Pensioner convicted for shooting squirrel with air rifle.

Events such as this and the typical inflammatory newspaper articles do little to promote shooting sports.
Quite true, and yes its only a squirrel, but if you go shooting any animal in full view of the neighbours then you are asking for trouble. And despite what others have said taking 5 shots is inexcusable. The sack and a lump of wood is a much better idea.

Quite true, and yes its only a squirrel, but if you go shooting any animal in full view of the neighbours then you are asking for trouble. And despite what others have said taking 5 shots is inexcusable. The sack and a lump of wood is a much better idea.

Its also the method recommended by DEFRA...

Talking of tree rats did you see the paper last week three fire engines to rescue a marooned one heard it all now

Talking of tree rats did you see the paper last week three fire engines to rescue a marooned one heard it all now

Typical nonsense printed by the papers.
Fire Service attended as they recieved a report that a member of the public had entered the water to attempt to rescue the squirrel.
No one would bother their arse about a routine "rescue" of some well meaning person but three fire engines and a dozen fire fighters to rescue one squirrel stuck in canal makes better reading.

Is that CWHMSHT A Dog or bitch as im looking for a stud dog . Please send pic's and pedigree. I take it that it works on grey's and climes trees. woodfordfallow

He's a dog mate! he's 3 yrs old and registered with the CWHMSHT club. His tree work is great and he's pretty good on greys. Last week he held a huge grey squirrel stag at bay for about 10 minutes until I caught up to finish it off with the rifle. From head+tooth measurements I've taken so far I think I could be looking at a possible silver medal for that one.... I'll have to see what the CIC make of it. He's not worked to black squirrel yet as we don't get many down here but I'm looking into getting some black squirrel blood and cleaves for training!

Last edited:
My 94 year old Gran finds a 410 shotgun does the job, shes dealt with hundreds on her farm :D

Worlds gone mad!
surprised he got done as there doesn't seem to be intent of cruelty?

RSPCA will always go for these "easy targets" no pun intended

Remember, they are at WAR! All animals are in danger!

glad, I live in the boondocks and don't read papers!

Apparently the guy got fined about £150 and the court awarded £1300 costs to the RSPCA!

Laugably he was also banned from keeping squirrels for a year.:eek:

Iam amazed at some of the comments,havnt any of you lost a deer when you think you have hit it right ??? what about pricked games birds,i suspose you all kill them with 1 shot and none get away to die slowly.come on guys take your rose tinted specs off,anyone that kills a living animal is going to make a mistake and cause suffering at some point,as its been said squirrel play dead and I cant see one living after 5 pellets at point blank
your bang on there , anyone who says they have never wounded something they have shot at is a liar . we dont know the full facts , but the old fella obviously thought every shot was lethal . This year i have killed 1 squirrel carrying 3 airgun pellets and another carrying 2 , every pellet was a well placed shot around the neck or shoulders but every pellet was just under the skin

Another old bloke criminalised by the self appointed RSPCA stazi!

The vet would suggest taking it to a clinic for "humane dispatch" as it's in his own financial interest to do so.

As for the air rifle I might suggest turning it the other way round and bashing it's head in?

LOL very true hate these militia pillocks!

I reckon thats a BSA mercury, up there with the Airsporter as far as power goes (in its day).

Back