Muntjac and Rabbit Sausages with Cider and Mustard!

Monkey Spanker

Muntjac and Rabbit with Coarse Grained Mustard and Cider!!

Following my previous sausage recipe I have been asked for my latest creation, which I must say is quite unique, and probably my tastiest yet!

Ingredients:

Muntjac (boned and cubed) 7.5 lb (I used a whole Muntjac buck)
Rabbit (boned and diced) 5.5lb
Cooking Bacon pieces 4.0 lb
Pinhead Rusk 1 litre
Dry Cider 1 litre ( I used Strongbow but I’m sure any old ‘Trampagne’ will be fine)
Coarse Grained Mustard 1 lb
Salt 2 teaspoons
Sugar 4 teaspoons
Black pepper 2 teaspoons
Garlic powder 2 teaspoons
Nutmeg (optional) 1 teaspoon

Method:

Chop all meat & bacon into smallish pieces that will fit into the mincer and chill.
Add remaining herbs and spices to dry rusk and mix thoroughly. Add cider and drink some too to make sure it is ok :rolleyes: , lightly mix and chill.
Add rusk and spices to meat chunks and mix roughly. (The mincer does the rest!)
Put mix through a coarse mincer disc (I use 8mm) and mix again by hand if required. Chill mix prior to stuffing skins. A small amount of cold water can be added and mixture kneaded prior to stuffing if it is too stiff but this shouldn’t be necessary.
Stuff mixture into 32/34 mm natural Hog casings which should be rehydrated and flushed through thoroughly.
This should produce just over 20lb of sausages.
The cooking bacon you can get from supermarket in vacuum packs. Look for the orange ones as they normally have a bit of smoked in which adds to the final flavour too! Keep the label for traceability purposes if intending to sell and don't forget to declare the tax! :lol:

Enjoy!! :D

Just found your recipe. Plenty of muntie in freezer but the rabbit meat is still hopping around in my orchard which I can see from this window. Excuse me while I load the .22. :lol:

The last lot of these I did, I used 'Smoked rabbit' which was lovely! Soaked the rabbit joints in a brine solution with some 'Liquid Smoke' which is extremely potent stuff and only requires about 3ml / Ltr!
I also used a very appley cider. Muntjac and 'smoked' rabbit with cider and coarse grained mustard is the way ahead - proper Posh!!!!!!!:thumb::drool:
MS
Anyone made any yet?

Back