Dawg Insurance

In general:
Pet Plan OK, higher spec policies are better
Animal Friends seem quite good and are supposedly ethical
More than seem OK
Tescos cover on basic policy generally inadequate, lifetime cover options OK
Sainsburys and M&S OK as well

Avoid E&L at all costs!! :evil:

In general look for a policy that will cover for the life of the dog (lifetime policies) and offers adequate cover. I would suggest £4000 per condition per year as a sensible minimum. Bear in mind that any pre-existing conditions will not be covered. As always with insurance read the small print very carefully. Some policies these days will not cover hereditary problems including hip dysplasia which can be a big problem with some gundog breeds.

Hope this helps

S

I do mine through M&S. £7000 per year per condition for the life of the dog. £14 per month. £70 excess.

My young lab had a hip replacement & they paid out the £4000 :eek: no probs> although I'll be interested to see what happens come renewall time :rolleyes:

Just taken out a policy with More Than, for £115.08 a year my dawg is "covered for life", which is what I was told was the best policy, just hope I never have to use it, but its nice to know its in place.

David BASC said:
Double check they cover working dogs, many will not- if they say they do, then get it in wirting!

I insure mine through these guys

www.pet-insurance.co.uk

David

The web site says they don't insure dogs used for "trade or business" - which would seem to rule out anyone in the beating line who gets paid expenses or benefits?

I double checked this, before I took out the policy. That exclusion is to take out guard dogs, sniffer dogs, sheep dogs and the like. I asked them to that my working gundog was covered even if I get paid a few quid in expenses, birds, food/ beer, and they said it was all OK.

They have sensibly realised there is a difference between a recreational shooter and a professional dog handeler.

David

NFU - but you'll have to go through a regional office - I can give you a number if you PM me. I had loads of hassle as I get "paid" picking up so loads of companies wouldn't insure mine - even the one David mentions, although it appears to depend on who you speak to at the time! NFU works out just over a tenner a month and covers me for all I need.

Back