scope choice

20/20

just got 9.3x62 on ticket for deer & boar , im trying to sort scope choice out what im looking for [if its possible] is one scope to do highseat, stalking, & driven possibles are duralyt 1.2x5x36, duralyt 2x8x42 , or aimpoint red dot. any advise from the more experianced on sd would be most welcome.

steve

Steve,

It depends on how much of the types of shooting your doing. I would say that for highseats work the aim point sight wouldn't be a great choice, great for driven shooting at closer ranges though. If your using the scope for a mixture of these I would say the 2-8x42 would be the best choice , the reason for this is that the 42mm will give you better light gathering in the lower light of dusk and dawn when your likely to be in the highseats. The 1.2-5x36 would be a good choice if you were doing a reasonable amount of driven shooting where the ranges are a going to be 60m+ as the aim point sights dot will be covering a larger amount of the target past this sort of range and the scope would make shooting at this range more accurate. Happy to discuss this with you if you send me a pm.

Cheers Jon

I bought a duralyt in 1.2-5x36 for a trip to Finland on driven game. The reason I went for it is it works well with both eyes open without one eye seeing things larger than the other which is off putting. At 5x's it seems fine in the woodland environment. I took a fallow at 90 yds from a seat couple weeks back and it was nearly dark. If you remember the size of the pupil is about 7mm then any good glass where the objective divided by the ocular = 7 mm then you are not gong to be able to benefit from any extra light gathered. so 36/5=7.2. if you want a little more magnification for longer shots and not likely to be doing much running game then the 2-8x42 would be a good choice. Or if your budget stretches far enough I think swaro z6 range has a 1.2 -10x50 or something like but they are loads of dosh. I guess though you got the 9.6 for running game not long range.
I'm real pleased with mine and the dot is very small and brilliant in low light.
Hope I've been a little help?

Have a look at the Zeiss 1.5-6x42 (Classic Diavari).

I used one recently in Sweden for moose and was very impressed when it was at 1.5, and the 6x power makes it good for high seat and woodland work as well. If you can get it with an illuminated reticle then even better. If I can find a secondhand one then I will likely buy it myself!

willie_gunn

know the old brain box is going around in circles,i suppose idealy if funds allowed the answer would be 2 scopes 1 for driven, 1 for stalking, without haveing to compromise

regards steve

The best compromise scope is something like a Swaro 1.7-10x42. More than adequate for occasional driiven trip and the 42mm front lens gives up very little for low light high seat work.

On that subject, I am off to the airport now, heading to Hungary this afternoon...

Either the zeiss or swarovski would be my choice, that and a good set of back-up sights and you'll have a really versatile rig.........especially for around here.
AB

I get on well with Leopold scopes, I have 3 and never had any problems. The vxl gives good light and sits as low as a 40mm scope.

Shot a boar last year running flat out at maybe 10yds with a 2.5-10x52 Zeiss and shot a few deer running at very close range with a 2.5-10x50 kaps.
I think the 1.2-5x36 would be the better choice for running game especially with a day dot and would be ok the high seat too.
Duralyt's are good, might even have more light transmission than sawro or higher end Zeiss.
edi

I fully agree with PKL, nothing beats hi viz open sights for driven, thus get a good stalking scope with QD mounts. Take scope with you if going driven and you find yourself in a place where shots over 70m are needed. S&B flash dots scopes are unbeatable. I also shoot a 9.3x62.

i had a 1.5-4+20 with apel mounts on a drilling and used the low mag, most of the time i took it off and used the pop up sight, 70-80 yards

Back