loss of a dog hits hard

Sorry to hear of your loss mate i know exactly what your going through
Lost my wire (GWP) 18 months ago like part of went with him best mate i ever had 14 he was and still working at 12 got a new lab now 13 months old cracking dog can't please me enough
Pity they don't live longer EH
drag

If it should be that I grow weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.
You will be sad, I understand;
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years -
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come, so let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
And please stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve - it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years -
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

today i lost agreat dog
hunting partners have come and gone
youve stayed with me come rain or shine
when days went wrong you made them right
ferreting by day lamping at night
to unlock my hunting you were my key
often catching more than me
i feel broken i need to mend ive lost the love of a loyal friend
in great hunting dogs ive lost two
one was fly the other YOU

this is the last entry i wrote in my game diary one day when i lost my whippet out ferreting,had to buy a new diary just couldnt continue in this one.

Sorry for your loss, i had to make the decision last march and not a day passes where something/somewhere reminds me of paddy. think of all the good time and the memories are with you for ever.

Sorry to hear of your loss. The pain you are feeling is one of the many reasons I kept putting off buying my dog. But as has been said so many time to me before, it is the many many happy memories of your dog that you will remember. I hope those memories bring a smile to your face soon.

thanks to all who posted great comments i know im not the only one and you all had a moment where your eyes glazed over for a few minutes right? i miss jester the big but slender yak of a dog, other people not shooting people dont get the upset at losing a hunting buddy not just a dog but a mate a pal an entity that you shared times with spent time training enjoyed the lows and the highs. he was a great dog just like all our dogs. hes running free now and if everything as i belive then ill join on another hunt somewhere else at another time
cheers guys
best wishes
scout

Heard a nice story recently. How a you kid was asking why his dog aged so quickly and was going die soon. Every human year is 7 for his dog he was explained etc. Well, the answer is that a human spends most of theirs lives learning how to find happiness and be happy. Whereas a dog is born happy and always will be every day, so does not have to live as long as us. Just a nice thought i wanted to share. Sorry to hear bout your dog. My oldest dog is 4 and I already think how I am going to deal with it!!!!!! oh well... I do feel however that the best thing to do is get another asap! if you do not have another already. will keep you busy. good luck.

Sad thread, but with some upbeat sentiments.My folks just had to do whats best for their dog.Not a working companion by any means but a much loved pet.
When you take on a dog you do so with the knowledge that they rarely pass in their sleep and you will have to take that final decision to put its welfare before your emotions.
My older JRT has been a cracking dog.Shes thirteen and has seen her best days.Nearly blind now, she is a bit snappy because she cant see anything approaching and her only answer to this is to be aggressive.If people announce themselves shes fine, but i dont want her to finish her days as a danger that had to be put to sleep.
My other JRT and lab are youngsters, full of beans, but i know my time with them is short, so make the most of my time with them and do my best to give them a great, fullfilling life.A working life.The best life you can give a dog.

Hi Scout!
Reading this thread produced glazed eyes quick....
Its really hard to loose a (the) partner in the field
For me it was getting even harder not having a replacement planned in advance, so a huge gap in my (hunting) life, a long time without a new dog and an even longer time to get the new dog to a level where working with it becomes fun again....
I am still on this way, still missing good ole Anton, but hoping to get a proper replacement by Alba, sooner or later....

Atb

Michael

If it should be that I grow weak,
And pain should keep me from my sleep,
Then you must do what must be done,
For this last battle cannot be won.
You will be sad, I understand;
Don't let your grief then stay your hand.
For this day more than all the rest,
Your love for me must stand the test.

We've had so many happy years -
What is to come can hold no fears.
You'd not want me to suffer so;
The time has come, so let me go.

Take me where my needs they'll tend
And please stay with me until the end.
Hold me firm and speak to me
Until my eyes no longer see.

I know in time that you will see
The kindness that you did for me.
Although my tail its last has waved,
From pain and suffering I've been saved.

Please do not grieve - it must be you
Who had this painful thing to do.
We've been so close, we two, these years -
Don't let your heart hold back its tears.

Thankyou for that. I've saved it and filed it away. We have just learnt that our 9 year old lab has an untreatable prostate tumor.

Know were your at mate had to make the decision a couple of weeks ago with the old dog (15) she had a good life , dont know how a little dog leaves such a big hole ........good luck

aye twas and still is a sickener i got jesters ashes back from the vet on wednesday hes sat with other lab boston whilst i find a fitting place for them both to be my other lab jesters brother is lost he hasnt eaten rite for the past week or so and would guess hes pining.. ive been talking to an aquantance of a pal recently and his BMH has just had a litter so............yeah ill be going for a look see....

The only way to get over one.. is to get another... and with women.. the only way to get over one... is to get under another. !!!

Hello Lovat. I dropped you a pm a few days ago. just wondering if you wouldnt mind putting me in touch with your acquaintance of your pal. I am interested to speak with him. cheers ian

bin there lost my old dog last november had to have her put to sleep 12 years loyal to the end Not the first time and sure wont be the last allways had dogs allways will Got my new pal but never forget any of my old pals gundogs or pets all important to me

Been there ,dunnit and still got the scars ,our Spinger Penny departed this world and our lives after 16 years ,not so active the past few but always wanted to join in . Went to her bed one night and just carried on to her big sleep .Still massive missed ,always will be. RIP Penny.

Back