Another Estate changes hands

bambislayer

Herald p.10 Billionaire fashion magnate adds 20,000 acres to Scottish portfolio. A billionaire Danish fashion magnate has become the second-largest private landowner in Britain with the purchase of the 20,000 acre Gaick estate in Inverness-shire. Anders Holch Povlsen purchased the land and associated properties from Xavier-Louis Vuitton. The latest acquisition by Mr Povlsen, who already owns the Glenfeshie, Ben Loyal and Kinloch estates, has increased the 43-year-old’s land portfolio in Scotland to around 150,000 acres, second only to Buccleuch Estates...He has been criticised in some quarters for mounting a “land grab” of Scotland to take advantage of farming subsidies, though others claim he is motivated by a desire to protect wild land.

What I would say is, he is not grabbing subsidies and as far as I know, no one has lost their job on any of the Esatates that he has bought.

"What I would say is, he is not grabbing subsidies and as far as I know, no one has lost their job on any of the Esatates that he has bought."

Aye but has he ever bought an estate with an employee like David before lol

You have to laugh at the accusation of land grabbing for subsidies, I suppose all the other people who purchase land don,t claim them.

If you invested the amount of money you'd need to buy all that land, by the time it had paid for itself in subsidies / single farm payments - you'd be a long time waiting for your money back!

As for the subsidies it is quite often/usually that the last owner/tennant farmer would keep the single farm payment, and it is the farmer who claims them not the landowner unless he also farms it as his own business, like tjwaines said not really viable consdering the ammount of money involved to buy the land.

Not much point trying to do this now, when the new CAP reform comes in, it will eliminate large hobby farmers like this hopefully!! No payment over 300,000 euros as subsidies go and he active farming must be proven in order to receive it. If most of its SDA moorland its worth about £40/ha

I wonder what the "Big White Hunter" will have to say about his new boss then ??

image.jpgAs you see, it was gossip! Not saying it was a lie but not confirming

Last edited by a moderator:
Back