Thread: larger rifles on foxes

larger rifles on foxes

i was talking to my loacal firearms chap today about a one for one variation for my .308 and he asked me what i use it for which is deer and fox as stated on my firearm ticket and he has told me that even tho i have this on the ticket i cant go out just for foxes its only incase i see one whilst out stalking and that i was unable to take the .308 lamping and that this rule applied to all rifles above and including .243. im sure he is wrong but i just wondered what other people thought as i was going to sell my .223 and just have one centre fire but now im unsure

BASC have articulated their view in the past more politely than above but the same opinion.
    This link may help:

The second page towards the bottom.

Telling plod he is talking cr** tends to upset him.

Instead be in awe of his knowledge, and keen to learn. He will appreciate a willing pupil, then once he has warmed up get him to explain how the land assessments changes depending on the quarry. Itís a little know aspect of ballistics that he has been taught by his superiors, his enlightenment is your good deed for the day, when he realises his superiors talk cr** you a have an ally.

thanks for your advice chaps i was sure i was right but i couldnt really say much to the bloke as he is going to do my one for one as i wait at the cop shop next week if the rifle i look at is ok i think i will just forget what he said and carry on as normal as my ticket says quite clearly i can shoot fox with my .308.
    thanks Daniel

cjm1066 is quite correct, don't piss off the man who is going to make "the decision".

I've got fox on my 9.3 x 62 but wouldn't dream of using it.

A .223 or .270 or .308 etc. hitting a dog walker will have the same effect. Easy to educate the FEO.