Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Composite, laminate or wood?

Composite, laminate or wood?

What's your preference & why? Trying to make up my mind.

Got walnut at the moment but think my next ones going to be laminate (for practicality). Can't bring myself to get composite as I just don't like the look. I guess it's all down to what you like though - they all work, just some need more care than others.

laminate man myself if it has wiggly lines i get excited.

I'd like to go laminate is there a big difference in weight and will it stand up to the elements . Composite at present and performs ok.

This will be a classic SD thread.
    My own preference is wood. I have a great deal of experience with that medium. I have no real opinion about he metal that sits inside the stock. Stainless or blued( i have blued on both rifles) You can pick a timber to compliment it.
    Wood also has one big property that convinces me of its superiority. That is it's final shape and outer dimentions are not determind by a mould. That means a stock can be made to fit you. It is true that composite stocks can have packers to do the same thing. But for me it is just not the same.

There is a lot of myth surrounding wooden stocks. Things like they will warp if they see a drop of rain. Or. It looks so good I don't want to take it stalking I case I damage it.

I think a lot of this is because the only wood people seem to know about is walnut. There are many woods that can be used in stock making. Some have qualities that would suprise you.

As to the damage that can happen. There's no getting round it. It can and will happen. But a lot of times it can be repaired.

Laminates are a composite wood. There seams to be a fashion with laminates. They are getting louder in colour. I hate that. Why do it?
    but let's call laminate for what it is. Ply wood! You can take a cheaper wood glue it together and make it stronger.
    The properties it then displays are excellent. I happen to like ply wood(sorry laminates). They are a medium I can work with, the same as timber. The only thing I have to be careful of is cutting speeds and cutters. But the end result is the same. A good strong stock.

But I would always steer someone to a timber that is right for the environment that the rifle is going to be used in.

The only time I come into contact with composites is when I am laying up a hull for a model boat(1mtr racing yachts with carbon and glass fiber sheet).
    There use in stock making I will leave to people who work with that medium.

One last thing with wood stocks.

The timber has waited years, to become your rfile stock. In most cases longer than the owner has been alive. The medium has soul. Why is it that on budget rifles that have wooden stocks, the time spent of selecting the wood is almost zero? Shame!!!

Plus go to a stock blank suppliers they can charge you a fortune for a walnut timber blank that is figured!

As I stated before there are alternatives to walnut, that are both stronger and better looking than even the most expencive walnut. They will never cost as much. As I said knowing some one that knows there medium is the key. What ever stock you end up choosing make sure it's right for you.
    Last edited by Simjim33; 19-01-2013 at 23:29.

Currently have a composite Tikka t3 and aesthetically it isn't very pleasing on the eye. It was my first real rifle so budget did come into the composite decision! Next is hopefully going to be wood stocked, fingers crossed a Sako 85 or maybe a Styer. Just love the look really, just makes it a little more special than the composite models we see everywhere.
    Aim Small, Miss Small

Whichever allows me to get home and throw the rifle back in the safe without worrying about it and doesn't bother me if it gets scratched on a rusty shooting rail. A sako 85 synthetic stock fits those requirements for me anyway!

I have gone over to walnut stocks on my rifles, having had plastic stocks in the past I can appreciate the utilitarian qualities but they look pretty horrible once you put a few scratches on them, at least with wood you can touch up the finishing. Laminate stocks do not appeal to me in the same manner as nicely grained walnut does, even on "budget" priced rifles like my CZ rimfires.atb Tim

I like nice walnut first, but I do have a few laminate stocked rifles. I dont mind good synthetic stocks, just as long as they're not the cheap injection molded plastic.

If I have to choose one, it would be a well figured walnut stock with good dense grain and no sapwood. No good reason, thats just what I like. Theres probably going to be a lot of different preferences and reasons for them in this thread.

i prefer walnut, but all mine are laminated for wear and tear factor, hate the plastic one's think they look like kids guns lol
    if your going too be dumb you have too be tough