Tikka T3

LONG RANGE CAPT

I think I've narrowed down my new rifle choice to a Tikka T3 varmint left handed with 20 inch barrel.

But is it worth bedding a stock or keeping it as it is out the box ?

Does bedding really help that much - if the guns been well made in the first place ?

I have 2. Both left handed. I lightened the trigger to 1.9 lbs. it is great and crisp. The 223 is grouping less than 1moa with factory ammo. The 243 is about 1 moa. I am chewing over the fact of shortening the barrel on the 223 as it is a foxing rifle and often used out of a truck with nv. I could live with a bit less power down range if it will make it more pointable, slightly lighter and easier in the truck.
now as soon as they start making a 17 HMR I will buy one of those as well.

I like tikka.

Sorry, to answer your question, I don't think it is worthwhile bedding in. I could get better accuracy by reloading. And as soon as I shoot out the factory ammo I will indeed.

The difference is that individual parts are made with a tolerance, the stock must be made larger than the action otherwise it does not fit
meaning their will be slop or play. Bedding removes this play which is what one wants in the rifle stock fit. Many people even epoxy bed AICS stocks
or other aluminium bedding blocks. My take is that a rifle is not finished if it is not bedded. Smaller calibers like 223 are not as sensitive as
larger recoiling rifles and bedding might not be quite as important.
Not sure if your injection moulded stock is that great for bedding as epoxy does not stick well to most of these plastics.
Bedding generally might not shrink your groups but will make POI more consistant over time which is more important.

edi

I have a t3 in 270 cal out of the box 4yrs ago still groups half inch 5 bullets at 100yds and I put about 400/500 rounds a yr in It.

gadget

i have the t3 super varmint in 243 over 5000 rounds have gone down rainge with no problems and still shoots under 1in at 100yards all day long onley ajustment to trigger not beded barrel cut to 20in and recrowned get one great guns

I have just bought a left handed T3 light weight stainless S/H in 308 and I am very impressed with how it shoots.
I have just had time to zero it in and have not had time to play with it as yet due to the monsoon season being upon us. It was zeroed with 150 gr federal power shock . It was grouping 3shots all touching at 100meters from a cold barrel and hope to better this with home loads.

Bob

doubt you'll see any benefit from bedding, better spend the money elsewhere.
Never seen a T3 shoot badly and a lot have passed through the club.

Two tikka lites .223 had for ages and just sold my trusty cz and bought another lite in .243. Id say out the box theyre one of, if not "the best" factory rifle available for under a grand. I just adjust the trigger right down which takes 30 seconds to do and thats it.

I'm also thinking of getting one over a Sako as just a different name really. I'm thinking of getting it in .223 or .22 250 next week.

Rob remember the mole hill at 830yds on glens place ? that was with my 223 tikka standard manufactured stock straight out the box :) although i did eventually change that stock to a robertson..i do have another tikka 223 with dedicated NV on still to great effect since tikka T3 came out.

When I got mine there was little or no gap on each side between the barrel and the stock on but loads of clearance underneath so I sanded it down a little with a piece of pipe and sand paper,great rifle good choice

I have the Tikka T3 Varmint in 6.5x55 and would recomend it to anyone, I havent touched anything with the gun other than lightening the trigger and I am very impressed with the accuracy.

H.B. T3 Varminter 6.5X55 as out of the box.
3 Shots at 100 yards.
HWH.
65X55withHornady140grSpirepoint.jpg

Back