Addressing someone with a title.

bobjs

Addressing someone with a title.

If you where to be introduced to a person with the title of a LORD.

would you call him Lord ???

or Sir, ?

bob.

Bob,

It depends on the actual title. If he's Lord John Smith, then Lord John would be fine, but if he is the Earl of Somewhere, I would address him as Lord Somewhere. There is nothing disrespectful in 'Sir', especially in more general conversation and I'd revert to Sir sooner rather than later. I wouldn't overdo the use of any title like this as it can sound sycophantic. I'm sure the person concerned would give you a steer as you got to know them.

I used to know all this sort of thing, years ago...

He won't be Lord John Smith as you can't have that style unless you hypenate the names as did George Brown to become Lord George-Brown. The "powers that be" don't like it!

So unless he is a hypenated Lord John-Smith in which case you'd address him as "Lord John-Smith" you'd address his as Lord Smith initially and subsequently as "My Lord" unless, as noted, he gave you a steer as to how he'd prefere to be adressed.

Where a Lord John Smith could exist, AND be correctly addressed as Lord John would be when he was the younger son of a Duke or Marquis and then, as a courtesy, he'd be addressed as "Lord John".

But if he is a Baron (or Life Peer) then it is "Lord Smith".

hi bob ive worked in a stately home before and came into contact with gentry a fair bit while beating and loading on grouse moors and ive found that sir works pretty well all round, hope the interview goes well mate

jim

If he were a noticable good bit older then me I'd call him Sir !

If he were my age or thereabouts I'd call him by his given name .

If he were an ARSE I'd call him something not pleasent !

that website mentioned above "addressing people of title", suggests that US senators and representatives be addressed as: "The Honorable..."

from where I sit, supposedly represented by those folks... damn few of them DESERVE to be called anything "honorable"!

Maybe you all have better luck with your "Lords".

Poole

Is it for a formal interview Bob? If the person is landed ie the earl of Southampton. Then it would be lord Southampton.

If you your addressing lord Sugar. It would be lord Sugar.

I know how you feel though.

I Had this same situation a couple of years ago. But I have now found that most landed gentry don't use Thier title unless they NEED to and where it will give them some kind of advantage.

It is safe to say that most will guide you as to what they prefer. In my case I addressed the gentleman concernd with Lord xxxxxxxxxxx. I was immediately told not to bother with the title,as for colleagues it was not nessercery. I have never used it since.

I expect life peers to be different though. Ie lord Sugar.

It is worth adding if you are announced by a servant. For example.

"A Mr Bob to see you my lord" always use title (my lord) unless steered otherwise.

If you are greeted in person then they will steer you from the outset. But use title if he dos'nt introduce him self.

You can ask though!

Good luck Bob.

If he were a noticable good bit older then me I'd call him Sir !

If he were my age or thereabouts I'd call him by his given name .

If he were an ARSE I'd call him something not pleasent !

:doh: Good luck with that

But I guess thats the difference.

I made the mistake of calling my grandfather SIR once. He put his hand on my shoulder, and said.

"The Queen hasn't got round to making me a knight yet simon and we are not Americans"

Have met several people with titles and only one asked to be called by it on a daily basis, the elder ones I called mr whatever, there sons by there christian names.the one who insisted to be called the squire I asked him to refer to me as Mr xxxxx not xxxx.

If it were me I'd start off with lord ...... And hope he would say just call me (whatever his first name was)

If you your addressing lord Sugar. It would be lord Sugar.

If I were addressing Lord Sugar it would be either Alan or Mr Sugar... I am of the firm belief that no human being is better than another (with the exception of murderers and kiddy fiddlers), no matter how wealthy they may be or how much land they own.
Not much use to Bob in his job interview but that's my opinion.

Manners and etiquette cost nothing. It is not a matter of "I am better than you." The way to address a lord is the salutation followed by "your lordship" ie good morning, your lordship, excuse me your lordship. Then normal policy is to revert to sir unless instructed otherwise. With a duke it is the same but you use "your grace". Contact with these people are usually on their patch. They are as entitled to be treated their position entitles them to. As stated previously when the contact is in the normal every day world they usually if in without the airs and graces and on first name terms. And before you jump in as many on here will testify "real class shows." There is. Marked difference. Jim

Hot Potatoe

For the sake of an interview, you certainly don't want to p*** someone off, right at the start! so, as said if it's Lord Jim, then Lord Jim it is unless told otherwise!
Use the title that you are given in the introduction , untill told otherwise.

Personally, I have always struggled with titles and can honestly say that I have never called anyone "sir", just can't do it! It's my red blood
As you can imagine, as a keeper it is often expected. I must admit , that I have never had a problem and if unsure just spoken to the individual directly, without a title. Previous employers with a title have benn called Lord XXXXX or Sir "Christian Name".

I've dealt with royalty to paupers and they are all" Jock Tamsons bairns"

Nowadays, it is unusual of anyone to want a formal title used, beware of those who do.

Incidently, if addressing a Duke, it's "your grace" EDIT, sorry Jimbo, just read your post

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with 6pt-sika, spot on.

If you are going for a job as keeper on a posh estate it is a different matter, you must accept that wearing fancy dress and forelock tugging are part of the job. Indeed more important than being a good keeper.

My indirect boss is an hereditary peer and i have never yet used his title when talking to him, i have discerned no problem with this.

Cheers lads.

Ill address him at the meeting/interview as Lord ? and from then on sir unless told other wise.

interview is at 12 noon at the estate offices (bring outside clothing with you)

im a tad on the nervous side,as i have never done this kind of work before but there is always a first time,

bob.

Back