Is this cabinet firearms approved??

204 Ruger

Hi, I have a full size 5 gun cabinet that my uncle gave to me when he downsized his gun collection. I currently use to store my ammo, powder, bullets etc. Its apx 10 - 15 years old and was an approved firearms cabinet at that time. Mhy question is does it still comply? Its the one on the right of the first photo. You can see the door hinges althoiugh inside the cabinet do protrude to the front, there is also a small gap at the lock side. Its made of atleast the same guage steel as the Brattonsound cabinet next to it adn IMO it would take the same amoutn of tie to get into either with a grinder or similar cutting tool.

I have my FAO coming on Thursday and may potnetially look to use this cabinet to hold 2 new rifles.

n the past few years?Any thoughts? Any of you have one similar to this that has been reviewed and approved in the past few years?

View attachment 24090View attachment 24091View attachment 24092

hi mate i make cabinets and i dont see any issues wih that one it looks like a double fold on the inner so that definately complies as to the gap you need a small one and with the internal fold it wont be able to use a pry bar ,have you got any verniers as the steel needs to be 2mm thick . the hinge isnt the way they are done now but it wont break even with force as i suspect the pin has been welded. the locks look like seven lever but would need to further inspect but i feel you will be fine, atb wayne
if you have any bother give us a shout as im sure it could be fitted with an internal bar hinge no bother.

Last edited:
Great, thank you for the quick response...Ill also bear in mind that you make them in case I decide to get 1 large one instead of 3 smaller ones. Ill measure it but its atleast as thick as the newer one next to it. Cheers

Last edited:
no worries like i said im sure you will be fine you could close that gap at the top by putting a wedge in the fold in the door to tap it out it looks like its had a knock on the door edge, but wait to see what your feo says, atb wayne

Yeah that top corner does fold in a touch. Ill had a closer look but that's how the steel has been formed, the plate inside stops any gap into the interior. Ill get my mate to weld a 4ft long piece of flat bar maybe 2 inches wide to the edge of the door so it covers the gap completely.

Last edited:
As I understand it (the Home office guidelines) there is no police approved/not approved cabinets as every case is different. They look at 3 layers of security. 1 being the cabinet 2 being the home security and 3 being local potential for crime (I might have paraphrased a bit).

Usually people go with the mainstream manufacturers as it is peace of mind and less potential for hassle.

As I understand it (the Home office guidelines) there is no police approved/not approved cabinets as every case is different. They look at 3 layers of security. 1 being the cabinet 2 being the home security and 3 being local potential for crime (I might have paraphrased a bit).

Usually people go with the mainstream manufacturers as it is peace of mind and less potential for hassle.

the cabinets must conform to a bs standard that being double folded front return on the door it must be fully welded . They like the single bright bar hinge but i have seen other configurations it also must be at least 2mm thick and that is a basic cabinet other rules apply with ammo safe inside, atb wayne

just to add i wouldnt add the flat bar because you have just put a pry bar area to the front of the cabinet defeating the object of the double fold internally if it wont knock out leave it as is as you wont be able to leaver it as the bar will hit the return and pop off so no pressure can be used ,hope this helps wayne

just to add i wouldnt add the flat bar because you have just put a pry bar area to the front of the cabinet defeating the object of the double fold internally if it wont knock out leave it as is as you wont be able to leaver it as the bar will hit the return and pop off so no pressure can be used ,hope this helps wayne

Gotya, cheers Wayne

the cabinets must conform to a bs standard that being double folded front return on the door it must be fully welded . They like the single bright bar hinge but i have seen other configurations it also must be at least 2mm thick and that is a basic cabinet other rules apply with ammo safe inside, atb wayne
There is no requirement to conform with a BS standard, a GUIDELINE of minimum standards is also published in the guidance. Even these are not a requirement, as every case should be judged on its merits.

Don't get to hung up on whether or not a FEO will approve, the critical thing is when the criminal justice system lets some career crooks out to burgle you will it keep them out? atb Tim

There is no requirement to conform with a BS standard, a GUIDELINE of minimum standards is also published in the guidance. Even these are not a requirement, as every case should be judged on its merits.

I do not even think it is a legal requirment to have them in a cabinet.the law says they have to be secure.they could be in a secure locked room.for most people however it is conveniant to have them secured in a cabinet

Dont know about cabinet. But it would look better with a tikka m595 17 rem sat in it

Back