Single shot/ break barrel.

goathunter1

I need some advice from the learned contributors to this forum. I fancy a single shot break barrel rifle, or just a single shot rifle for stalking. What do the people on here use? I have a Ruger No 1 in .416 I use in Africa, but there must be other makes/models around.
Thankyou in advance.

Quite a lot of the European shotgun manufacturers produce break action single shot rifles have a look at this website to give you some idea http://www.sangliers.net/ Look through the fusil section, you will have to work your way through it but it will give you some information.

Blaser makes the K95. I did have a look at one in McLeods a while back in 6.5x55 - very nice - but four grand.

I think most of the others will be made to order - and hence even more expensive.

Like you I really do fancy one of these but its a bit difficult to justify - very light gun if you're doing a lot of climbing.

As Kuwinda says they are normally quite expensive though if you want something cheaper you can look at some of the American rifles such as New England Arms (Harrington & Richardson), Thompson Encore or even the Russian Baikal. I also seem to recall that Mossberg made a single shot break action rifle at one time but never saw one in the flesh.

I forgot to mention that the German term for such rifles is kipplauf.

If anything very similar tho their MP18 the "workhorse" of shotguns plain and simple
(no frills) but almost bombproof which is also available in .222, Rossi also do a similar version however not sure on calibre.

Last edited:
Thanks guys. I'm sure there will be more to come as others see this thread. I never knew the German name before which will help in the research. I'll also have a look through that French boar site. Perfect for a pretty poor day here in Scotland.

Archer, that wee Baikal is very interesting. It looks like they have taken the well proven single barrel action as Uncle Buck suggests and just made it for a rifle. I'm surprised it's still there. Must be a lot of guys on this forum that could use it. I don't know if it will take a scope right enough - and it's not a calibre that can be used in France a the moment as I understand.

I use a K95 in .25-06Rem. & have done so for the last ten years. It's an excellent rifle and no problem reloading quickly for the hind & calf if required. Yes expensive, but of this type of rifle, among the very best.

K95's are avaliable in the 'Black' version for a lot less than 4k. - I'm guessing, but around 2.5k ish???
A good friend has just bought a Luxus in .270Win & paid extra for upgraded wood.

When I bought mine, Beechwood Equipment were the importers - but I bought mine from Gregor at Macleods..at the time, he knew more than anyone in the country about these rifles.....& I'd guess, probably still does!
ATB

Last edited:
Archer, that wee Baikal is very interesting. It looks like they have taken the well proven single barrel action as Uncle Buck suggests and just made it for a rifle. I'm surprised it's still there. Must be a lot of guys on this forum that could use it. I don't know if it will take a scope right enough - and it's not a calibre that can be used in France a the moment as I understand.

An internet search shows York Guns have them for just short of £300 new and I am seriously tempted- my daughter is applying for a "shared" FAC and this style of rifle will suit her better than my Howa/Axion stock combo.
Time for a call to my FEO methinks.

oh and like you I'm not sure of how well a scope would fit

You are correct about the French restriction- they seem to ban military calibres

Fitting a scope on the baikal is not a problem. Don't expect too much for your money, they are based on the single barrel shotgun action are are pretty rough and ready. Functional but not exactly refined.

As Uncle Buck says Rossi also produce a similar rifle that is available as a kit in a tool roll which includes a .22 barrel a centrefire barrel (.243w is one calibre that comes to mind) and a shotgun barrel. I've see one of these in the U.K but it only had only the one barrel and was not in a kit.

The trigger on the MH 18 will most likely need attention to reduce the strength of pull. I wonder why they can supply the shotguns with light enough triggers but the tiled must be about 10lbs weight of pull. I had one in 222 Rem but had to let it go to make room for the .222 BSA Regent I acquired. Mine shot MOA or less with most ammunition. I fitted a 6x40 scope in Hilver Steel rings even though they are close together it worked.

I have just found a link for the Rossi rifle http://www.rossiusa.com/product-list.cfm?category=2 ugly looking brute isn't it.

Highland Outdoors are the distributors for Rossi in the U.K. It doesn't look like they normally import the single shot rifle combo only the shotguns and they appear to be out of stock of them at the moment.

Looks simple enough Goathunter.

BaikalBreechandscopemounts.jpg

Rgds, Buck.

I have shot Thompson Center rifles/ Handguns for decades. I have never had a problem with one. My current rim-fire varminter is built on one.
ThomosonCenteronrestatfence-lineRED.jpg

Accurate, fast to open, adjustable triggers, and a plethora of barrels available.~Muir

Spent a long time considering a tcarms pro hunter in .243. However I found an american website where ther were being discussed and many of the contributors were saying that they were having trouble getting them to shoot well. I didnt fancy getting something a little different and then have trouble with it so have given up the hunt.

Back