Finally bought my new .375h&h

deerstalker.308

Well, I've done it, finally filled the vacant slot on my FAC for .375 holland and holland, I bought a CZ 550 from Donaldson's gunsmith in Milton Keynes, who I have to say were really very helpful, had plenty of stock, and were willing to do a good deal, god it's been a while since I've been so complimentary of the gun trade in this country!
Picked up a box of federal 300grn soft nose too so I have got something to play with in the short term before I get stuck into reloading for it, it's on open sights currently, so a bit of confidence building on the range is all I'll be doing for a while I suspect, but it fits really snugly and although its a heavy beast it is really easy to hold steady on a target so I look forward to christening it at some point soon!

Sounds good, I have a CZ550. Are you going to shoot UK deer with it or is it for hunting abroad/range shooting ?

I can do pics if you insist, but to be fair, it is a pretty standard cz, I will oblige though, fear not! Buckaroo, hell yes, uk species, it's conditioned for any other lawful quarry, although I will probably resist using it for bunny bashing and nobble the occasional red with it, can't wait, although, the first shot might be a bit tentative as I'm used to my moderated .308, not 300 grain bulldozers!

I can do pics if you insist, but to be fair, it is a pretty standard cz, I will oblige though, fear not! Buckaroo, hell yes, uk species, it's conditioned for any other lawful quarry, although I will probably resist using it for bunny bashing and nobble the occasional red with it, can't wait, although, the first shot might be a bit tentative as I'm used to my moderated .308, not 300 grain bulldozers!
Didn't know you could get one of those for UK species. Wicked. Enjoy

I truely like the 375 H&H MAG . My first was a Ruger #1H that I traded before ever firing it . I got a Interarms Mark X Whitworth that had been stocked in a nice piece of walnut . Worked up a load for that one using the no longer made Nosler 260 grain BT . Took it whitetail hunting one day . The first deer I saw was directly under my stand so I aimed straight down almost between my feet and let fly , needless to say the doe piled up right there . Worked the bolt and caught the brass , reloaded and saw anouther one trotting by about 40 yards away so I let fly at her also . And as you may suspect it was boom flop . That bullet does a bang up job on whitetails no pun intended .

Those were the only two whitetails I killed with that rifle . I later traded it back to the fellow I got it from for the Ruger #1H 375 H&H MAG I had before . And that is the 375 I own to this day .

I've also worked a bit with my gunsmith buddies CZ550 375 H&H MAG and his gun shoots Federal Safari Grade 300 grain loads very nicely , almost as well as the handloads I did for the gun !

wow thats a big one, what will you be useing it for.

Well, it was bought with the intention of being able to do just about everything I would ever need, primarily the justification was as a caliber suitable for use in the likes of France where my .308 wasn't allowed, but who knows where I may end up shooting with it in the long run, I thought about 9.3 cal but general consensus was that it wasn't so suited to Africa (not that I'm planning heading there any time soon, but I would love to at some point). So, for now, it'll be a back up for my .308 should anything ever happen to that rifle, I will no doubt christen in on a red at some point soon once I'm confident with it, although I hope the first deer it takes isn't a muntjac as they are the alternative on my patch...... but really, who cares, just looking forward to using it!

The 375 is not only a powerful cartridge but it is also exceedingly accurate. I've had one in one form or another since the mid eighties. The current model is a Winchester M-70.~Muir

Very nice, good to know you got one with no issues.

Well, I had to justify it to be fair, Suffolk played by the letter of the law, and I gave them everything they asked for so it all worked out fine, I do think though, that were it not for regular trips to north Wales, i might not have been so lucky, i think it was that that swayed it for UK use, they weren't overly keen on it being solely used in Suffolk.

If you have good reason anyone can have one in this country for all deer species great on foxes

Doesn't matter what bullet you put in these they all group the same great round and great fun to shoot

Last edited:
Hi
Good to read another joins the 'big boys club'!

If the 300grns are of concern you might try 220/225 Hornady - pretty sure the extra weight in the CZ will attenuate.

I have the Win M70 Safari/Express?, renewed recently again for all use.

L

Hi
Good to read another joins the 'big boys club'!

If the 300grns are of concern you might try 220/225 Hornady - pretty sure the extra weight in the CZ will attenuate.

I have the Win M70 Safari/Express?, renewed recently again for all use.

L

Well, I'll give the 300grn a go and see, it's only double the weight I'm used to.......! Can't wait. Also really tempted to keep this one as open sights, I fits so nicely, with such a good sight line when t firmly on the cheek piece, not sure i want to stick a scope on it. Also, just an observation, but the set trigger is utterly rubbish, there's so much creep before it engages, the main trigger is crisp and sweet, and not too heavy, but think I may be adjusting the set trigger or just forgetting it exists.

I have a .375 but dont have a licence to use it in this country. How did you get permision to use it here? Congratulations on your purchase by the way!

I have a .375 but dont have a licence to use it in this country. How did you get permision to use it here? Congratulations on your purchase by the way!

Does anyone bother to read the Police Firearms Guidance?

13.34 Calibres such as
the .375 (9.5mm) are at the lower end of
those suitable for shooting “dangerous game”
but may, once initial “good reason” has been
established, also be used for shooting the
larger deer species in Britain. Expanding
ammunition may also be authorised for an
applicant whose certificate allows for the rifle
also to be used for shooting deer in Britain.

Does anyone bother to read the Police Firearms Guidance?

13.34 Calibres such as
the .375 (9.5mm) are at the lower end of
those suitable for shooting “dangerous game”
but may, once initial “good reason” has been
established, also be used for shooting the
larger deer species in Britain. Expanding
ammunition may also be authorised for an
applicant whose certificate allows for the rifle
also to be used for shooting deer in Britain.

exactly, and this statement was in one of my emails I sent to the feo when they questioned my application, they can't argue with the law.

Back