Zeiss Duralyt riflescope limited adjustment range?

western woodsman

I think my Duralyt has 'hit the wall', that is after I recently loosened the scope rings to slightly pull back the scope objective lens closer to my eye on account of having to crane my head to far forward, I have tried to re-zero only to find that it would not have enough adjustment left on the horizontal to pull it back on zero leaving it two inches wide to the right. I guess this means getting the scope remounted and centred with a collimator centering the crosshair and all adjustments? Before re-zeroing yet again? I have really liked this scope in so many ways, so I would still vouch for it, but this is annoying. Have you experienced this out there or on other scopes? Maybe the original mounting was not spot on and did not help matters?

Try contacting Zeiss Uk and explaining your problem, If the scope is at fault they should rectify It, as it comes with a ten year warranty.

Regards Paul.

seems strange,

i have had 2 of them, and in a time of need sold one to a mate, the other is flawless (as is the first one) 1cm clicks at 100 tells me that i think i would check the mounts/bases first.

bob.

yes i've had a similar problem on my own zeiss but i was using quick release mounts & discovered it was the same on my other rifle & after a whole load of messing around i noticed a problem with both weaver bases..
they wern't true to the action! the scope functioned perfectly on my mates shooter this prompted me to do a rather crude experement which was to place a long straight edge on the edge of both sides of the rail. the result was that on one side the end of the barrel was touching the straight edge & the other side it was around half an inch away!! so i adjusted the rail untill it was central... job done!
i did notice that the closer i put the mounts together the more the problem increased! to the point where i couldn't even get on target!!!

Soother223,

So many spend zero time on getting the bases mounted correctly, or even the correct way round....

Stan

Just one more reason why I use Conetrol mounts and projectionless rings as the former allows centering of the scope windage adjustment prior to mounting and then bring your bullet to rough target centre (bore sighting) c/o both front & rear mount adjustment screws. Using this method you’ll only need a few clicks left or right to be bang on.

Dealing with a lack of elevation is something far more tricky.

Thanks for advice before going to gunsmith tomorrow. I think the scope bases were originally not true enough to begin with, and it is has been a bit dodgy from there on out. SO it needs a root and branch remount. I will discuss other rings and mounts as suggested before deciding which way to go. TO be honest I wish I had bought a collimator and learnt how to do it myself. Like a fisherman tying his own knots, he only has himself to blame if it goes wrong.

Thanks for advice before going to gunsmith tomorrow. I think the scope bases were originally not true enough to begin with, and it is has been a bit dodgy from there on out. SO it needs a root and branch remount. I will discuss other rings and mounts as suggested before deciding which way to go. TO be honest I wish I had bought a collimator and learnt how to do it myself. Like a fisherman tying his own knots, he only has himself to blame if it goes wrong.

You won't go wrong and they look superb on a sporting rifle:
http://conetrol.com/

Cheers

K

I had the same problem with mine. There were no problems with the bases so has gone back to ZEISS to see what happens

You tell us about he scope but if the mounts are not drilled on the receiver correctly it is not the scope it is the rifle. What kind of rifle is it?
Fitting Leopold type rings and bases will cure any left and right issues you have as they have adjustment on the rear and swivel on the front
. X-bolts are bad for it and sometimes need shims if using fixed mounts. Continental shooting will only fit leopold rings and bases due to the issues with scope adjustment on x-bolts, rem700 and A-bolts

The gun is a Tikka T3 Lite .308. And Opti-loc mounts and rings for Tikka T3. The rings are extra low.

I have been worried that it is the scope itself, I hope not. We will see what the gunsmith tomorrow says. Thanks for the speculation. truly appreciated.

Back