It seems I was wrong...

Si

We all know that a permission letter is needed to establish good reason to acquire a firearm.... right?

But I've just had a text conversation with someone who already has a .223 conditioned for fox and has a trip planned (North of the Border) to stalk Roe. He's asked the FEO to add smaller deer to his ticket. I told him that should be fine but he has been told that he needs a permission letter from the actual landowner, not the leaseholder.

Thing is, I know loads of instances where 1 person is the main leaseholder and 5 or 6 others shoot there with his permission. F.C leases for example, where they don't own the land they are just appointed managers.

I'm confused :confused:

Last edited:
That's codswallop.

Lots of land is sold without the sporting rights, one particular farm local to me I shoot on as a friend leases the sporting rights from the owner. There is a tenant farming the land.

In this case the owner of the land has leased out the rights so could not give me permission.

don't stand for it, push back.

its the Police stretching the boundaries of their control

I shoot on land where the land owner wouldn't know me from Adam.
how the hell would he give me a letter of authorisation, he has absolutely nothing to do with the estate management, what gets shot or who shoots it.

the person with the sporting rights decides who shoots what unless the terms of their lease restrict that.
in which case show a letter of authorisation to the 1st person which then dictates that THEY control the sporting rights.
So long as you don't have very restrictive conditions about 3rd party shooting or guests there is no issue

Friend of mine in Wales had the same issue trying to assist his nephew by giving him permission on his permissions.....south Wales police wouldn't accept it, but wanted individual landowners consent.
Can anyone please quote firearms guidance with regards to....
I have looked at ACPO For England, Wales & Norhtern Ireland,s Procedural Good Practice Guide 2002, and I quote the following regarding the GRANT AND VARIATION OF A FIREARMS CERTIFICATE:

2:3 GOOD REASON @ 2:3 b) check land suitablility, if no supporting evidence (ie from BASC) or no prior knowledge (ie from local land registry)
2:3 c) check land permission

Regarding the VARIATION OF A FIREARMS CERTIFICATE:

3:3 a) consider good reason, for firearm(s) and/ammunition, including supporting letters from LANDOWNERS, club records from secretary etc
3:3 d) check land suitability in those cases where the APPLICANT wishes to use a new type of firearm over land, but only if no supporting evidence (ie from BASC) or no prior knowledge (eg from local land registry)
3:3 f) check land permission

Iam unable to find any information where it states that AN INDIVIDUAL LANDOWNERS CONSENT IS MANDATORY

I think common sense should prevail, and you should be able to proceed on the basis that all of us who stalk on various parcels of land within the UK are either breaking the law/conditions imposed on our certificates........or we are carrying out our lawful activities with due dilligence. If in doubt contact BASC, BDS, NGO, or CA

I had a quick shufty on the BASC website and I found this paragrph to be quite interesting...

The grant/renewal forms contain the only questions you are legally required to answer.
However, when the enquiry officer visits you he or she may wish to run through land
or permission details where details may be vague or lacking in some way. It is for the
applicant to satisfy the good reason requirement so some dialogue may be necessary.
Other than the statutory application and referees’ forms, no other forms are legal or
necessary. The Application Form is a legal document which the applicant signs. It is a
criminal offence to knowingly or recklessly make false statements to acquire a certificate or
variation. Other than demonstrating good reason and completing the statutory forms; if the
police do not believe you it is up to them to check with your club or person holding the
shooting rights etc, not for you to offer proof.

I have
"the .223 rifle, sound moderator and ammunition shall be used for shooting roe deer as prescribed under the deer (firearms etc) (scotland) order 1985 on land in Scotland."

Have never had permission in scotland.

I have
"the .223 rifle, sound moderator and ammunition shall be used for shooting roe deer as prescribed under the deer (firearms etc) (scotland) order 1985 on land in Scotland."

Have never had permission in scotland.

Just as I thought... I know others with deer listed as a quarry on their ticket who have no permission of their own.
What's frustrating about this is you try to get others into shooting by offering to be... (dare I say it) "a mentor" but the FLD's keep throwing stumbling blocks in the way.

I specified in my application that my intention was to go stalking as a guest, paying or non-paying. I live in London so I don't have any specific permissions. That was fine, the Met were happy with that. I had a couple of letters from people I'd been stalking with, and that did the trick.

My first ticket was issued with no more than a letter from FCS stating that if I was issued with an FAC I could apply for Highland permit stalking. I still have the note and am eternally grateful to the Servant of the Crown in question as you might expect.

When my FAC arrived it was “open” for deerstalking but nothing else. In fact the wording, or rather lack thereof, was such that I couldn’t use it on a range which probably had something to do with the fact I didn’t belong to a club!

Things have changed I see.

Cheers

K

Back