Where Now

6pointer

Well i was thinking of what happens after you get to Lev 2 and that cert falls on the door MAT. Every one thinks that's the end and in truth it could for some be the start. I was thinking of proposing a day were Lev 2 (Left behind sometimes in the clamour for education) Can talk and ask the industry questions on what happens now eg leases contracting private woodlands etc etc .
Any one with thoughts on this please place them up.

Last edited:
That's sound really interesting as I've got my level 2 but don't seem to be getting any further on in the industry with it. Would be nice to see what doors open up to you with level 2 and any further deer management knowledge would be great as I'm still a bit wet around the ears

regards bob

Well, there is always something like this - The British Deer Society - BDS Deer Management Course

I am still ticking over the idea of leaving work to do a land/game management course at one of the agricultural colleges and combine that with DSC1 (which I have), DSC2 (which I will need to get) and a deer management qualification to get into the industry somewhere at some point in the future.

Well, there is always something like this - The British Deer Society - BDS Deer Management Course

I am still ticking over the idea of leaving work to do a land/game management course at one of the agricultural colleges and combine that with DSC1 (which I have), DSC2 (which I will need to get) and a deer management qualification to get into the industry somewhere at some point in the future.

Sounds like a brilliant idea! I just wish my wife worked hard enough for me to be able to do that.... lazy so and so:-|

John as you know i work on a cost effective form of education Free is good :rofl:. No i am talking about trying to get a few of the heads of departments to talk to candidates that have work there ass off getting trained up and telling them what they now might gain from there new qualification.
EG FC,s Scottish woodlands . Till hill, They can let the trained hunters know what avenues there is for them.
Lease , protection , Small contracts , large contracts. Private stalking ,Group permissions , Guide stalking ,

Well i was thinking of what happens after you get to Lev 2 and that cert falls on the door MAT. Every one thinks that's the end and in truth it could for some be the start. I was thinking of proposing a day were Lev 2 (Left behind sometimes in the clamour for education) Can talk and ask the industry questions on what happens now eg leases contracting private woodlands etc etc .
Any one with thoughts on this please place them up.
Level 3 will be next. Some bright spark will invent it to keep themselves in a job.

What are most people hoping to get out of DSC1 and DSC2?, is it because they fear that they will HAVE to have DSC1 in order to secure the grant/renewal of FAC's? Is it just for their own personal development, is it because they feel it will increase their chances of gaining access to stalking? Or is it because they feel it will help them get a career in deer &/or wildlife management?

I'd be interested to know where most people hope it will lead???

Regards,

Mike.
(Director - Jelen Deer Services) Jelen Deer

If the truth be known then there is not a lot of point in getting trained to a higher level.
Lets be honest. Jobs in the deer sector are like hens teeth and those that there are, are normally dead mans boots.
It's all one big con.

1st they tell you you need NSCC ( got that ) in the early 90s.
2nd then Advanced SCC ( got that ) 1st time without tutoring unlike 50% of the candidates
3rd RAC Cirencester Deer course ( got that ) passed no problem
4th BASC Woodland Stalking (got that ) no problem

Did all these only to be told "Oh no you now need to do DSC1 and 2 and that'll cost you £££?"
Where exactly has it got me, 1x FC interview because I hounded the FC Ranger to death. Why didn't I get the job. Well I didn't have a degree having done a thesis on some rare butterfly that hatches once on a Wednesday every 10 years. :doh: Silly me for neglecting to be prepared. Perhaps I should have drilled a hole in my groin, painted my skin a different color and called myself an ethnic minority. Job sorted on grounds of positive discrimination.

Please, please don't fool yourselves.
Get your level 1 to get your FAC.
Get your level 2 to further educate yourself.
You are 99.9% not going to get a job because of what you know, you will get a job by being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people. The same could be said of winning the lottery using lucky dip

Level 1/2 wee done for my own personal gain to futher my self and knowledge, also in help gaining stalking. With a possibility in career but not holding my breath,but if it comes up a would take it, but also quiet happy in my current career.

So David would you not like a personal meeting with the big boys .The ones that decide who and what way our deer are managed.

Wouldn't mind a meeting 6p would attend any time a was available. But what is next more qualifactions? We can't even get a full backing for the ones we have in place just now. SNH are pushing its there way or the high way so, would be as well round a table and listen to what they say we need to do.

I am with you DMQ 1 is enough but i feel sometimes the deer groups (including mine ) Pay attention to educating new chaps and leave out the ones that have worked hard time to help them to the next stage getting deer to manage.

Yes I agree we have all these newly educated guys with no groud to manage. I thought that's were the deer group came in allocating groud to local experienced guys to manage deer? Deer groups don't work for me as I can't put the leg work in as I work away from home so am a weekend stalker, so what do I do when am educated?

If the truth be known then there is not a lot of point in getting trained to a higher level.
Lets be honest. Jobs in the deer sector are like hens teeth and those that there are, are normally dead mans boots.
It's all one big con.

1st they tell you you need NSCC ( got that ) in the early 90s.
2nd then Advanced SCC ( got that ) 1st time without tutoring unlike 50% of the candidates
3rd RAC Cirencester Deer course ( got that ) passed no problem
4th BASC Woodland Stalking (got that ) no problem

Did all these only to be told "Oh no you now need to do DSC1 and 2 and that'll cost you £££?"
Where exactly has it got me, 1x FC interview because I hounded the FC Ranger to death. Why didn't I get the job. Well I didn't have a degree having done a thesis on some rare butterfly that hatches once on a Wednesday every 10 years. :doh: Silly me for neglecting to be prepared. Perhaps I should have drilled a hole in my groin, painted my skin a different color and called myself an ethnic minority. Job sorted on grounds of positive discrimination.

Please, please don't fool yourselves.
Get your level 1 to get your FAC.
Get your level 2 to further educate yourself.
You are 99.9% not going to get a job because of what you know, you will get a job by being in the right place at the right time and knowing the right people. The same could be said of winning the lottery using lucky dip

I remember doing the BDS WSCC way back, and all our group were told that within two years, EVERYONE would HAVE to have the WSCC or they wouldn't get their FAC renewed.That was almost 27 years ago!!!!! ...... We can still get FAC's without the WSCC, DSC1, DSC2, etc., etc. so I am with you to a point.

However, I do believe that if you want something bad enough, have the mindset and the determination to succeed, and the self-belief then opportunities will arise. Also, having the hunger for knowledge will lead you to gain the right information, and through learning the information will lead you to the right contacts. Knowing the right contacts will get you into the right places. When you're in the right places you are perfectly placed for when opportunities arise. I know this from experience!

With the proliferation of 'qualified' stalkers in the UK, the only people who are likely to get the right opportunities are those that possess the knowledge needed to succeed in the profession.

Most stalkers - but by no means all - are of the opinion that if they can shoot straight, and can tell the difference between several species of deer, and have shot three deer on three separate ... yadayadaya, that somehow they are qualified to be a deer manager.

My advice is get the professional knowledge, acquire the skills, meet the contacts, prove you know what you're talking about, be committed and maintain integrity, honesty and professionalism and you will find doors opening in the right places.

Regards,

Mike.
(Director - Jelen Deer Services) Jelen Deer

David deer groups are not there to give anyone ground and if you cannot put the leg work in then you need to manage deer were they are not having a negative impact. Contact local forestry companies and ask them if you could tender for areas that are out of the protection time and tell them you are willing to pay.

So what a deer groups doing? I'm happy with the 2 syndicates am in and am sure if there not happy with me all know at renewal.

We the ( SLDG) also have 3 sections of ground were we manage deer members who have reached the required standard are included on these grounds if they are up to the task and there is no cost in fact they keep the carcase... This is what I understand as a deer group getting ground and giving it to members to manage or is it kept for the committee :stir: only joking. Also know deer groups do very well on the education side.

David i will answer as honest as i can no committee on the ground just members that can do a job.We have tried some members but they just could not cut the mustard. The chaps we have on these areas are doing very well and keeping damage down to an acceptable level.
The ground we have was given because we have experience in urban deer and it is not for every one. It is also not very productive because deer are precluded at all costs.

Back