RFD to RFD transfer

VSS

Having purchased a .243 from an advert on this site just before Christmas, I'm now having a devil of a job getting it transfered from the sellers RFD to mine, and was wondering if anyone else has had the same bother and if so how it was sorted and what it cost? Apparently my variation could be sorted in about a week, and it would be a shame not to be able to fill the slot immediately...!

The vendor has fulfilled his part of the arangements by packing the rifle up and depositing it with his RFD. No problems there.

But, apparently the RFD that the rifle is now residing with in Scotland, awaiting transport, isn't a member of the Gun Traders Association (or whatever it's called) and my RFD is. This seems to result in an insurmountable hurdle when it comes to arrangeing the transport!

The Scottish RFD hasn't got a GTA account with a courier, so can't request the collection.
My RFD won't request the collection because to do so would mean they would be responsible for verifying the condition of the rifle when it's picked up, which of course they can't do. And they say it'll make a lot of extra work and administration.

Seems to be a bit of a stalemate.
Anyone got any experience of this before?
(Or anyone know of a courier who I could contact to arrange the transport from one RFD to the other, if my local RFD won't make the arrangements?)

Have you paid a deposit or any other monies yet?
What was your actual agreement with the vendor as regards transfer costs and the transportation of the rifle?

Doesn't sound like it should be your problem to resolve mate. Up to the seller to sort another RFD out surely?
Never had any problems like that myself. Give him a deadline for either delivery or a full refund.
As I said, not your problem really if your RFD is prepared to receive.
MS

Your RFD sends a copy of his cert to the sellers RFD, sellers RFD packs it up and sends it by whatever means he normally uses to your RFD.
You collect it from your RFD, who should make sure it is in proof, how much simpler does it need to be ?

Neil. :)

Your RFD sends a copy of his cert to the sellers RFD, sellers RFD packs it up and sends it by whatever means he normally uses to your RFD.
You collect it from your RFD, who should make sure it is in proof, how much simpler does it need to be ?

Neil. :)

Not the responsibility of receiving RFD to QA the gun, unless you asked and paid him to do so. The receiving RFD's ONLY duty is clerical.

Agree with MS and Hornet it shouldn't be your problem it should be the vendors problem to get it to your RFD, however what was your agreement?

anyone can ship a gun
only RFD's can receive

the only benefit to being in the GTA is reduced TNT courier rates (£9 rather than £25-30)

to cut it short your vendor could send it personally to your RFD through TNT for around £25-30

Your RFD is playing up as there is no expectation on your part or legal one on his to QA the goods, just to receive them. Whether he initiates the pick up or not is irrelevant.
Ditch him and find another to deal with at your end

As an aside, I have a TNT account with a discount for the purpose, I am neither RFD or GTA registered

anyone can ship a gun
only RFD's can receive

the only benefit to being in the GTA is reduced TNT courier rates (£9 rather than £25-30)

to cut it short your vendor could send it personally to your RFD through TNT for around £25-30

Your RFD is playing up as there is no expectation on your part or legal one on his to QA the goods, just to receive them. Whether he initiates the pick up or not is irrelevant.

Good advice here.

Nutty

your rfd is just being funny cus you aint bought a gun off him mate

There might well be something in what you say, but I think inexperience is the main issue - it's two young lads who run the gunshop, and they're clearly fazed by anything that's a bit different.
I haven't got an issue with the seller - he's done all that he said he would, and he did tell me that his RFD wasn't a member of the GTA. I'm sure he wouldn't have forseen that there would be any difficulty.
I've spoken to his RFD, and he seems sensible enough, but adamant that my RFD will have to arrange the courier.

What Hornet 6 says above is what's supposed to happen, I know that, but it clearly isn't happening in this case!
What 243ack says above is the crux of the matter - the recieving RFD's duties should be purely clerical, and my RFD is clearly unwilling to deviate from that.

anyone can ship a gun
only RFD's can receive

As an aside, I have a TNT account with a discount for the purpose, I am neither RFD or GTA registered

Does this mean that I could arrange with TNT to pick up the rifle and deliver it to my RFD, if I set up an account with them? Or ask someone else who already has an account to get their courier to move it for me...?

Does this mean that I could arrange with TNT to pick up the rifle and deliver it to my RFD, if I set up an account with them? Or ask someone else who already has an account to get their courier to move it for me...?

correct
accounts are easy to open (even I have one for god's sake!)
pack appropriately, protect muzzle, arrange collection/delivery

Thanks for the info Bewsher. Rifle is all packed up and waiting collection, as I understand it.
Does it matter that I'd be asking the courier to collect from a third party and deliver to a third party, ie, not either collecting from, or delivering to, me? The courier I currently work with (not firearms related) will collect from somewhere and bring to me, or collect from me and take elsewhere, both at my request, but isn't happy to go between third parties on my request. Maybe TNT is different?

as far as I am aware only TNT and one other courier can transport firearms
Couriers get sent between where the goods are surely, doesnt have to be your address just because you are paying the bill

We used TNT for a while but the failureto collect parcels was getting beyond a joke.
Also the cost you stated is not correct for me . i was 25inc vat a gun to deliver.
We now use pacel force and have never had a problem and they charge alot less too.

but to the OP there should be no hold ups between the two

Well I'll give them 'til the weekend to get there act together. Failing that I'll be going to another RFD, which means they'll have lost out on any future trade (ammunition, accessories etc) from me as well.
If that won't work then I'll open my own account with Parcel Force or TNT.

We used TNT for a while but the failureto collect parcels was getting beyond a joke.
Also the cost you stated is not correct for me . i was 25inc vat a gun to deliver.
We now use pacel force and have never had a problem and they charge alot less too.

but to the OP there should be no hold ups between the two

Are you a GTA member?
That is a non member price

GTA members pay less than £10

Back