Thread: MickH introduction

Smile MickH introduction

Hi every one... well I'm ancient now but still have a lot of breath left cause I found out when I was scampering -yes scampering up the very steep steep banks atween the trees on a farm owned by a good friend of mine in Ballindalloch...
    It's many a year that I've been in love with that land & being as my pal said (mid November 2012).... You'll be wanting te tak a deer hame wi ye ? I took up the offer & was roaming around for a couple of days & it brought back some very fond memories of the place. As usual the roe were more alert than I was & as usual I did see them but as always they see me afore I see them. The second morning however I did spy one through my binocs about 100 yds away but it was in cover of which there is plenty there and all I could see was the rear half which is frustrating when you need to see the front half at that range - perfect then it dissapeared into thin air so no wonder they call them the 'fairies of the wood'!

I have always got plenty of rabbits up there but there was none around there but on the other side of the river there were a few and I got 4 to take home --- lovely rabbit stew.

The weather was bloody freezing so I didn't hang about long but I'm looking forward to going back when it's a bit warmer.

I've had shot guns over 50 years for the pigeons but didn't get a 22 LR till I was 50 odd because I could always borrow my pals anytime so long as I kept on 'his' ground of course. I only got my own 22 & then a 222 because my pals scope was with my eyesight - diabolical... We were once roaming around one night & one of the young pals said shoot it atween the eyes ! I said -I canna see it's bloody eyes so I had to request that I get my own rifle which I'm very glad I did... Only thing is I might have made a mistake because I realize that although a 222 is capable of dispatching animals larger than roe I should have got a 243 and because I reload my cartridges I could have loaded the lightest in 243 for the foxes and then heavier for the roe and the heaviest for the reds. As a sensible bonus it would have been legal for roe in England / Wales. I've always wondered why the likes of Richard Prior says the 222 might become legal for roe in England but it has never gained this status here ? I fully agree with him when he says in his book Modern Roe Stalking -- the 222 is a deadly round in careful hands.... Ah well ----must stop rattling.
    Last edited by MickH; 25-01-2013 at 22:42.

Welcome to the site,

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Welcome MickH

Next time your in Ballindalloch why not visit Callum Ferguson, it may be an expensive visit, but would be money very well spent.

Best regards

Hello and welcome