Poaching quick retrive

roedeerred

On our small walk stand shoot yesterday we were shooting a wood about 250yds from a road when one of the lads noticed a blue pickup stop to watch on the road during the drive two pheasents hard hit glided down to drop 80yds from the road.
man in pickup let out a black lab two quick retrieves and drives off before anyone could go retieve our own birds :eek:
Later in the pub lads from next shoot along same road came in and we all were having a chat and they had lost some birds out of a landy about the same time:-|
Pity some feel the need to steal birds when theyre only worth 90p
daft part of it is if he (man in pickup) came and introduced himself he may have been paid to pick up on either shoot enjoyed a day working his dog and been given a brace anyway:rolleyes:

what a cheeky kunt!!! the cheek of that is out of this world..

however, question is, have you put birds down? if you haven't and your neighbrour has, you might just find he was picking up his 'own' birds that you've fed over the border.

I'm not judging you, just trying to explain what 'he' might be thinking. personally I've no issues feeding if the neighbours are putting birds down and I'm not, it's not my problem. want the birds on your own ground, put up a big fence, or shut up...just saying that as I've had issues with 'neighbours' before, putting diesel in my feeders that were there just to get a few cockbirds around for a roughshoot in some hedgelines here and there,,,like I said,,Kunts! LOL

Rather a harsh choice of word there PKL. We were shooting yesterday and arrived at one drive as the neighbours were 'ATEMPTING' to shoot my birds as they drove one of their woods away from their pen :-|. The gun fortunate enough to have the pound seat with his back to the boundary, was unfortunate enough to be within earshot of us :D. Having missed a couple of 70 yrd screamers heading back to my woods I pointed out to him that my birds required a considerable amount more lead than theirs. He proceeded to miss the next half dozen aswell (he may have been put off).

I did feel a need to point out that I had no problem with them shooting AT my birds, but standing with their backs to a public highway (4 metres) and if they had dropped a bird had no way of retreiving it from our side of the road having not asked permission.

No answer!

Last edited:
Thankfully we have a good relationship with adjoining shoot we all put birds down and if not shooting our own shoot i beat on the next one. I keeper our own and if birds stray its a two way street. the owners next door are of the same attitude and have no time for petty jelusy thankfully that stopped a few years ago when both shoots underwent a period of change.

we get on with the next shoot so well we buy birds from them, and the first drive works better if the beaters take a shortcut across their land,
oh their keeper sends a gun, never been himself other than to be paid for the birds before christmas, having asked him for a bill since july.

what a cheeky kunt!!! the cheek of that is out of this world..

however, question is, have you put birds down? if you haven't and your neighbrour has, you might just find he was picking up his 'own' birds that you've fed over the border.

I'm not judging you, just trying to explain what 'he' might be thinking. personally I've no issues feeding if the neighbours are putting birds down and I'm not, it's not my problem. want the birds on your own ground, put up a big fence, or shut up...just saying that as I've had issues with 'neighbours' before, putting diesel in my feeders that were there just to get a few cockbirds around for a roughshoot in some hedgelines here and there,,,like I said,,Kunts! LOL

If you want some cock birds for you roughshoot, buy some poults and release them like the rest of us, why should others subsudise your sport??? We have issues with neighbouring shoot, makes my blood boil...

i have experienced that back in the day when i was working in the uk still , the lads who had shooting permission on the land next door to our shoot only ever shot pigeons but one year decided to put feeders on every hedge leading from the boundry , we tried to talk to them but they just laughed at us they shot quite a few pheasants that season , they never shot another bird of any sort on that ground after that we went and had a word with the landowner who rightly so decided they were bang out of line and declined their advances from then on

so let me get this right, just because you're not putting birds down, as a neighbour, you should't be allowed to have a feeder or two so you can try to get a few potentially wild birds in your drives and feed and sustain that population?

what makes you naturally think that it's 'stealing' your birds or they intended to do so? if you're putting some birds down, do you feel you should have the right to tell all your neighbouring grounds who may not be, to stop using their feeders for perhaps trying to keep a natural population?

one thing is you put down birds,,,THEN suddenly the neighbour puts up loads of feeders on the boundary, that's different, but there's a fine line between treating shoots the same way.

I put down birds a few years ago on my ground as a seed population, since then not. I'm working closely with the farmer to plant cover crops, I'm out planting hedging, willow, wild berries, etc.. etc. all the time. I feed in select places to create a natural wildlife and game population. I do not like artificial game or releasing birds just to shoot them the same season, not my thing, might as well go to the range - but I'm not judging anyone as I used to shoot driven (recently) released birds...just grew out of it.

However, I have recently had neighbours put birds down, there's no question my feeders are attracting their birds, I can see it..however, am I going to stop feeding and developing my shoot for that, NO! that's not my problem, I'm managing my ground the way I want, and I was there with my management plan first. I'm my neighbour has issues with his stray birds, then he can come over with a net on a stick and get them back if he wants - and to be honest, I'd rather not have them, they're not from the seed population I put out, but do I go over and tell him off for putting down birds, NO.

I think there's too many presumptions and stereotyping going on in your posts (Nell and Landkeeper).

like I said, there's times when people are cheeky and TRY to lure your birds over, and there are times when that's NOT the case - be mindful before you judge. I'm not trying to ruffly anyones feathers btw, just saying, not all ground with feeders is used to steal neighbours birds or for commercial purposes.

as for the original post about the chap picking up birds that's been shot,,now that's cheeky:lol:

Last edited:
My personal favourite has to be a neighbour to a 'good' shoot that has a syndicate but puts down no birds but always seems to have plenty that 'wandered' onto their ground for their shoot days.

You know the type, plenty of feeders and cover on their patch but they never put a bird down and strangly 'people' seem to walk dogs through their nieghbours cover displacing birds weekly. :-|

True that Paul, those types are always about..

however, are we/you also saying that if you don't put down birds, you should not be allowed to feed your ground?

what about instead of feeding, the neighbour had nice juicy kale cover crops planted by the farmer - should they be plowed up if the neighbours started putting down birds?

not being controversial, just trying to sort this out in my head, because I'm not quite sure I agree 100% with everyone on this subject...bearing in mind that I 'do' not condone 'opportunistic' behaviour either of course.

Last edited:
simply to my mind it's a case of who did what first, in our case the shoot had been there for several years , the lads had pigeon shooting on the ground next door , we built a few new release pens to expand the shoot then feeders appeared on each and every hedge line leading from the boundary put there with the simple intention of drawing away birds .If they had had them there prior to our work then fair enough but it was a blatant act and the attitude when it was discussed was appalling.Back in those days a bad season would have meant no job or probably no job for the following year , not too bad when your 20ish as i was but my headkeeper was 30 with two small kids that changes your perspective of things

Last edited:
Pheasants seem to bring the worst out in some people. There are Always GREEDY KUNTS out there wanting to benefit from someones hard work. Take all and put nothing back is their motto ! Pure Vermin and should be treated as such ,,,,,,,,,

This thread seems to have gone off at a tangent. if you read op bloke in pickup had nothing to do with either shoot
just a **** chancer stealing birds before we had chance to retrive them.

so let me get this right, just because you're not putting birds down, as a neighbour, you should't be allowed to have a feeder or two so you can try to get a few potentially wild birds in your drives and feed and sustain that population?

what makes you naturally think that it's 'stealing' your birds or they intended to do so? if you're putting some birds down, do you feel you should have the right to tell all your neighbouring grounds who may not be, to stop using their feeders for perhaps trying to keep a natural population?

one thing is you put down birds,,,THEN suddenly the neighbour puts up loads of feeders on the boundary, that's different, but there's a fine line between treating shoots the same way.

I put down birds a few years ago on my ground as a seed population, since then not. I'm working closely with the farmer to plant cover crops, I'm out planting hedging, willow, wild berries, etc.. etc. all the time. I feed in select places to create a natural wildlife and game population. I do not like artificial game or releasing birds just to shoot them the same season, not my thing, might as well go to the range - but I'm not judging anyone as I used to shoot driven (recently) released birds...just grew out of it.

However, I have recently had neighbours put birds down, there's no question my feeders are attracting their birds, I can see it..however, am I going to stop feeding and developing my shoot for that, NO! that's not my problem, I'm managing my ground the way I want, and I was there with my management plan first. I'm my neighbour has issues with his stray birds, then he can come over with a net on a stick and get them back if he wants - and to be honest, I'd rather not have them, they're not from the seed population I put out, but do I go over and tell him off for putting down birds, NO.

I think there's too many presumptions and stereotyping going on in your posts (Nell and Landkeeper).

like I said, there's times when people are cheeky and TRY to lure your birds over, and there are times when that's NOT the case - be mindful before you judge. I'm not trying to ruffly anyones feathers btw, just saying, not all ground with feeders is used to steal neighbours birds or for commercial purposes.

as for the original post about the chap picking up birds that's been shot,,now that's cheeky:lol:

Lets face it, if it wasn't for shoots releasing pheasants wild birds would be so rare they would be protected;) I hope the day doesn't come when you have to watch your neighbours shooting YOUR wild birds out of their side of the hedge...

Eh?

You are still shooting pheasants, they won't fly any differently if they are wild or put down - to be honest you'll probably find that most of the birds you shoot aren't wild at all.

to have a patch nextdoor to a shoot and maybe shoot say a brace or two which come over onto your side over the course of the season in my eyes is fine a little cheeky but ok but to put feeders up to activly encourage the birds over is a pi55 take people have payed for those birds and put time and effort into them and having been a keeper myself deisel in the feeders would be the bare minimum

to have a patch nextdoor to a shoot and maybe shoot say a brace or two which come over onto your side over the course of the season in my eyes is fine a little cheeky but ok but to put feeders up to activly encourage the birds over is a pi55 take people have payed for those birds and put time and effort into them and having been a keeper myself deisel in the feeders would be the bare minimum
+1

Eh?

You are still shooting pheasants, they won't fly any differently if they are wild or put down - to be honest you'll probably find that most of the birds you shoot aren't wild at all.

yes, they're not wild, they've been released but I try to encourage birds to remain as wild as possible, if fact, most birds on my grounds are probably 2nd or 3rd generation released birds, so I personally would say they're wild. I like to keep them and keep encouraging them to lay eggs and bring up a 4th generation, etc. that means I have to keep feeding them to help the population whilst my cover crops sometimes struggle. If that means some neighbours poults trotter on to my feeders, who gives a tozz, I'm running my ground to a management programme, just because I might have a neighbour who disgracefully wishes to release reared poults in a cage inside a small wood, then have it surrounded by guns whilst him and his buddies go about basically booting the poults into the air to get them off the ground and out of the wood where they're then duly shot, much to the pride of the paying guest who thinks it was 'flushed out'..my @rse, the way some pheasant shoots are run is disgusting and to those paying guns who don't know how it's going on, I suggest you look into it, it's nothing to do with sport, just killing - there, I said it.

goodnight chaps ;)

BTW, and one final note - I do NOT have a neighbour that puts birds down, regularly. So if anyone is starting to get the impression I feed when my neighbour is putting down birds, to 'entice' them, I suggest you read the thread more carefully.

I hope the day doesn't come when you have to watch your neighbours shooting YOUR wild birds out of their side of the hedge...

it happens frequently, and I don't mind, nor do I mind when someone shoots a buck that usually is on my side - I don't see game as being 'owned' by someone, if that was the case it's not game, it's property, and the sport ceases to become a sport.

Back