Poll for stalkers who take out clients: what % of clients take away a carcass?

What proportion of your clients take a deer carcass away with them to eat?

• Total voters

Pine Marten

Good morning everyone.

Reading some of the posts here on professional vs. recreational/casual stalkers, permission poaching, etc., it occurred to me that the link between deerstalking and food was absent from the debate on the purpose of what we do. I don't do very much stalking due to other commitments and available fiunds and am new to this. In fact, I haven't shot a deer yet. On the other hand, in all my fieldsports, I always make a point of eating what I kill (except for that rat in the garden!), and don't shoot more than I can eat. For this same reason, I intend to try and restrict my stalking to the smaller species, as I have every intention of eating the deer (if I have to cull a large fallow or something, then I'll have to leave it for the gamedealer, but that's the intention).

Anyway, this made me think that perhaps this isn't universal. So here's my question for those of you who take out clients: what proportion of your clients take a deer carcass away with them to eat? Thanks.

PM if you do shoot a large fallow, take it to a friendly butcher and get him to process the full carcass, you will have a stock of burgers, sausages and prime cuts to share with family and friends. And compared with butchers prices for venison you will be quids in.
My local butcher trades me lamb.pork and beef to an equal value if I have a venison surplus.
sinbad

Usually if it's a roe or under a 100lb, most end up at the dealers, as I don,t charge for the stalk I suppose it's cheap meat.

Although I have not, as yet, stalked, in Scotland, I do, like Pine Martin puts it, "I always make a point of eating what I kill." I have not tried rat, yet, but I know I would need about 100 ltrs of good Single Malt to wash it down, if I did. ;) Many call hunting/Stalking a "sport" and, in a way, perhaps it is, but at the end of the day, what I shoot I take home to eat. I, also, process my own meat.
If "sport" is increasing of the cardiovascular system and ends up tiring the entire body, then the "sport" is in the stalk. I prefer the eating of what was stalked to replenish what was lost during the stalk.

10 years ago I was shooting more rabbits than I could eat, freeze, and give away... So on occasion they'd end up being fox/crow/whatever food (in a ditch)... I can't apologise for this as I was there to do a job and at the time numbers were bordering on a plague that were driving the landowners nuts! (Hardly any bunnys about these days sadly due to mixy I guess)

I don't shoot many deer and don't have a decent deer permission of my own, but if I did I don't think I'd punish myself for shooting more than I could eat - just goes to the game dealer, or as a last resort is very easy to give away!

I love hunting and would do it all day every day if I could!... I can't so spend far too much time on SD instead ;)

PM if you do shoot a large fallow, take it to a friendly butcher and get him to process the full carcass, you will have a stock of burgers, sausages and prime cuts to share with family and friends. And compared with butchers prices for venison you will be quids in.
My local butcher trades me lamb.pork and beef to an equal value if I have a venison surplus.
sinbad

it's not the butchering and eating that's a problem. It's the carrying home on public transport! I can happily deal with roe, muntjac or CWD, but an adult stag or fallow just wouldn't fit in my coolbox. And they're pretty heavy...

Back