Any deer in Powys?

Bomag

It looks like I may be moving to Powys, Builth Wells area, and was wondering if there are any wild deer in the area.
My Fiancee's family lives 6 miles north of Llandrindod Wells, and her Father says he's not seen one for years and years. Ive been out with the Hunt when weve been visiting family, and never seen any flushed by the hounds.

So are there any?

It looks like I may be moving to Powys, Builth Wells area, and was wondering if there are any wild deer in the area.
My Fiancee's family lives 6 miles north of Llandrindod Wells, and her Father says he's not seen one for years and years. Ive been out with the Hunt when weve been visiting family, and never seen any flushed by the hounds.

So are there any?

All depends where you are planning to stalk
fallow,roe and muntjac now in Powys.. I know
but also a lot of poachers and dedicated dog men
having access to over 30,000 + acres in that area
deer are few and far between
fallow back of Builth but in limited pockets
which hunt did you go out with
sounds like Ithon valley
but not sure why you would want to move to Builth
considering I call Builth south of Llandod...!!!

Yep, its the Ithon valley Hunt I go out with Stone.
You get a better class of fight in Builth!!! :rofl: Our son is in Builth High school already My Fiancee is living there plus our son is in Builth High school already, and if Im honest, we both prefer the area. Only down point (from a Southern point of view) is the price of fuel, but I can live with a few pence per litre more expensive versus the rat race in Surrey.

It's a small world
i hav a few friends that follow that pack... Some I also went to school with
Llandod high myself... Many moons ago that is
yep know the area and people well ....still not sure Builth would be my final resting place thou...lol
but atleast you hav a local gun shop to frequent... Does he serve coffee yet...??

Mother in law lives in Knighton walked the dog around there and seen the odd roe knocking about.

Pockets of Fallow between Welshpool and Manafon & Welshpool to Shrewsbury. These originate from Powys Castle on one side and Loton Park - Criggion Estate on the other. FC have some small woods in both locations and hammer any that move in them. Roe in the Hafren forstry that were starting to spread, so again the FC had a blitz a couple of years ago and knocked them back to very small numbers. :(

I live 7 miles north of llandrindod and also hunt with the ithon valley. We occasionaly flush roe when in radnor forest or weston but there are not many about.
Better change to foxes, you may have more opportunity and if you move up here I would be more than happy to show you round.

regards

Colin

We must've met Colin, Ive done a few meets with Ithon including 2011 Boxing day meet. Good bunch of blokes. Im usually with Matt, the 4x4 mechanic.

Many thanks for the invite, I will give you a call when Im up next.

Last edited:
I live 7 miles north of llandrindod and also hunt with the ithon valley. We occasionaly flush roe when in radnor forest or weston but there are not many about.
Better change to foxes, you may have more opportunity and if you move up here I would be more than happy to show you round.

regards

Colin
Good on you Trouty :thumb:, great invite there for you Bomag

I've heard talk of reds in one part of the county. Escapees that have naturalized apparently. As per another previous post, between the FC, poachers and dog men, I'm afraid deer do not have much of a hope to get established in decent numbers. Same here the other side of the border, although we do have some decent numbers of fallow in pockets but they get very badly hammered. Good to see some hunting folk on SD!

ATB

Penyard

regards

Colin

Hi Colin
Are there no fallow left in Radnor forest now??
i remembering seeing Roe in there 20+ years ago but the local dog men had them , as well as a few fallow
there were some cracking high towers in there at one time too
I remember them well , Lindsey was the ranger at the time ,
Muntjac at Presteigne , Llanidloes and Mac ... How the hell that got to Llanidloes
I hav no idea

I know matt very well, he is a top bloke and now vice chairman of the Ithon Valley.
You can always contact me through him.

regards

Colin

He sure is Colin. I cant wait to get out with the Hunt again, when does the season end? It will be mid-February before Im up in Wales, due to work here and in the States.

Hi Colin
Are there no fallow left in Radnor forest now??
i remembering seeing Roe in there 20+ years ago but the local dog men had them , as well as a few fallow
there were some cracking high towers in there at one time too
I remember them well , Lindsey was the ranger at the time ,
Muntjac at Presteigne , Llanidloes and Mac ... How the hell that got to Llanidloes
I hav no idea[/QUOTE

mac? Do you mean machynlleth thats strange I had a rural property for over 7 yrs there till last year and never heard of any muntjac we had the odd fallow come over from dolgellau, wales and deer are a rare thing.

Back