Taking a rifle to Ireland from mainland U.K.

ian67

Can anyone tell me how easy/difficult it is to take a ferry from Scotland to Ireland with a rifle/rifles in my car? What i'm asking is it lots of hassle if i wanted to take a trip stalking to Ireland with my truck and rifles? cheers,Ian

Taking the rifle is simple - you need to apply for an Republic of Ireland visitor firearms certificate from the Garda and a deer stalking permit (which needs nominated stalking ground) from the Wildlife Department, which costs about €60 for both and takes 6-8 weeks, then you just roll onto the ferry with your rifle in your truck, bung your bolt in your pocket and go. You are supposed to declare your rifle at customs on leaving the UK but there never seems to be anyone there when we travel, or in Ireland on arrival.

HOWEVER (!) you can't take ANY ammunition on the ferry at all. This is a major pain, particularly if you reload or shoot something in an even moderately obscure calibre, as you'll need to buy factory ammo in Eire and shops with a decent choice of affordable ammunition are few and far between.

Hope this helps,

Adam.

Adamant, cheers for the info. The 6-8 week wait for the visitor cert rules me out then. thanks again, Ian

Also, please be aware that your UK FAC does not cover you for Northern Ireland. You need some sort of temporary permit here also. Not sure of the details.

"HOWEVER (!) you can't take ANY ammunition on the ferry at all. This is a major pain, particularly if you reload or shoot something in an even moderately obscure calibre, as you'll need to buy factory ammo in Eire and shops with a decent choice of affordable ammunition are few and far between.Hope this helps,Adam"..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................Hold on that’s a bit unfair but probably true!!! if you are having problems regarding ammunition in Ireland inform me before you travel and I will have the contact details ready for the nearest dealer that would have the ammo you require.Some great dealers in South Wicklow North Wexford but the best are in the Midlands.Glendine.

Last edited:
I now go to Holyhead with rifle and ammo, drive on , drive off and go stalking no problems in the past 13 years. When I first flew into Dublin I collected my gun from the carousel, I then walked through customs and eventually found a Gard. I stated that I had a firearm, he asked me if I had a licence which I did I had my europoean firearms pass, he said that will do (never checked it), after that I use to collect my guns and sometimes my spaniel from the carousel and just walk out.

i believe the no ammo applies to the high speed boats due to the soft hulls. I am not suggesting for one moment that you dont declare ammo but i have travelled a few times on the ferries out of dublin to holy head and not once was i asked to produce a rifle, i was only asked for an FAC once in holyhead. you will more than likely only be asked if you have ammo.

"HOWEVER (!) you can't take ANY ammunition on the ferry at all. This is a major pain, particularly if you reload or shoot something in an even moderately obscure calibre, as you'll need to buy factory ammo in Eire and shops with a decent choice of affordable ammunition are few and far between.Hope this helps,Adam"..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................Hold on that’s a bit unfair but probably true!!! if you are having problems regarding ammunition in Ireland inform me before you travel and I will have the contact details ready for the nearest dealer that would have the ammo you require.Some great dealers in South Wicklow North Wexford but the best are in the Midlands.Glendine.

Back