Well, seems there's a delay...

Wireless

Having handed in my FAC/SGC Application on 7th December, I was tempted to expect that it would only take six weeks before my licence dropped through the letterbox, obviously with the Christmas and New Year festivities there was always going to be additional delay, but here we are, over five weeks later, and I've not heard a peep from West Mercia.

I've since heard from a few shooting friends that I shouldn't expect anything to happen for between four to six months. Ho hum.

I'm told good things come to those that wait...:rolleyes:

If you paid by cheque then check whether it has been cashed. If it has been cashed then a call to the licensing unit asking when the feo visit is likely.
If cheque not cashed then call to ask whether the application has been received. A new grant will usually take longer than your intial expectation (but not always), however you should have been contacted by now to arrange the feo visit. Best wishes.

Chase them up, they seem to take for ever if you've made a slight error in your application and will wait for you to contact them first. Best of luck and don't forget you are actually paying for the service they provide.

You're right, just checked, they cashed the £60 fee on 19/12/2012 and I've not heard a peep, I'll be ringing them Monday morning, today in fact.

I put my shot gun renewal in with south yorkshire police right at the start of november expiry was 13 january so plenty of time i think. we are now on 21 jan and still no certificate, very poor i think. i have also got a 1 for 1 variation in for my firearms but we're only on week 2 with that one !!

I put my shot gun renewal in with south yorkshire police right at the start of november expiry was 13 january so plenty of time i think. we are now on 21 jan and still no certificate, very poor i think. i have also got a 1 for 1 variation in for my firearms but we're only on week 2 with that one !!

Have you got a section 7 or handed your guns into your RFD/to a mate, or are you in possession of your guns illegally
Geordie

Last edited:
Have you got a section 7 or handed your guns into your RFD/to a mate, or are you in possession of your guns illegally
Geordie

Illegal possession ! No according to South Yorkshire Police my renewal could still take up to another 3 weeks to be processed, when I told them that I then required a temporary cert to put me in legal possession of my guns I was told that I am in legal possession because it is all live and in process on there system and I need not do anything !!

As for the 1 for 1 variation I was told it was the next in line to be processed, I thought nice one and asked "so that should be back with me soon then" ? to the reply yes probably about 2-3 weeks :doh:

Illegal possession ! No according to South Yorkshire Police my renewal could still take up to another 3 weeks to be processed, when I told them that I then required a temporary cert to put me in legal possession of my guns I was told that I am in legal possession because it is all live and in process on there system and I need not do anything !!

So if South Yorkshire Police told you Santa is real you would believe them.Good luck i hope nothing goes wrong but that is not what the law says.
Geordie

Did you get that in writing? Easy for them to deny something like that unless it's written down.

As you gave them plenty of warning, I'd suggest firstly lodging your guns with a gunsmith (no matter what they SAY, if you are not in possession of a valid certificate, or section 7 permit, then you are in illegal possession of those firearms), and then demanding either your renewed certificate or a S.7 temporary permit. Copy the Chief Constable in on the letter (and make it clear you have done so) and let them know that you will be sending them a bill for the cost of storage and the loss of use of your firearms.

FAC/SGC dropped on the mat today, 11 weeks from application, only query I have, I am a target shooter and requested the standard 1500 hold 1000 purchase for .22lr, but have be given 600 hold 500 purchase, which is odd, because I've been given the same hold and purchase limits for .17 HMR, .223, and 6.5x55. Looks like I will be running out of space on the certificate sooner rather than later. At least I'm up and running.

congrats mate,mine been in since 7th december rang them today as was told the manager has done the final report and its gone to whoever for final decision ,hope i hear something soon

Looks like the first purchase will be an Anschutz Match 54, can't really say no, its going for £150, although I've got to order about £250 in parts to suit me. Joined the BDS to borrow a deer rifle on a DSC1 I've applied to attend in June, so next purchase is likely to be a deer rifle after the course.

Not really the order in which I planned to do things but thats life isn't it.

Back