6.5x55 N160 and 120gr sierra SP.

Liam

As title says, does anyone use this combo?

I'm new to reloading and this is what i have, I havent tried any yet but have got a few load manuals to get some ideas.

will be used on Roe and fox.

Any help will be most appreciated.

Liam,

New to reloading myself, in my 6.5x55 I use the following- 49.5 grains of n160, nosler 120bt's, oal 3.01". sub 3/4 inch grouping @100yrds ( good enough for my needs)

Great on fox and Roe, meat damage acceptable IMO.

Regards

John

Liam,

New to reloading myself, in my 6.5x55 I use the following- 49.5 grains of n160, nosler 120bt's, oal 3.01". sub 3/4 inch grouping @100yrds ( good enough for my needs)

Great on fox and Roe, meat damage acceptable IMO.

Regards

John

49.5 grains!:eek:

I've had a look in the manuals and 49.5 grains does seem high? but if it works for you :)

i'm thinking of starting 45.5-46 grains and working up.

I just started working up a similar load with Hornady 120gn AMax...
i.e. Cases: Rem. F/L sized 2.161", 46gn Vit. N160, Fed210 primer, OAL 3.0"/Comparator 2.503"

6.5x55SE.jpg
This is the result of the first test Using a Tikka 6.5x55. No pressure signs at all. ATB

Last edited:
N160 and a 120 gr head though a 6.5 x 55 is a very good combination. I originally used 120gr Noslers which produced very accurate rounds, then switched to 120 gr Sierra Pro Hunters finding that I had to increase powder by 1 gr and alter distance from the lands to obtain the same accurate results.

Below are a sample of my rifle and other peoples 6.5 s I reload for. You will note from them that I have ignored the myth that to get a rifle to shoot accurately you have to be within 40 thou of the lands

466grSauer120gr.jpg

Graham1.jpg

hpqscan0001.jpg

Fred65_zpsb12e924b.jpg

120g nosler 45.5 nv160 under half inch grouping 6.5 x 55 sako 85 set 100mtr

My rifle likes this combination don't use anything else now

ATB

Phil

N160 and a 120 gr head though a 6.5 x 55 is a very good combination. I originally used 120gr Noslers which produced very accurate rounds, then switched to 120 gr Sierra Pro Hunters finding that I had to increase powder by 1 gr and alter distance from the lands to obtain the same accurate results.

Below are a sample of my rifle and other peoples 6.5 s I reload for. You will note from them that I have ignored the myth that to get a rifle to shoot accurately you have to be within 40 thou of the lands

466grSauer120gr.jpg

Graham1.jpg

hpqscan0001.jpg

Fred65_zpsb12e924b.jpg

My FN 6.5x55 custom shoots groups like yours with 120 grain BTHP's and mine also are seated "deep". I started with the boat tail protruding down into the shoulder and stayed there. Superb accuracy. Like yours, I might add. Congrats on a good job reloading and delivering the goods on paper.~Muir

49.5 grains!:eek:

The vihtavuorire loading guide Ed.10 (2012) states the max load @ 50.7grs I started @46grs and worked up in small increments. Are you implying that this load might be dangerous,, as stated I am new to reloading and open to listen.

The vihtavuorire loading guide Ed.10 (2012) states the max load @ 50.7grs I started @46grs and worked up in small increments. Are you implying that this load might be dangerous,, as stated I am new to reloading and open to listen.

The online Vit Manual states 46.5 as the max. If the book says different it would suggest the book is either up to date or incorrect? There is obviously some confusion with the two data sources! Stay safe!!

6,5 x 55 Swedish Mauser/ SKAN data states max load of 47.4grs, while the 6,5 x 55 Swedish Mauser gives max load of 50.7grs. Just looked at the 11th edition (2013) and the 50.7grs stated as max for n160 using 120grs bullets.

The following link will take you to the download section

Catalogs & Leaflets - Downloads - Customer Center - Lapua .

John

Attachments

• vihtavuorireloadingguideed10_2012eng.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
6,5 x 55 Swedish Mauser/ SKAN data states max load of 47.4grs, while the 6,5 x 55 Swedish Mauser gives max load of 50.7grs. Just looked at the 11th edition (2013) and the 50.7grs stated as max for n160 using 120grs bullets.

John

I'm inclined to presume the data giving 47.4 max. may well be specific to the Scenar 120gn bullet listed on the Vihtavouri 6.5x55 SE/SKAN data.
Whether the data changes significantly using a different manufacturers 120gn bullet I don't yet know, but as is usual with any component change....work up the load carefully. As mentioned previously, I'm using the Hornady 120gn AMax & others are using Nosler 120gn etc etc. ATB

John

The data for Lapua does not give 120 grain only 123 Scenars. Have you got a link for edition 11?

just found it. Products - Lapua

50.7 grains max.

the SKAN data max is 47.4 grains

Last edited:

John

John,

Apologies if I'm going over old ground, but the difference between loads in the Vit data stems from the age of the cartridge and the rifles built to shoot it. The Swede has been around since the early 1900's. There are old surplus / converted military riles in circulation in some countries, although I've never seen one in the UK.

The Skan data is for modern rifles and the max loads are quite a bit higher than those in other manuals. I used it to work up the load for my sako 85 with N160, 120 grain Sierras, CCI primers and Norma brass. I started low and worked up to the max without pressure signs, albeit the most accurate load for me was about three quarters of the way through the range.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bob

John,

Apologies if I'm going over old ground, but the difference between loads in the Vit data stems from the age of the cartridge and the rifles built to shoot it. The Swede has been around since the early 1900's. There are old surplus / converted military riles in circulation in some countries, although I've never seen one in the UK.

The Skan data is for modern rifles and the max loads are quite a bit higher than those in other manuals. I used it to work up the load for my sako 85 with N160, 120 grain Sierras, CCI primers and Norma brass. I started low and worked up to the max without pressure signs, albeit the most accurate load for me was about three quarters of the way through the range.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi,
The Skan data is also states the lower quantity of powder (47.4grs)! My experience in reloading is limited, i feel don't have the expertise to come to any conclusions as to why this might be. Perhaps deeangeo's commment suggesting that the load data may be specific to the Scenar 120gr bullet is valid.

Regards
John

John,

Apologies, I made the last post without looking into this properly. I have the min and max amount of powder that you referred to written down in my reloading record book, but didn't check to see that the data was from the "6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser" table and not from the "6.5 x 55 SE/6.5 x 55 SKAN" table.

I agree that this looks odd and I'm not sufficiently knowledgable to explain the reason.

I assume that the 120 grain HPBT Sierra bullet referred to in the Vit data is the MatchKing, ref. no 1725. The bullet I use is the 120 grain ProHunter SPT, ref. no. 1720.

I worked up a load for the 120 grain ProHunter bullet using the max and min data in the "6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser" table for the 120 grain MatchKing bullet with no problems.

Regards,

Bob

Last edited:
The 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser is a cartridge that desperately needs to be brought up to the 21st century for use in modern rifles. I was going to order a barrel for a pressure gun and do the work myself but the project got side-railed and will stay there for a while, unfortunately.~Muir

I use n160 with a120 gr Sierra and 46.6 gr D3F263B9-2B04-4387-9E5F-F91E817F790D.jpeg with 5 shot group at 100 yards if you need any mor advice ask peter horn you won’t go wrong with his advice.

Well out of date!!

Start load is 43.8 max something like 47.2, your load is very much potentially dangerous.

Back