Pulsar Digisight doubler problem!

Munty_Hunter

Just wondered if anyone has a Sony doubler on their Digisight, i am having trouble with the focus on mine and would appreciate any help!!
:oops:

It is the Sony 1.7x lens brand new and a doubler from Dr Bob, I cant see how it can be fitted any other way but its not right. :(

Sorry but does anyone have a Sony doubler on their Digisight who wouldn't mind me asking a few questions.

Hello,

We retail the lens kits with a Pulsar 1.7x lens which is designed for use on a Pulsar Gen 2+ NV device, therefore transmits adequate light to the device and allows the device to focus properly.

As for the Sony lens, some people source, this is a camcorder lens, with considerably less light transfer within the lenses and not designed for a night vision device, and as we have no dealings whatsoever with Sony products, we are unable to offer advice I am afraid.

Regards

SC

Hello,

We retail the lens kits with a Pulsar 1.7x lens which is designed for use on a Pulsar Gen 2+ NV device, therefore transmits adequate light to the device and allows the device to focus properly.

As for the Sony lens, some people source, this is a camcorder lens, with considerably less light transfer within the lenses and not designed for a night vision device, and as we have no dealings whatsoever with Sony products, we are unable to offer advice I am afraid.

Regards

SC

Thanks very helpful, how does your kit fit the scope housing differently to allow this extra light through?

Hello, the adaptor we sell is the Dr Bob adaptor, which he also makes for a Sony lense, so the adaptor (apart from stepper ring) will be virtually indentical, so has no bearing on light transfer.

My point was that the optics of the Pulsar lense were "designed" for night vision devices, primarily Gen 2+ image intensifier devices, and therefore suited for low light conditions.

I do not know the F stop and light transfer characteristics of the Sony lens, but as it is a camcorder lense designed for personal video recording, i know it is not specifically designed for night vision was my point.

We tested these side by side when the idea first came about, (there is a video on Vimeo, will see if I can find it) and the clarity, focus, and light transfer was considerably better using the Pulsar lenses. (1.7x)

Regards

Paul

Have heard of people having trouble with the Scott Country doubler which has to use an additional adaptor ring and ends up extending the front of the sight a fair way. I have not heard of anyone else having a problem with the Sony ones moving, they thread directly into the locking colar. My problem is with the focus when the lense is fitted. The parallax has to be set at infinity to get a clear picture and it then looses focus beyond 40m :mad:.

I can't see if it's a problem with the adaptor or the lense?

Is the adaptor fully seated into the front of the Pulsar? - When I tried one it was initially a bit stiff to get fully seated but I've never heard of an upfront problem with focus.

The fact that they can move on firing is down to the use of grub screws (originally 3 off, then 4) to hold the adaptor in place ...my gut feeling is that it's asking a bit much of them to handle the recoil and many users have got round this either by gluing (extreme) the adaptor in place or using a silicone based sealant eg sanitory or window sealant which can be reasonably be removed without trace. This can probably affect the Yukon lense/adaptor set up too if it's not the two part adaptor recently sold by the guy in Portugal(?) - his version means taking the front of the Pulsar off to fit it - which invalidated the warranty if I remember reading the forums correctly.

If you don't get an answer here then I suggest joining the www.nightvisionforumuk.com Login forum and asking on there - loads of members here are on there too.

You'll get a straight and friendly answer too... several of them probably!

atb
Fizz
:cool:

Thanks Fizz, I am pretty sure the mounting collar is seated properly. The tapered end is actually against the front lens of the digisight and is therefore perfectly level. The only problem is if it is not supposed to be that far back and this what's effecting the focus.

Thanks Fizz, I am pretty sure the mounting collar is seated properly. The tapered end is actually against the front lens of the digisight and is therefore perfectly level. The only problem is if it is not supposed to be that far back and this what's effecting the focus.

To the best of my knowledge lordlardofframs started all this off a couple of years ago and settled on the Sony as the best of the bunch and Dr Bob started making the adaptors - initially with the 3 grub screws then 4. Having had a few pm conversations with lordy I got the impression that the Sony was pretty flexible on it's distance to the Pulsar objective - he ended up with a deeper recess to screw the Sony on than his original version - Lordy had details/vids etc posted on You Tube so m'be worth a look there.

Have you tried unscrewing the Sony looking through the Pulsar to see if that makes a difference?

Unfortunately that's about as far as my knowledge goes on these.... apart from the fact that the Sony works on the new N750 too.

The other board where you'll find plenty of advice is the airgun bbs.

Hope you sort it.

atb
Fizz
:cool:

We never had problems with Focus, just the zero shift. The Dr Bob was also pushed right back against the Pulsar lens and then screwed into place. Like above, try removing the sony and see if it is ok like that.

Ads

Thanks chaps, I have tried it again without the lens but it is fine. The Sony lens itself seems perfectly clear and crisp.

Back