Humane Slaughter

Todhunter

Yesterday, whilst Hunting, a friend's beloved horse broke its leg. We were in a remote spot and there was a need for urgency. The Gamekeeper produced an arsenal of weapons, including rifles, but the Huntsman, enormously experienced, opted for a .410 shotgun. Of course he was able to get right up close, but this was the most instant straightforward and relatively unmessy death in such circumstances I have seen. This would certainly be my choice of weapon in the same situation in future. We all have to be ready to do this in emergencies . I have seen a ghastly job done by a knacker with a .22 pistol on a bull, which needed more bullets than he had brought with him. Be prepared. A grizzly subject, but I wonder if members have opinions on what is best.

.310 Greener
my father (vet) had a range of antique humane killers of brass and steel (pictured)
placement is the key as with any bullet.
never saw an animal not go down in one

GHCC%20WITH%20BAG%20LABELED.jpg

Good friend of mine recently asked for a 410 pistol for humane dispatch (deer/cattle) and was declined as they said it wasn't man enough for the job A&S.

I have a cash captive bolt and it drops everything! The .410 is an excellent choice for dispatch, pistols are for cowboys!:stir:

I have a fully moderated folding .410 which is my weapon of choice for RTA's. Normally use 18 gram of No.6 shot at close range. I wouldn't have a pistol other than one which could fire .45 colt long as well as .410 which could be a useful combination. Too much ricochet risk from a pistol bullet for my liking!
MS

Shot a large horse with a 25-06 and 100grn SP bullets from about 50yds away. This was at the request of the vet in attendance as we could not get closer. He told me where the brain was located. It dropped it where it stood with not even a kick coming from it. The vet had no experience with rifles and their energy, but was genuinely shocked at how efficient it was compared to some of his experiences with the .38 pistol he often used...

PARDON THE TERMINOLOGY BUT " HORSES FOR COURSES" depending on the situation your faced with.
Dispatch of RTA deer with people around, a shot gun is useful especially if the deer is floundering about.Getting a good angle and safe backdrop for a larger calibre of rifle is not always possible. Some people are competent with a pistol and a knife into the atlas joint is a quick switch off but you risk getting a kick and if there's bystanders they may not appreciate your efforts. I have horrible memories of .22 rimfire bullets ricocheting around a stone byre when trying to help dispatch goatlings for a nieghbour.

I've also had a .22 ricochet around the barn from trying to shoot an old ewe between the eyes. I've now learnt that the back of the head is much softer. No good for casualty animals but if they are still eating I put a bucket of cake on the floor and shoot them while they have thier head in it. Nice safe downward shot.

As a lad I worked in a slaughterhouse and we always used a fourten for bulls. Nowadays if I have to put down an injured bullock I generally use a 28, never had a problem. As has been said 22 for sheep.

my friend loves his 410 pistol, i like my 357 we keep bulls so the 357 is easy to carry around being short but always there if you have a problem.
In most emergancy situations you are ill prepared so something familar and comfortable would always be my recomendation.

like the man said earlier in thread horses for course.

The vet we work with has a captive bolt for close qarters a .357 pistol that fires a realy soft bullet that i have never seen exit a animal.He uses a 270 for animals he cant get close to.

ATB

Kev

As a slaughter man . I use a12s for cattle and big pigs . And my 260 for any out of range or are a danger to themselves or other people . IE escapes . Cheers Neil

Early Type cash x will work fine but pithing is sometimes required
Any one not familiar with pithing look hear.
Pithing - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
View attachment 23129

i used to work as a knacker man and always used a captive bolt with a pithing rod.

this was used on cows and horses etc.

the bolt would STUN the animal which made it look like you killed it but it did not. then i always had to find the hole in the head and push a long plastic rod through the brain and down the spinal cord.

some lasy knacker men did not pith the animals and one or two where know to 'wake up' before they got to the incinerator!!

not good.

getting close to the animal is important in most cases it can be done but not all.

i used to work as a knacker man and always used a captive bolt with a pithing rod.

this was used on cows and horses etc.

the bolt would STUN the animal which made it look like you killed it but it did not. then i always had to find the hole in the head and push a long plastic rod through the brain and down the spinal cord.

some lasy knacker men did not pith the animals and one or two where know to 'wake up' before they got to the incinerator!!

not good.

getting close to the animal is important in most cases it can be done but not all.

The captive bolt stuns the beast which should then be bled immediately! Cant wake up then!:doh:

Ive used many over the years,mainly .22 captive bolts which could be lacking on really big stuff,now use a 9mm , no need to reach for the shotgun nowadays;)

A captive bolt would not be my first choice in a horse as their heads are very mobile and they usually come with a fussy owner attached, who wont like you pithing/bleeding 'Bonny'.

Have an old .22 captive bolt and it is underpowered for large cattle/bulls. The 9mm model much better. Still need to bleed/pith.

I'd have used a .410 in the same situation.

My favourite method for horses is a .32 pistol. Most owners elect to have them injected.

You cannot get a safe angle with a long barrelled rifle in a standing horse. You need to aim down the spine.

I always use .410
2" cartridge for sheep,
2.5" for pigs,
3" for cattle.

Ideal. I do a fair amount of humane despatch, but only once had to do a horse. .410 was good for that too.

Back