Factory .308 hornady 168grain A-MAX ammunition

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jst wondering if any1 on this forum uses hornady .308 168grain or 178gr A-MAX factory loaded ammunition? lf so id like to hear opinions on it for hunting fallow! Also accuracy/bullet performance/Can this bullet perform at long ranges on medium sized game? Ive heard this bullet can be used effectively on medium sized game at 800+ but want to hear some more opinions. Thanks in advance for any replies ;)

Not tried the Amax on deer, its a bit of a touchy subject on here BTW. I have some 168gns in 7mm and they shoot very well, I bought them to play around with when re-loading as they are cheap and available mail order. By all accounts its a highly frangible bullet and will still open up reliably at low velocities ie longer ranges, but blow up is possible at higher velocities. It would probably be better to choose some other BT bullet thats designed for the job unless you are really pushing the range..

I am hoping to find a deer load with a similar trajectory to the Amax so that I can use tha amax for fox and the other for deer and not have to mess about with the scope too much between loads. I have some 150 gn nosler BT's to try, some 160gn swift scirocco's and some 168gn Berger VLD's. I'll post how I get on.

Jst wondering if any1 on this forum uses hornady .308 168grain or 178gr A-MAX factory loaded ammunition? lf so id like to hear opinions on it for hunting fallow! Also accuracy/bullet performance/Can this bullet perform at long ranges on medium sized game? Ive heard this bullet can be used effectively on medium sized game at 800+ but want to hear some more opinions. Thanks in advance for any replies ;)

My best match loads for my 308 right now are with the 168 grain A-Max. A very accurate bullet. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on deer in MY location and probably will next fall, but I would not use any 308 at 800 yards on "medium" sized game (deer) with any bullet. ~Muir

FWIW I have friends who hunt mountain mule deer with Sierra 168 grn Match Kings. They claim rapid kills with decent bullet placement.

You are obviously quite new to the site so may be unaware of previous debates about the use of A-Max bullets here in the U.K. I would suggest that you do a search of previous postings on the subject so that you understand the situation here in England & Wales. It's a very contencious subject and combined with the subject of long range hunting could suggest to many that your posting may be a bit of a wind up.

This man has some interesting comments on the performance of various bullets - Knowledgebase In terms of search, this site doesn't have a good search facility, but I suggest you Google for your query. Regards JCS

My best match loads for my 308 right now are with the 168 grain A-Max. A very accurate bullet. I wouldn't hesitate to use them on deer in MY location and probably will next fall, but I would not use any 308 at 800 yards on "medium" sized game (deer) with any bullet. ~Muir

FWIW I have friends who hunt mountain mule deer with Sierra 168 grn Match Kings. They claim rapid kills with decent bullet placement.
ive been tempted to try e smk on a deer Muir but never got around to it,they are awesome out to 600yds,not bad at 1000yds either with 45.5grs of varget behind them in my 308

ive been tempted to try e smk on a deer Muir but never got around to it,they are awesome out to 600yds,not bad at 1000yds either with 45.5grs of varget behind them in my 308

In which country would you have been tempted to use the Sierra Match King then swarovski, I note that muir actually said "in my location" ?
http://www.sierrabullets.com/index.cfm?section=bullets&page=rifle&brandID=1

http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/47283-A-Max/page3?highlight=A-max Post #30

Last edited:
I think it is very important to test bullets and maybe even adjust shot placement according to the bullet.
A-Max work very well but can fail under certain conditions like many others bullets too. In a few cases I have had more
carcass damage with Hornady interlock soft point, SST and even 150gr SP out of a slow 30-30 than compared to A-Max.
Had an A-max fail on an angled shoulder shot just as a bonded Fusion bullet also failed under similar angle.
Only tried 155 SMK's once on fox and won't do it again.
A friend of mine shoots goats in Mallorca often over 600m with his 308 and his verdicht is that the 168 A-max is the best bullet he has used so far.
The terrain he shoots over just doesn't allow to get closer at times.
For me shots over 300m are an exception.
edi

I think it is very important to test bullets and maybe even adjust shot placement according to the bullet.
A-Max work very well but can fail under certain conditions like many others bullets too. In a few cases I have had more
carcass damage with Hornady interlock soft point, SST and even 150gr SP out of a slow 30-30 than compared to A-Max
Had an A-max fail on an angled shoulder shot just as a bonded Fusion bullet also failed under similar angle.
Only tried 155 SMK's once on fox and won't do it again.
A friend of mine shoots goats in Mallorca often over 600m with his 308 and his verdicht is that the 168 A-max is the best bullet he has used so far.
The terrain he shoots over just doesn't allow to get closer at times.
For me shots over 300m are an exception.
edi

I'm not sure this is a sign of failure. Expanding bullets are meant to inflict this sort of damage, so I'd say these have done their job.

Sinistral, what I meant with failure were a few cases of bullets bouncing off a shoulder, same effect with different bullets
A-max or Fusion.

Meat damage: although A-max normally has a reputation for doing excessive carcass damage I observed that
meat damage is similar to a soft point and often even less damage.
edi

Last edited:
There we go,
I thought this was a bit much, especially for a normal soft point (not an A-Max) from a 308.
In it's defence the bullet did take some bone with it.
edi
DSCN7453.jpg

The reason that the Amax probably causes less damage will most likely be due to its relatively high for caliber weight when compared with Vmax or other ballistic tips, its velocity that causes rapid expansion and a 168Amax out of my 7-08 will be going slower than a 120 or 140gn ballistic tip.

Here we go again the same old argument over A-max bullets. They are classed as non expanding match (target) bullets the same as Sierra Matchkings so not legal for deer stalking in the majority of the U.K. end of story. Please lock this thread admin.

:locked::locked::locked:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back