Help - saying grace at shoot supper

willie_gunn

Help!

We have our shoot supper this coming Saturday and I've been asked to say grace before we all sit down.

Does anyone know a suitable version?

willie_gunn

Some hae meat and canna eat,And some wad eat that want it;But we hae meat, and we can eat,And sae let the Lord be thankit.

Oh Lord who made both sun and rains,
look upon these charred remains
and in your mercy think no ill
of our poor cook's lack of skill.

I can remember what we used to say at school, if it's of any use
"For what we are about to eat, may the lord make us truly thankful"

Depends who is present really (whether they are expecting a pointless bit of poetry) but if you believe you are saying it to someone who is listening I don't reckon he cares much so long so long as it is genuine!

Help!

We have our shoot supper this coming Saturday and I've been asked to say grace before we all sit down.

Does anyone know a suitable version?

willie_gunn

For what this bunch, is about to munch and crunch, may the lord make us truly thank full, amen .

An alternative to the Selkirk grace .

When growing up out west in Colorado and Kansas it was popular with oldtimers to proclaim at grace much to the shock of the ladies, "Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!". This is most appropriate for stalkers too!

Before: Benedictus, Benedicat (blessed is He, may He bless [this food])

After: Benedicto benedicatur (may the blessed one be blessed)

Some hae meat and canna eat,And some wad eat that want it;But we hae meat, and we can eat,And sae let the Lord be thankit.

+1

My mum was a Scot and growing up in Australia we said that grace every night - with the addition of "God bless the cook!" by my dad....

Lord, heap blessings on the soup and leeks
Heap blessings on the stovies
Heap blessings on the Jews and Sikhs
The Muslims and Jehovies
Heap blessings on all gathered here
On absent friends and strangers
And if you've any blessings left
For God's sake bless the Rangers

Back