Permethrin

Boghossian

Wondering who uses this on their clothes to protect against ticks?

Can anyone point me in the direction of a UK supplier?

Cheers
Gabe

I am not sure where you got this info from,but this powder is a specific insectacide aimed at such things like,case bearing house moth,clothes moth,and various crawling insect,you may be able to order from www.killgerm,not sure if you need to be licenced,also may be skin irritant,Tony...

I've tried it a couple of times,but still get ticks on my clothing . Not sure how long the ticks will live for as I kill them when I see them on me.You can pick up a spray in most outdoor shops it usually costs around £6 for a small bottle which lasts no time at all.Not cheap but if it does work it is well worth the money

cheers
Graeme

Ticks

Gabriel

You will still get ticks anyway becaues you are a hairy Italian lurker that will just attract them all the bloody time anyway-so yout save your money & have a Brazilian!

Regs Lee

I fear I might be one of nature's tick magnets and seem to pick them up the moment I step out of the truck. Despite wearing knee high socks soaked in Autan they seem to pass through what should be a living hell for them and still get their teeth stuck in where I'd rather they didn't! One of the blighters even managed to work its way through said socks and started tucking in between my toes. :eek:

Is there anything out there that will stop the beggars?

I honestly don't think there is a chemical that would deter ticks significantly. The last carcass I took home I did a bit of an experiment with and hung it over a tray of water over night to catch any stowaways jumping ship and was amazed at the payload that had tried to jettison and been trapped in the water the next morning!

I had checked around the genitals and usual places for ticks and whilst they were there as expected it didn't look excessive. Let me tell you, the water was literally covered in ticks (from adults to tiny nymphs), keds and mites.

I also put the head (looked fairly clean) into a clear plastic bag and put a squirt of insecticide in and sealed it. The bag was riddled with more tick nymphs, mites and keds the next day.

Makes you think about how many bail out, when you do the gralloch, in the boot of the car etc!.... :eek:

There were a few ticks still attached 2 days later whilst skinning that for some reason hadn't realised the host had expired. I could see the inflammation on the inside of the deer's skin where the bite was.... some of these ticks had died in situ too for some reason?! The real eye opener was finding the odd tick still on the carcass that had crawled to a high point to wait for the next host. Just passing my hand in front of them was enough to stimulate them to reach out to grab hold. I'm convinced they first look for a heat source and then once aboard look for somewhere palatable to bite (dark, not noxious and next to skin). Which makes me think that chemicals are not going to deter them from hopping aboard, merely make them look for some exposed skin, which they are going to do anyway.

I reckon your best defence is mechanical. If your trousers are tucked into gaiters, you are wearing wellies etc then you are going to make it hard for them to find somewhere to get stuck in.

The second line of defence is vigilance. These arachnids are excellent at what they do. Their whole existence depends on food 'just walking on by' they are not going to pass up an opportunity if they can help it. We are all going to get bitten at some point and most likely a lot of us already have without ever having known. Be vigilant, but don't panic if you do find one. Just remove it in the prescribed way and keep an eye on it. Also keep an eye on what looks like mosquito bites as they could have been left by a tick that has already jumped ship.

They deserve respect certainly, but common sense and a 'weather eye' should keep them at bay!

Alex

If you can get hold of a substance called Peripel10, which is a permithrin based treatment for clothing, its very good. We use it in the military. If you cant get hold of it drop me a PM. Its about as good a chemical as you can get for detering insect pests, but as with most things of this nature nothing can provide 100% protection :(

jordang said:
If you can get hold of a substance called Peripel10, which is a permithrin based treatment for clothing, its very good. We use it in the military. If you cant get hold of it drop me a PM. Its about as good a chemical as you can get for detering insect pests, but as with most things of this nature nothing can provide 100% protection :(

This is the stuff that you dip your clothes in,isn't it? I didn't have any ticks on me when I used it.

Ps. Very informative post csl (Alex)

jordang said:

I would recommend you read and comply with the safety data sheet that comes with Peripel, it is VERY DANGEROUS! Also do not throw excess mixture near ANY watercourse! :evil:

I have to agree with Iwcdart,back, sac and crack for your Scotland tour in the Autumn .
There's not much of you the little b*ggers will suck you dry.

Cheers
Moose

Thanks for the tips guys.

Moose and LWCDart can save their weird fantasies to themselves....ain't no fool getting within spitting range of me with a bowl of hot wax!!

As for the Scotland tour, the .270 is polished and ready so get your notepad out, you'll need some tips to get onto this shitty stalkers' register!

Where we were back in NY, ticks were a massive problem. The northeast (US) is the worst area in the country for ticks and Lyme disease. Any time I took the dog for a run in the woods she'd have a couple crawling on her. I treated her monthly with Frontline so we never had a problem with ticks staying on her. For the most part, the frontline plus repelled them, and any that did bite in would immediately release. That still didn't stop them fom coming home with us so as noted above vigilance is the best remedy. After being out, the dog would get a good check over and we'd be able to pick out most of the bugs. Rarely would they get burried before we got back to the truck. After that I'd constantly be looking over the dog when we were in the house. For me, as soon as I got home I'd hop in the shower and give myself a good check over. We only had two instances of ticks digging in between my wife and I. She found one in her scalp one morning in the shower (I had been out the night before) that I was able to pull out. I also found one on my elbow that must have attached overnight.

For personal protection, 100% DEET always did pretty well in keeping them from crawling onto you (as in when sitting down), but the ones that drop onto you will drop no matter what. You jsut have to watch for them.

thanks
rick

I found sucking an old mothball works a treat! :lol: you won't be snogging any barmaids , after though!! :eek: Funningly enough AVON SKIN SO SOFT does the trick a slight oil based lotion !. bit puffy smelling but it keeps the gremlins at bay !! But you gotta stay downwind !! or all the Deer will want a look at it , and dabbit behind thier ears pre rut!.
Trapper. (ITS IN THE AQUA COLOURED DISPENSER ) coupla quid!.

deer man said:
jordang said:

I would recommend you read and comply with the safety data sheet that comes with Peripel, it is VERY DANGEROUS! Also do not throw excess mixture near ANY watercourse! :evil:

actually, as far as chemicals go its not particularly dangerous when used properly. It is however nasty to aquatic life. ;)

jordang said:
deer man said:
jordang said:

actually, as far as chemicals go its not particularly dangerous when used properly. It is however nasty to aquatic life. ;)

I would say having to wear full chemical proof PPE including a gas mask when you use it pretty dangerous! :confused:

deer man said:
I would say having to wear full chemical proof PPE including a gas mask when you use it pretty dangerous! :confused:

The time when I had my clothes dipped in it, the fellow was taking our trousers & jackets,wrapping them round a broom handle & dipping them in an oil drum full of the stuff.
Although he had an overall on, when he rung the clothes out, some of the permithrin hit him in the face, I know this was wrong of me, but I had to stop myself laughing, I have never seen a man move as quickly in all my life!

Back