.308 favourites

delta wolf

I am sure its been done before but am new to reloading and wonder what others use. i appreciate every gun is different etc but i need to start somewhere!! I have been using a remington 150g soft point (they were cheap!!) with Varget and getting reasonable results but would like to try other combinations. I am shooting a Tikka t3 lite.

any ideas appreciated.

Andy

150grain Speer boat tails over 46.3grains RL 15 lapua brass CCI Primers very accurate round in my .308

150gr Sierra HPBT MK, 43.5gr N140, Lapua brass shoots one hole groups at 100m in my Sako.

When I started loading for my 308W I got some of the Hornady 150 grain Spire Points as they were relatively inexpensive and an internet trawl seemed to indicate that everyone got great accuracy out of them. I found that they worked well on deer and they were also very accurate indeed plus with reloader 15, the only powder I really tried due to availability, I got 3000fps out of them. I have since moved to Nosler Partitions as they sometimes put chest shot sika straight down which the Spire Points never did however they are not so accurate and I'm only launching them at about 2700fps. I'd say your Varget will probably work just as well as the RL15 and, to be really honest, any reasonably prices cup and core bullet will probably work as well as a Hronady Spire Point so my advice is to buy what you can get a reliable supply of.

150grn Sierra SP Gamekings over Varget in Federal Brass and CCI primers accurate (about 3/4'' at 100yds) and little damage to carcass.

150grn SST's over Varget in Lapua brass and CCI primers, oustanding accuracy (1/2" or better consistantly) with a bit more damage to the carcass but nothing to worry about.

Swings and roundabouts come to mind...

Thanks everyone, you cant beat others experience, i will try some of these and report back. keep em coming!!

Hello Andy, this is my first time to comment on anything as i'm a new member here. I shoot a .308 often and have been for a number of years. All these posts are good choices so i would not say one is the best. I say this because rifles are the same but different. I use Win. 748 under a 168 gr. SMK with astounding accuracy. I can change to a 165 gr. hunting bullet with the same accuracy. You have a very accurate rifle to start with so you have eliminated one of the opposing factors. Just start low and work up with you loads. Good luck and good hunting. .......SEMPER FI!

I have been using Sierra 150ggrn Prohunters, with 44grns N140 (seems a popular weight) I am on my last few and may well get another box, unless anyone has another suggestion ?

Back