Fountain Forestry

Gazza

Maybe this has been covered elsewhere but just heard that from this year Fountain Forestry will be following the FC and requiring DSC Level 2 for leases.

This is correct.
If your a lease holder with level 1.you now will have to have level 2 to hold the lease. But as far as I know if you have the portfolio and are actively doing in they will give some grace
andrew

Last edited:
Fountains made their lease holders aware of this more than a year ago . . . as of the 1st Jan 13 it is now in force.

To hold a lease you must have L2 . . . . In the documentation I received there was no mention of any periods of grace.

Last edited:
In this day and age is it only right that people can show commitment ,proper training . even just from the point of view of anti shooting That there then is no argument as people holding firearms are competent . most other countrys have some sort of hunter licsence why should we be any different . I think anybody who thinks this wont become compulsary is blind
At some point dsc1 will become the norm to gain fac for deer. I personally dont see the reasons behind the resistance of gaining these but tin hat is on as i am sure i will get slated from my prospective i want to learn as much as i can not only from courses but from people on the ground . I have come so far in the few years i started and learned a great deal from dsc and i am sure even experienced guys have thing to gain from them, not wanting to pick a fight atb wayne.

The question is:-

" Is this drive for paper certification actually improving the Deer management? Or is it just driving a money making scheme? Or is it just a way of them covering their corporate ass?"

I have my doubts on all of that.

The question is:-

" Is this drive for paper certification actually improving the Deer management? Or is it just driving a money making scheme? Or is it just a way of them covering their corporate ass?"

I have my doubts on all of that.

Brit you can look at things all ways ,money making scheme possibly it has opened up a door to earn money from that route . Ass covering yes but no different from anything else if you have had no formal training you are not liable ,if training has been done you should no the correct way and then it is on your shoulders. for me it is an avenue to learn and i do feel it will benifit me or anybody else that does it . It should also slow the voice of the anti having no real evidence that the guys with the rifles dont have reason for them . this might be all wrong but i think it is the way forward, atb wayne
ps thanks for the help with the stock

Brit hunter regards removing deer you are probably right but when it comes to the meat hygiene and the industry there have been real improvements,
When private forestry companies tender for plantings they need to put a wildlife plan in place and Fountain Forestry have just given them selves a few extra points. It is the FC that administer the grants and no doubt the it is similar to a tender and done on a points system

Brit hunter regards removing deer you are probably right but when it comes to the meat hygiene and the industry there have been real improvements,
When private forestry companies tender for plantings they need to put a wildlife plan in place and Fountain Forestry have just given them selves a few extra points. It is the FC that administer the grants and no doubt the it is similar to a tender and done on a points system

Does anyone have any real facts on problems caused by contaminated meat entering the market place BEFORE this need for the Meat Hygiene Certificate?

I do not recall there being mass posionings etc. I also recall the Mad Cow Disease was also brought about by an industry that was already covered with paper certificates on safety and Hygiene.................................... just goes to show what in reality they are worth does it not?

Once again profits talk. It was also noticeable that the very industry the caused MCD did not pay for the results of it .............................. nope that might have hurt their profits.

'Paperwork' ie. qualifications are a fact of life if you work on behalf of a commercial body. If you stalk for FC or any other forestry company you work towards protecting their interests they manage then liability issues are in play. Basically, if you are on any ground that belongs to someone else then they have a responsibility to ensure that you are fit and competence to do the work you are doing. If you're qualified and do something unfortunate it's your fault but as an unqualified person the question would be asked why were they allowed to engage in activities on your grounds in the first place without the proper level of training and experience that could lead them to being a risk to themselves and or other people?

I take it this is just for the lease holders how long before it extends to include every syndicate member on the lease? I know most require DSC 1 already
Wingy

I take it this is just for the lease holders how long before it extends to include every syndicate member on the lease? I know most require DSC 1 already
Wingy

a member has to achieve l2 in the the first year on they can't shoot the ground the following year. FC like others are saying that includes any and every other ground as well so unless you sneak onto another syndicate then you need to sort it out quick.

The current FC thinking is a syndicate member deserves a chance to start somewhere but then they only get A year to achieve L2,

Last edited:
Wingy

wingy this is what were on about it will soon be for every member. At the moment you can stalk with level 1 but only in the company of level 2and you only have 1 year and is quite restrictive getting other members to go same time ,atb wayne
also i have noticed alot of ground being advertised really only want level 2 members because of the restriction but also does it make it easier to gain ground if all members are level 2 when putting in a tender?

Last edited:
a member has to achieve l2 in the the first year on they can't shoot the ground the following year. FC like others are saying that includes any and every other ground as well so unless you sneak onto another syndicate then you need to sort it out quick.

The current FC thinking is a syndicate member deserves a chance to start somewhere but then they only get A year to achieve L2,

i will need to come see you about getting mine at some point

Brit you can look at things all ways ,money making scheme possibly it has opened up a door to earn money from that route . Ass covering yes but no different from anything else if you have had no formal training you are not liable ,if training has been done you should no the correct way and then it is on your shoulders. for me it is an avenue to learn and i do feel it will benifit me or anybody else that does it . It should also slow the voice of the anti having no real evidence that the guys with the rifles dont have reason for them . this might be all wrong but i think it is the way forward, atb wayne
ps thanks for the help with the stock

Erm! I think you'll find that training or not, if you commit an offence or cause damage or loss... you will be carrying the can... end of.

Ignorance, whether of the law or anything else, would be no defence.

However, you being qualified does help the middlemen, between owner and leaseholder, show that they have exercised "due diligence"... asses covered.

Erm! I think you'll find that training or not, if you commit an offence or cause damage or loss... you will be carrying the can... end of.

Ignorance, whether of the law or anything else, would be no defence.

However, you being qualified does help the middlemen, between owner and leaseholder, show that they have exercised "due diligence"... asses covered.

yes i understand that but Also the land holder lease holder has a responcability to make sure you are safe/can do the job. how many times do you here at work whilst training ,example fork truck training if you havnt done a cert and drive cause an accident it will go onto the company ,if you sit the training and do something it will be on yourself im not looking to cause an argument or anything but doing something wrong and you have no formal training is not going to come down on just you but as you put it Tamus with training asses have been covered. like i said in my post for me its all about the learning I am safe I can show i am safe . I certainly dont want to carry on with the ins and outs of all this but i am sure sometime down the line this will be compulsary ,atb wayne

Back