Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stag Stalking in Scotland - Kristoffer Clausen

Stag Stalking in Scotland - Kristoffer Clausen

A nice watch, some good heads taken...

Sorry to be a total party pooper here. I don't care that they are in the total wilds of Scotland but they were skyline shots. No backstop at all. Great shots - but in my view not shots. But I wasn't pulling the trigger. I have just spent a week on Arran and didn't get a beast but could have if I'd taken shots like that.

Having done some filming work of my own it is often very hard to tell where the cameraman is in relation to the person taking the shot so I generally give them the benefit of the doubt. In this instance the cameraman keeps on showing the position of the shooter and is often higher than him. Those shots just don't look safe to me but impossible to tell if you are not behind the rifle.

OK maybe my typing finger was a bit fast to condemn. But we are taught, nay drilled with the principle of backstops and silhouette shots. Out on the open hill I guess there is a chance you'd never get anything done if you followed the rule book to the letter. But the film does, in my view, give a lesson counter to that which is taught. And for the benefit of those who perhaps don't have years of stalking experience yet, I felt it worth making the point.

Last week, I genuinely turned down a hind and calf walking the rim of a crater I was in. I was shooting 200gr, .300 WM at about 30 degs up and although the chances of that bullet landing anywhere but the sea or heather were billions to one, I could not pull the trigger. Can you imagine the damage to the sport if I'd put a round through something?

I have always worked on the understanding that no matter where you are there is always the potential for someone else to be bimbling around over there somewhere.

I am not going to tell anyone what to do when it's their turn. And as agonising as it would be to turn down that first pair, I would have not taken the shot.

I see your point, and I wouldnt pull a skyline shot either, but I am sure the Ghillie has a lot to lose if he felt the shot was likely to result in anything other than just a clean kill to the animal. I guess he will know the lie of the land, especially beyond the animal, better than anyone on here (I may be wrong), and to be filmed doing it he has a lot to lose if it goes Pete Tong.... I wouldnt be too quick to judge him, cameras do lie occasionally..

I saw this earlier on my YouTube feed, I also thought the shots were a little risky at best!
    I'm telling Captain - from the Wee'est of men.

You can clearly see that when they are approaching the deer there is another hill behind, cameras do funny things. If I remember correctly Yorkshire Roe stalker came in for a load of sh:;e when he did his documentary. 1995rs

bear in mind that the estate might have another 90,000 acres behind the skyline..and that it's actually a ghillies call that's being questioned.......mind, and in saying that - I personally would not take a skyline shot (and those were) as even if I knew there was plenty of ground behind, there could be a rambler with a camera 200yds directly on the other side of the deer...probably not, and very unlikely,,but there could.

in general though, thoroughly enjoyed the video and can't wait for the stags again :-)

Watched one of Mr Carr's programmes the other night, stalker takes a neck shot on a hind in the mist.
    Not one for me but the guy works there knows the ground hind goes straight down,but when the shot is played back in slow motion you can clearly see a couple of hinds behind the one shot.
    Now I understand the camera/shooters position but still looks a bit iffy.
    Personally with the visibility as it looks in the film would have left it not worth the risk.

seems to be a lot of 'iffy' shooting going on tbh - I think in general there's a lot of "argh, it'll be fine" attitude - ie. skyline shots, using woodland as a backstop, neckshooting, partially exposed deer, deer laying down, etc. probably a heck of a lot more than gets discussed. Obviously, every time someone tells a story of a deer shot, it's a "perfect H/L shot" with a "perfect rising earth backstop"..yeah right...