New NightMaster NM800IR Infrared Illuminator Digisight Kit

Scott Country

Hello,

We have had lots of enquiries about fitting the new Night Master NM800IR Infrared illuminator to night vision devices, in particular the Pulsar Digisight riflescopes and Pulsar Recon hand held units and had enquiries from the forum on how we can fit them to your NV devices.

As you probably know the issue with a generic IR illuminator is aligning the output pattern with the vision through your device and physical attachment other than using the slightly crude riflescope mount, which I admit is fine on a DSA based NV device.

The new Night Master mounts have arrived into stock today, and I thought i would give you a sneak peak of how it works.

Initial impressions are that it may appear bulky, but they weigh less than 300gms with batteries, and does not adversely effect the handling on a centrefire sporting rifle, in fact its actually only a little heavier than a Laserluchs kit, at a third of the cost and amazing power output for such a small device. (500m claimed, although effectively we could illuminate a fox target at 250m perfectly comfortably on an N750, to the point we would feel safe and confident identifying and taking a shot)

Massively over engineered they are I agree, but accurate, positive and well made with it with horizontal and vertical adjustment with a positive lockoff when aligned also.

It has a quick release system for removing the complete unit and mount from your Digisight in seconds, but remains secure that you can knock it, bump it and fire large rounds through without movement.

You can also quickly release the Nightmaster to swap from devices also but leave the mount fixed to your NV device.

Really brings the fantastic power of the Night Master illuminators to your NV kit with a secure method of attachment now.

We have been using the new Mk2 Night Master NM800IR on our demo Digisight N750 and Recon 750 units, and are very impressed, to a level we only usually get excited about when using Laserluchs devices......

Regards

Paul

nightmaster21.jpg

nightmasterb.jpg

nightmasteredit.jpg

Last edited:
Looks really great.

Can't wait until we have a users report and some feed back, i have only seen the older model at work, but i would like to see this and use it at some point in the future, so anyone around this neck of the woods who has one,... can i come and see how good they are,

Needs to be in the same format as above.

bob.

Hello, yes indeed it is fully adjustable horizontally, vertically and laterally.

We are not at the shooting show, however if someone with a Digisight on the forum wishes to try one we have a demo service.

Also I believe Mike Powell from Sporting Rifle will be doing a review shortly.

Regards

Paul

I recently bought one which goes on my scope (crudely ? no - I get perfect alignment every time) in support of my Archer. Did a little test by switching on the Nightmaster and also the Firefly and going back 100 yds. At this range I could easily see the laser light of the Firefly but had difficulty in seeing the IR of the nightmaster. Also, I found that the Nightmaster gave a better sight on the scope's recticle. As far as being better at distance than the Firefly, my personal view is that there is little difference, however, a friend with a different scope reckons the Nightmaster gives at least a 15% better sight picture than his Firefly.

When i referred to the riflescope mount as being a little "crude" what i refer to is the fact if you are fitting it to a riflescope there is little scope for adjustment.

On a DSA NV device it is miles out on our test rig, however the new weaver mount addresses this perfectly.

I happen to know the guys at Night Master are also working on an aftermarket scope mount to address this issue for telescopic sight mounting, particularly with rear mounted NV devices (think Pulsar Challenger and aligning the IR beam on spot with the optics of your NV device. Not easy with the standard scope mount.

For discussion differences, we have

1. A top quality (over engineered) weaver mount for NV fitment with full horizontal, vertical and lateral adjustment (accurate and positive)

nightmaster21.jpg

2. The supplied scope mount with negligible adjustment "scope", does the job but is slightly "crude" in its operation compared to the new weaver mount.

high-scope-mount.jpg

I recently bought one which goes on my scope (crudely ? no - I get perfect alignment every time) in support of my Archer. Did a little test by switching on the Nightmaster and also the Firefly and going back 100 yds. At this range I could easily see the laser light of the Firefly but had difficulty in seeing the IR of the nightmaster. Also, I found that the Nightmaster gave a better sight on the scope's recticle. As far as being better at distance than the Firefly, my personal view is that there is little difference, however, a friend with a different scope reckons the Nightmaster gives at least a 15% better sight picture than his Firefly.

Im a bit confused. I've read this 3 times and something doesn't seem right. You say you had difficulty in seeing the ir of the nightmaster but that the nightmaster showed the ret better? Am I just being dim?

Im a bit confused. I've read this 3 times and something doesn't seem right. You say you had difficulty in seeing the ir of the nightmaster but that the nightmaster showed the ret better? Am I just being dim?

Dec,

I think that the comment wrt to seeing the Nightmaster comes from running the two sources together at the same time - i.e. overlaid - so the Firefly is a bit brighter at closer distances - but separately the NM gives more IR light and at a frequency that suits the NV. - Well that's my interpretation anyway.

I've used the NM800 IR with a variety of NV devices and found it has performed very well. The LED line which shows when in sharp focus can be a bit of a pain, but it is still an excellent bit of kit out to well over 300 yards.

Ah, cheers for that, long day.
. I have been doing a bit of experimenting and bought a Chinese ir for about £20. It's not bad, certainly no nm useful for the ratting and pigeons and would work well on .22 ranges. Got another ir made by someone on a different forum which is really good just trying to hook it all up on the rifle. That is why I am interested on the bracket more so. And let's not mention the thermal. Cor that's fantastic.
All the kit and I missed a freaking fox last Sunday that was an easy shot. Boy, was I mildly irritated. To much armchair warrior. :D
Hope alls well with you. We never did get round to that meet. I got a CZ in the end.
Back to the plot.

No you are not being dim - I just tried to keep my comments to a minimum. What I did with the experiment was to rest 2 rifles pointing at a gate 100 yds away (bolts out !!) then walked to the gate and looked back at both IR s to see which was brightest and found I could hardly see the NM light which is a big plus as previously I had a fox which bolted when the firefly laser shone on it. Re the scope recticle, I found the NM gave a crisper image of the NXS recticle

Hope that explains it better

No you are not being dim - I just tried to keep my comments to a minimum. What I did with the experiment was to rest 2 rifles pointing at a gate 100 yds away (bolts out !!) then walked to the gate and looked back at both IR s to see which was brightest and found I could hardly see the NM light which is a big plus as previously I had a fox which bolted when the firefly laser shone on it. Re the scope recticle, I found the NM gave a crisper image of the NXS recticle

Hope that explains it better

Much better. Makes complete sense. Thanks.

Back