Northern Ireland and Ireland Stalkers - DEER MANAGEMENT COURSE

An Taín Hunting Outfitter

I have had a brief chat with Jelen Deer Services.

They have mentioned they would run a course here at home if we get 12 people.

It could be ran in a central location Newry or Enniskillen (centralised for those travelling from North Antrim, Dublin or Galway) and maybe we could tie in with the IDS or BDS to bring an experienced dog handler in to give a brief on breeds, methodology and essential contacts to other organisations how supply stalking, gear or days out tagging/counting deer.

If you are 100% confident you would attend please clearly state in a reply so numbers can be estimated.

Would this be with a view to leading to a qualification or would it just be for general information?

Also would there be any practical element or would it be classroom based?

What would the focus be? I'd guess it would be mostly ecology and the like as the legal differences north/south would make that aspect tricky.

It would be a Deer Mgt qualification. If we have diFferent legislative requirements in NI \ ROI, it sounds like we need a bespoke course that addresses such issues, allowing those that have passed to work north or south regardless.

I will contact Jelen to gain more information.

Hi Ronan,

If we were to run a course for you guys in Ireland, it would be a bespoke course, but the same course we run in England - The LANTRA approved Deer Managers Course - written and developed by Jelen Deer Services.

Let me know how many people would wish to do it, and if we (and you) feel it necessary we can schedule a series of courses over the next year.

Best regards,

Mike
(Director - Jelen Deer Services) Jelen Deer

Hi Ronan,

If we were to run a course for you guys in Ireland, it would be a bespoke course, but the same course we run in England - The LANTRA approved Deer Managers Course - written and developed by Jelen Deer Services.

Let me know how many people would wish to do it, and if we (and you) feel it necessary we can schedule a series of courses over the next year.

Best regards,

Mike
(Director - Jelen Deer Services) Jelen Deer

Hi Mike is your deer managers course similar to the BDS deer managers course, as the one i did last year was a lantre approved 5 day course ?

regards Anthony

Hi Mike is your deer managers course similar to the BDS deer managers course, as the one i did last year was a lantre approved 5 day course ?

regards Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Our Deer Managers Course is unlike any other similar training course on the market, both in the way it is delivered and the content that is delivered.

We have become aware of shortfalls in other 'Deer Manager Courses' through feedback from deligates who have attended. The general feeling from most of whom we spoke to were disappointed with the content of other courses, believing that a significant part of it was 'padding' and unnecessary. One subject in particular was the time spent on talking about 'CUSTOM RIFLES' where deligates failed to see the relevance to deer management.

Another common 'complaint' was the somewhat arrogant attitudes of some (but not all) of the 'instructors', and the patronising manner in which some (but not all) of the lectures were delivered.

There was also a significant level of customer dissatisfaction in the wake of some courses being cancelled due to insufficient uptake.

The Jelen Deer Managers Course was written and developed to help learners and prospective deer managers gain the knowledge they NEED to be able to effectively provide a professional service to landowners and foresters. But even to the recreational stalker, the Jelen Deer Managers Course provides a wealth of professionally based knowledge gained in the professional arena.

It is not my place to knock the long, drawn out 5 day courses, but we (Jelen) feel that the important knowledge needed can be delivered in 3 full days.

I would not expect anyone who has completed other Deer Manager Courses to want to attend the Jelen one. However, those who are contemplating increasing their knowledge of deer management at professional level would be hard pushed to find a more comprehensive source of information on the entire spectrum of deer management than we can supply at Jelen Deer Services.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,

Mike.
(Director - Jelen Deer Services)

Hi Anthony,

Our Deer Managers Course is unlike any other similar training course on the market, both in the way it is delivered and the content that is delivered.

We have become aware of shortfalls in other 'Deer Manager Courses' through feedback from deligates who have attended. The general feeling from most of whom we spoke to were disappointed with the content of other courses, believing that a significant part of it was 'padding' and unnecessary. One subject in particular was the time spent on talking about 'CUSTOM RIFLES' where deligates failed to see the relevance to deer management.

Another common 'complaint' was the somewhat arrogant attitudes of some (but not all) of the 'instructors', and the patronising manner in which some (but not all) of the lectures were delivered.

There was also a significant level of customer dissatisfaction in the wake of some courses being cancelled due to insufficient uptake.

The Jelen Deer Managers Course was written and developed to help learners and prospective deer managers gain the knowledge they NEED to be able to effectively provide a professional service to landowners and foresters. But even to the recreational stalker, the Jelen Deer Managers Course provides a wealth of professionally based knowledge gained in the professional arena.

It is not my place to knock the long, drawn out 5 day courses, but we (Jelen) feel that the important knowledge needed can be delivered in 3 full days.

I would not expect anyone who has completed other Deer Manager Courses to want to attend the Jelen one. However, those who are contemplating increasing their knowledge of deer management at professional level would be hard pushed to find a more comprehensive source of information on the entire spectrum of deer management than we can supply at Jelen Deer Services.

I hope that answers your question.

Regards,

Mike.
(Director - Jelen Deer Services)

Thanks Mike,

there is a lot of truth in what you say, particularly the bit about some of the instructors attitudes.

The part about deer dogs and tracking wounded deer was a joke.

not sure if it could be condensed into three days even with the bit about custom rifles taken out.

anyway good luck and all the best for your courses in 2013.

Anthony

Last edited:
Hi mike, (jelen Deer)

I have been following the thread, and i do have to agree that on some courses there is an amount of "filling" topics that are of some relevance but could be "Chatted" over a coffee or beer, having spent a good number of years in a "Training" environment both delivering,developing on various topics. The option of holding a deer managers course over here in northern ireland is an attractive one, the last one a number of years ago was cancelled ... lack of numbers or such like. I would be interested, in attending once dates etc are sorted. Please keep me posted.

johnnie

Luder, I have spent 5 minutes reading your posts and for some reason I seem to be very distracted!!:rofl:
when you do a BDS course you should fill in the course critique, warts and all! This is the only way changes are made!

Hi

I would be interested in doing the Deer Management course if it was run in Ireland provided it offers the same or better qualification as the BDS alternative.

I will keep an eye on the dates

Thanks

Evo

I might be interested but it depends on dates and where it will be held.

I guess for many people it is catch 22 as we can't say if we will be available until we get dates and location and I guess Jelen can't comit to dates and location until they get enough people confirmed as interested.

I might be interested but it depends on dates and where it will be held.

I guess for many people it is catch 22 as we can't say if we will be available until we get dates and location and I guess Jelen can't comit to dates and location until they get enough people confirmed as interested.

I too would be interested in this subject to dates and location.

Would this course provide certification acceptable to Coillte, i.e instead of doing HCAP? if so I have a number of friends south of the border who would be interested I'm sure.

The HCAP is the equivalent of DSC1 which is different from the Deer Mgt Course which compliments DSC1 for in terms of cohort/herd mgt.

It would be of benefit to those culling deer in comparison to guided stalks, in order to maintain healthy herd numbers.

If interested in a course being held in N.I. please contact Jelen (as seen in the earlier posts within this thread).

Back