on the scrounge

ziggy

hi guys, due to being a clever git ive seated my .223 bullets too deep in the cases and i would like to pull them and reseat them, is there anybody local to me who would be willing to lend me a bullet puller for a couple of days? ive been meaning to get one but always seem to get sidetracked by something shiny. cheers fellas

hi guys, due to being a clever git ive seated my .223 bullets too deep in the cases and i would like to pull them and reseat them, is there anybody local to me who would be willing to lend me a bullet puller for a couple of days? ive been meaning to get one but always seem to get sidetracked by something shiny. cheers fellas

How deep? Have you shot them to see if it had any effect? I'd lend you my puller but it would take a month to get there!:D I just had a thought. Are you planning on resizing the cases once the bullets are pulled? If so, and if you have a set of pliers handy, you can put a bit of leather/rubber between the jaws, run the case up in the ram of the press, grab the bullet (carefully, carefully) as it comes through the hole for the die, then lower the ram. The pliers will stop at the top of the press and you will be able to pull the bullet free of the case mouth. I have found that thin rubber works best to pad the jaws. All this of course is dependent on having enough bullet out of the case to grab.~Muir

haha thanks muir, yes i was planning on taking them apart, running the cases through the sizer again and seating the bullets further out. they dont shoot well at all at their current depth(serves me right for not trying them out). i will give the plier trick a go, thanks buddy

haha thanks muir, yes i was planning on taking them apart, running the cases through the sizer again and seating the bullets further out. they dont shoot well at all at their current depth(serves me right for not trying them out). i will give the plier trick a go, thanks buddy

Glad to put my hillbilly experience out there for you.
I use the plier thing quite a bit, actually. When pulling cast bullets I just grab the bullets with the plier teeth and lower the ram; they are going to be recast, anyhow. A question tho: Are you so certain that they won't shoot better if seated deeper yet? My Hart barreled Howa likes the bullet seated with the boat tail below the neck/shoulder junction. Quarter inch groups.~Muir

it didnt work for me haha, i just kept getting big "teeth" marks in the bullets ans have also discovered that vmax without the plastic tip have a rather nasty looking hollowpoint(wonder if its worth trying without the tip) they were seated at 2.225" but i hadnt thought about pushing them in deeper. the cases were pretty full of h4895(26.5grains) and i wouldnt have thought they would go a lot deeper?

it didnt work for me haha, i just kept getting big "teeth" marks in the bullets ans have also discovered that vmax without the plastic tip have a rather nasty looking hollowpoint(wonder if its worth trying without the tip) they were seated at 2.225" but i hadnt thought about pushing them in deeper. the cases were pretty full of h4895(26.5grains) and i wouldnt have thought they would go a lot deeper?

The jaws bit through the padding?? That's some fierce pliers!

My rule is that if the bullet base isn't seated past the base of the neck, I'm good, but if you've got a compressed charge already, maybe not. What bullet weight??~Muir

i was originally using 27 with a 50 grain vmax but i wanted to try the 53s and im now on a charge of 26.5

How badly do they shoot? Use them for practice / rabbit shooting as pulling does take quite a bit of time. If it was 20 / 30 loaded rounds, thats what I would do.

i was "clever" enough to load up 100 heym haha, they do shoot badly, cant remember "group" size but it wa somehwer on an a4 card. i dont mind putting the time in and in hindsight thats what i shouldve done originally

Try up to .010" deeper and see if that improves anything. You should be alright with that charge and bullet weight if it's convenient. I forget sometimes that some of you need to travel more then a few minutes to shoot.~Muir

thanks muir, ill give it a go with some of them, sad thing is ive pulled the tip of 5 of them to try too :D

if I have run them in too deep I just give them a sharp tap with a kinetic hammer and them reseat to the appropriate depth.
I am sure the physicists out there would be able to measure the difference in neck tension before and after such an agricultural approach.....but I can't!

if they are not silly short just shoot them

if they were accurate enough to shoot bewsher i would but honestly they were all over. i need to get them right before saturday evening as ive got some foxes to sort but im skint at minute and cant really be buying bits this week.

I could post you a kinetic hammer to post back when you are done if that helps? its pretty simple
you can pick them up for £10-15 normally

thanks nick, just pm'd you, it would be aprreciated buddy, and would save bewsher havingto post one down :tiphat:

i was "clever" enough to load up 100 heym haha, they do shoot badly, cant remember "group" size but it wa somehwer on an a4 card. i dont mind putting the time in and in hindsight thats what i shouldve done originally

you mean you got them all on an A4 card i would say thats pretty good for you :stir: regards pete

Back