Load development

u32dw

Guys,

I'm new to the world of relaoding and have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help me with. I was out today shooting various loads to see which one gave the best group size at 100yds. I found a load which works well for my rifle but then thought, would a warm barrel vary the group size compared to a cold barrel?

That load i have managed to get gives me a very tight group at 100yds, would it be correct to assume that the group size will still be sub moa at longer ranges? say out to 3-400yds?

Obviously I'll go out a check it, once the weather improves, just curious as to what the opinoins were?

atb

in an ideal world yes,but sometimes its not that easy,only thing to do is set the boards out and try it,what seem fine at 100 maybe shocking at 200 yards

Only real way to be sure is to try at longer ranges. But if it's sub MOA it shouldn't matter what range you're shooting it at. Before wind get's involved, an inch group at 100 could be a 2-inch group at 200 etc.

Guys,

I'm new to the world of relaoding and have a couple of questions that hopefully someone can help me with. I was out today shooting various loads to see which one gave the best group size at 100yds. I found a load which works well for my rifle but then thought, would a warm barrel vary the group size compared to a cold barrel?

That load i have managed to get gives me a very tight group at 100yds, would it be correct to assume that the group size will still be sub moa at longer ranges? say out to 3-400yds?

Obviously I'll go out a check it, once the weather improves, just curious as to what the opinoins were?

atb
what caliber?

People may "knock" the older Parker-Hale rifles based on the Mauser 98 but most good ones will fire ten shots in quick succession with the by then hot barrel still capable of keeping all ten shots in about 3" at 100 yards.

.243 at the moment.

Group size of any load will increase in size as the distance increases.
Most people cannot put 3 consecutive shots on to a one-inch bullseye at 100 yards from a good rest.
In a long lifetime I have scored vast numbers of targets at stalkers shoots and found this to be a fact of life.
Regular one-hole performers are like rocking-horse poo !

HWH.

Group size of any load will increase in size as the distance increases.
Most people cannot put 3 consecutive shots on to a one-inch bullseye at 100 yards from a good rest.
In a long lifetime I have scored vast numbers of targets at stalkers shoots and found this to be a fact of life.
Regular one-hole performers are like rocking-horse poo !

HWH.

Hube, I am blessed with an old Sako that does most of the work for me!:D:cool:

....That load i have managed to get gives me a very tight group at 100yds, would it be correct to assume that the group size will still be sub moa at longer ranges? say out to 3-400yds?...

In the past 8 months I've shot at 400m, 600m, 575 yds and 500yds with my 260 Rem. At these ranges I toil to achieve 1 MOA. Five shots at 575 yds were just over 1 MOA. I would be exceptionally pleased if all my shots were within 2.5 MOA at this range. It certainly tells you which of your loads work and which don't. Regards JCS

Not seen you at Sealand for a while finnbear.

Buggered off home after the last marking session we were subjected to!............. both Paula's heavy barrel Remmy .223, & my Border cut barreled .223 can fix a fox up with a third eye at 300+............... I thought we were using f****ng shotguns.:eek:

That doesn't sound good. Saying that, the best session I ever had was shooting unmarked and using my own targets.

Hube, I am blessed with an old Sako that does most of the work for me!:D:cool:

Me too !
I was a partially sighted OLD FART of 78 years when I shot the target below.
HWH.
P1070007.jpg

Back