Barnes ttsx reloading info 6.5 x 55 120grain

viney

just started developing a new load using reloader 22 tried a few powder levels between 44.5g-46g barnes recomend this powder. started with a couple of thou of the lands but am strugling to get a real tight group anyone gone through the process and has any advise to offer.

mannlicher pro hunter 20inch barrel 1in8 twist

Start at 20,000 of the lands. You may need to talks it back a fair bit. Think Barnes say start at 50k. Vit N160 is very good!

make up a batch of bullets start 20 thou off then 40 then 60 then 80,owill find a pattern or group appear,then work on the best load by 5/10 thou each way untill you get it,I found to save wasting bullets load a batch at 20 thou off and take a LEE hand press with your dies and measuring gear t the range,if the first 2 shots dont show any promise dont bother fireing a 3rd just press another 2 bullets further in and try again,once you have 2 bullets showing promis then press a 3rd and fire it into the same group,if it does the business fire a 4th and a 5th.job done you have found your seating depth without wasting time bullets and money
there a great bullet on deer,I used to use them a lot even superb on Roe and great on African game.I dropped a hugh medal Eland bull at 300 yards with them

Last edited:
Start at 20,000 of the lands. You may need to talks it back a fair bit. Think Barnes say start at 50k. Vit N160 is very good!

listen to the man he is talking sence , my tikka liked them 50 tho off the lands under N560 N160 and RL22

Somewhere on the Barnes site they say 50 thou off the lands. I did this and loaded 45gn Reloader 22 into Federal case with Federal primer and achieved three quarter inch group at 150 yds. Rifle is a Blaser R93.

Andy

leec6.5

great pictures and typical of the TSX in my experience...can I ask a question...why have you chosen the 140 grain TSX rather than a lighter pill such as the 130 grainer? I see that the TTSX is available in 110 grains which would be interesting to say the least. I suspect it would kill like lightning in the 270. I noticed that Gregor Macleod is advertising Normal factory loads with the 110 grain TTSX

leec6.5

great pictures and typical of the TSX in my experience...can I ask a question...why have you chosen the 140 grain TSX rather than a lighter pill such as the 130 grainer? I see that the TTSX is available in 110 grains which would be interesting to say the least. I suspect it would kill like lightning in the 270. I noticed that Gregor Macleod is advertising Normal factory loads with the 110 grain TTSX

i chose 140gn because they were cheap or cheaper ! managed to get them for £25 per box (50) but also because i shoot a lot of lowland reds i find the heavier bullet works .

i now use nothing but barnes bullets would confidently shoot anything up to dangerous game with my 270 load , i know alot of people moan that there expencive but i say you get what you pay for .

im only running them slow and steady at 2850/2900 fps and i zero in for 150yds and ill shoot out to 300yds without thinking about it !

High Viney, I use Barnes TSX 120g with RL19 - 46.6g (20 thou of the lands) My rifle is a Styer Pro 20" They are the most accurate round i've made up - Nocks em down dead! Make sure of your backstop with these rounds.

Start at .050" off the lands - you'll probably find they shoot best at this seat depth...

Was checking zero this weekend on my 6.5x284 with 130 TSX....

TgtGfx1-1_zpsdb1d574d.jpg

15mph crosswind in snow, and yes, im zero'd an inch high at 100 mtrs

Sloppy, I know...:D

Start at .050" off the lands - you'll probably find they shoot best at this seat depth...

Was checking zero this weekend on my 6.5x284 with 130 TSX....

TgtGfx1-1_zpsdb1d574d.jpg

15mph crosswind in snow, and yes, im zero'd an inch high at 100 mtrs

Sloppy, I know...:D

Tut tut... Looks like it needs a new barrel!!

I'm getting sub moa groups In my swede with the Barnes TTSX 120g at 2900fps with reloader 22 or 19, 30 thou off the lands in my tikka and 40 in my howa thumbs up from me.

Thanks for the help what powder levels do you use with reloader 22 and how does it fair with a veiw to flat shooting.

Back