Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Loss of an Excellent Hunter

The Loss of an Excellent Hunter

Ladies and Gentlemen,
    With your permisson I would just like to tell you that today I had to have my favourite Lurcher 'Poppey' put to sleep. A rapid acting bone cancer had taken hold before we had time to even notice. She bore the pain without complaint and did not bother us with her own problems. On her last walk along the riverside she scented for foxes and mink and her steely eyes looked along the tree line for Grey Squirrels a hunter to the end. I gave her a hunters send off and drank a fine Malt Whiskey and toasted her memory and remembered her many hunting exploits.

She will sit at the fireside now of a great hunting lodge in the company of other great hunters Hound, Hawk and Human.

It may sound daft to some, but that dog was everything to me and she will be sorely missed.

Thank you for listening.

Kind Regards Beowulf, Steve.F

My sincere sympathies, it's very hard to explain to someone who hasn't had the experience of owning a very "personal" dog just how attached you get to them and what a loss they are when they inevitably go.

You will have others in the future that you feel almost the same about but you can never completely replace that special friend.

sad news

I am sorry for your loss

Sorry to hear that.

Best rgds

I had a whipit staffie named puppie die about 18 months ago at 15 sh was still mousing and rabbiting 3 weeks before she died. I will never forget that little dog but it does get easier.

All the best

Sorry to hear that mate. It's the one great sadness that all dog owners face, I always tell myself never again but, like most dogs there are days when you just don't listen. The particular joys bought to you by a dog can never be replaced, the good thing is they can be added to by other dogs.

It will get easier Steve

Sorry to hear of your loss Steve, Poppy may be gone mate but the experiences and memories will last for ever.

Thank you all for your kind thoughts. The thing is, its the shortest day of the year and its been dark all day. Poppey was a tall, 27in to the shoulder rough coated 9 year old dog. She was a sunny blonde colour, even when she was going to the vets for the last time, the people waiting in the surgery all commented on her natural poise and beauty. Such a little sunray in the deepest and dullest of winter days. I'm so very proud of her and so very glad to have known her.

Its always been the same though I imagine, since man and dog first set off to hunt together those thousands of years ago. I'll wait until I get over my loss and look for another friend. I have four other dogs, Terriers and Lurchers, but it is'nt enough. I need a deer dog now. This government and the anti's and poachers have made it that Lurchers and Terriers can't go about what comes natural to them.

I just need to find that special dog now.

Very sorry for you and the family, Steve.
    All the best Mate.

Very sorry to hear that B. I am sure he is in his Happy Hunting Grounds as we speak.