Thoughts on Sako 85 Varmint Laminate 308

Wilf102

My FAC came through with 6.6 x 55 and 308 on it. I have been looking at the Sako 85 Stainless Laminate Varmint 308 with 20 inch barrels in my local RFDs. I am really tempted to by it and a Zeiss 3-12 x 50 Duralyt. Its going to be used for deer, down in the south of England and some range work. The range work is just fun, not competitions. My thinking is that I am not going to be hiking over the moors and mountains in Scotland so the weight probably wont be an issue, when the Northstar mod goes on it as well. Its right at the top end of my budget. However, its really nice eye candy (to me) but an expensive mistake to make if not fit for purpose. I hate buying twice. Any thoughts? Should I really be looking at a standard sporting weight rifle, and plumping for something like the the Howa 1500 package that seems pretty good value and likely drop deer just as well.

I have this very rifle and calibre but fitted with an ASE UTRA SL5 mod. I have owned a lot of rifles over the years in various calibres including custom built, but this is one of the most accurate I have loaded for. 150grn Hornady SST will group at around 1/2" at 100yds, using Lapua brass, Varget and CCI primers. that was after first load produced and no further tweaking!

I see what you are saying about walking the hills with it, but I don't think it is that heavy a rifle, fitted as mine is with a 6-24x50 Swarovski. attaching the 3 draw Harris bi-pod makes it a bit unbalanced though.

They're a fantastic rifle and a joy to shoot, the action is so smooth. I get sub 1/2" groups at 100m with my home load. Like jamross65 I used an ASE Ultra mod. It's not the lightest rifle, but it's not that heavy either compared to other varmint barrelled rifles of the same caliber. I quite happily hump mine about.

Have a look at this thread if you want any more info on the load I developed:
http://www.thestalkingdirectory.co.uk/showthread.php/54670-Shorter-barrels?p=501128#post501128

Sako laminate .308 is what I have, though a sporter, not the varmint barrel. I too have an ASE Utra out front, and a Zeiss 3-12x50 atop.
It's jolly lovely to shoot.
Nuff said?

get it feller i have the 85 ss .308 8x56 s&b t8 mod with home loads 150 pro hunter sub 3/4 moa just dont lose that mag at over £100 :thumb:
paul o'

get it feller i have the 85 ss .308 8x56 s&b t8 mod with home loads 150 pro hunter sub 3/4 moa just dont lose that mag at over £100 :thumb:
paul o'

Is that the replacement cost???

I have always preferred hinged floor plate mags as you can't loose of forget them. think I read somewhere that they are meant to feed a wee bit better as well but not sure about that.

yes feller if gmk have them in stock i lost mine i left it on tailgate after an outing and drove away . i had one sent by a pal in usa, $147 bucks plus pp i also have a Rem 700 with a floor plate, i like a mag due to not haveing to drop live rounds out in the dark , but the 85 is as slick and never had a feed fault even load one shot one droping a round on top of mag all fine worth the dosh it was a toss up between sako 85 or blaser 85 ss won r8 mounts etc are a factor £
paul o'
TE=jamross65;506512]Is that the replacement cost???

I have always preferred hinged floor plate mags as you can't loose of forget them. think I read somewhere that they are meant to feed a wee bit better as well but not sure about that.[/QUOTE]

Just like Jamross I prefer rifles with hinged floor plates too. Like he says you can’t loose the magazine. I have a Sako 85 and its the best of both worlds there’s no real need to take the magazine out normally as it can be loaded from the top. You only need to take it out to unload it.

Just like Jamross I prefer rifles with hinged floor plates too. Like he says you can’t loose the magazine. I have a Sako 85 and its the best of both worlds there’s no real need to take the magazine out normally as it can be loaded from the top. You only need to take it out to unload it.
+1 on the Sako mag. The mag goes in once, and comes out once unless I'm heading into the high seat, or Heaven forbid, actually have to gralloch something!!!!! Cheers i.

Back