Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Brithunter, probably...

Question for Brithunter, probably...

I'm sure Brithunter will be able to give me the info I want, but anyone else feel free to chip in!

The question relates the Savage Arms "Survival Gun" of World War II

This was a double barrelled weapon, over-and-under configuration, with the upper barrel being .22 rifle, and the lower barrel being .410 shotgun (3" cartridge).

What I want to know is who were they issued to? And what were they expected to survive? (e.g., was it for personal protection, or to enable people to live off the land in out-of-the-way places?)

Thanks in advance.

They may have been issued to aircrew? atb Tim

they still make one a model 42,

this like talks about many types.
    WARNING: LUPUS IS A KILLER, lets support them in the need to find out what it is, what causes it and how do we defeat it. Donating to LUPUS UK | LUPUS UK

Living with Lupus - YouTube

It was intended for downed aircrew to be able to live off the land and to a certain extent defence. I think that it was mainly intended for the Paciffic theatre of operations.
    It's the calibre of the shooter that counts not the calibre of the rifle.

I have a Savage model 24 in 22 mag over 410. Its a great little utility gun, I use it for ruffed grouse and snowshoe hares.

The gun your refering to is the Stevens 22/410. I've seen a few over the years, I rebuilt one for a friends father in law a few yrs ago.It had a Tenite stock ( early form of plastic) and even had the flaming bomb acceptance mark from the US military. They were issued to USAF aircrew as a foraging weapon and from what I've read, mostly in the pacific theatre. I read one reference that said the tenite stocks were used because they were more rot resistant than wood, maybe, but I think it was just cheaper.

The savage ( older model ) and the stevens are essentialy the same firearm. The stevens was made from 1938 to 1950. When Savage bought out Stevens they produced it as the model 24, from 1950 to just recently.

The new savage is a different design by the look of it, I've handled one but haven't shot one. I'm sure they're a serviceable firearm, but they strike me as a bit cheaply made when compared with the older models, but that can be said of a lot of things these days I guess. Mine was made in the 70's and is one of those guns I wouldn't sell, my daughters won't let me lol.

Hope this helped AB

You're not referring to the M-6 Scout now being made by Springfield Armory are you? 22LR over 410 in an all steel chassis with an odd "Squeeze lever" trigger and cartridge storage in the buttstock comb. It was issued to air grews. Google it.~Muir

A gunshop here just sold an M-6 for just under $800 cdn !!!!!! Maybe its me, but I cant see paying that much for one. What are they going for down your way Muir ?

PS How was the SHOT show ?

Thanks Alberta boy - post #5 tells me what I wanted to know.

Sorry not my field .......

Quote Originally Posted by alberta boy View Post
    A gunshop here just sold an M-6 for just under $800 cdn !!!!!! Maybe its me, but I cant see paying that much for one. What are they going for down your way Muir ?

PS How was the SHOT show ?
    About $450 US for the Springfields. I've shot them plenty of times and they are pretty good. They actually made an original in 22 Hornet and issued "GI" ammo for them. In my shop in Albuquerque I had a box of the original, Air Force issue ammo.

The SHOT was fun. Played with all the new stuff, almost talked the pretty lady at S&B into selling me scopes that got blemished during handling at the show. (Well, I imagined I was making progress) Met up with various industry friends, made a few new ones. The sad part of the SHOW was volume. The retailers who come to the SHOT looking to buy their ammo for the year were out of luck. No one had ammo. Most were back ordered for months and months and professed to have multiple shifts per day hard at catching up. These retailers need ammo as their "bread and butter" sales item. They are going to have to scratch. I have some green bullets on the way to test in a .223 and Forester is shipping their new Neck sizer with a micrometer shoulder bumper. AND they have finally opened up a second production line for the Co-Axial presses. Lots of pretty women, liquor, and good food. Lots of work.
    I'm glad to be home.~Muir