some advice please chaps

BI9JOHNNY

i have been shooting for near 30 years this year but have never gotten into the stalking side but would like to, not in a big way but maybe 2/3 times a year and not medals so please give me advice on the following if you would be so kind
a, if i shoot my first deer would the stalker show me how to gralloch properly as being quick on the bunnies doesn't give the experience required
b, is it best to go through a company or accept an invite
c, if using a company would i get to keep the carcass , as this is something i would want to do
d, can you shoot more than one in a day on a paid stalk
e, when you take the carcass home it would need hanging before butchering and freezing so would i take it home out of the skin and headless so as to hang in the garage for how long
f, is there a company/agent anyone would recommend for a total virgin like me
g, being as i am the build of a roundabout are there stalking opportunities that dont involve yomping over moors and mountains
h, and out of curiosity how much roughly would i pay for said trip

i thank you in anticipation
regards
john

i have been shooting for near 30 years this year but have never gotten into the stalking side but would like to, not in a big way but maybe 2/3 times a year and not medals so please give me advice on the following if you would be so kind
a, if i shoot my first deer would the stalker show me how to gralloch properly as being quick on the bunnies doesn't give the experience required.yes
b, is it best to go through a company or accept an invite depends on which ever you feel comfortable with.
c, if using a company would i get to keep the carcass , as this is something i would want to do yes,but for a fee,at current game dealer rates.
d, can you shoot more than one in a day on a paid stalkyes,but again this depends on who you choose to go with,and will carry an additional fee.
e, when you take the carcass home it would need hanging before butchering and freezing so would i take it home out of the skin and headless so as to hang in the garage for how long,some guides will help you skin the carcase,and some will have access to a chiller,so you can take it home and butcher it yourself,some will also offer this service.
f, is there a company/agent anyone would recommend for a total virgin like me,you will not go far wrong with those advertising their services on this site,and if your lucky to get an invite from a generous sd member,great.
g, being as i am the build of a roundabout are there stalking opportunities that dont involve yomping over moors and mountains.yes,you can use a heigh seat
h, and out of curiosity how much roughly would i pay for said trip,this is where everyone price will vary,you may have a better success rate in the doe season,and this may work out cheaper,you will have an basic outing fee, possibly shot fee if your successful then carcase fee should you choose to take the meat home,the guides on here will be more than willing to give you a price.

I hope this helps in some way.

Hi John , I'm no expert but here's what I'd say :

a. I'm sure any guide would talk you through the gralloch
b.id do both !
C.youd have to buy the carcass at the game dealer rate so for smaller species £40 or under but more for the bigger animals
d.it depends on what you've payed for , but don't threat you'll definitely be told what you can and can't shoot .
e.it doesn't necessarily need hanging , but I hang my roe for 7-14days depending on the age of the animal , I always hang it in skin .
f.theres loads , but I've had good experience and sucessful hunts with Sikamalc or jelen deer pm me if you'd like there numbers .
G.if your an overweight bloke tell the outfitter and they'll tailor the trip to your capabilities but be aware that it could make you less likely to kill as it will be much harder to stalk in on a deer .
H.depends on the species you hunt and who / where you hunt with . I'd say for roe stalking taking into account you want to keep the carcass about £200 for a full day . I'm presuming that you'll be wanting to use an estate rifle too which will cost extra .

Do bear in mind though mate , there is EVERY chance you'll pay your money and not shoot a deer . It's the generally accepted rule that due to the deer being wild , there is no garuntee you'll see or shoot. Deer .

As to price, just back from a trip to Sutherland, shot 7 hinds in 2 days and it cost me £400 inc B&B, fantastic!!!

If your a member of BASC ring them, you can go own to Norfolk have a day stalking shoot as much as you like ( as long as its within their cull) they will show you how to gut etc yo will a veto pay for a carcass though Alford e exceptional price of £90

Back