How many knifes do you take stalking ?

Big Kev

Googled Karesuando knives & came accross this, anyone on with their level 2 should maybe give it a miss.

Last edited:
I carry two . But only one for use , the other is a knife I sort of carry for good luck .

Incidently on my property behind our home I never gut in the woods but rather bring them out whole , hang them and then skin and gut or just gut if I am a little pressed for time .

The knife I use generally for gutting is a Buck with two blades . One blade is a drop point and the other is a saw with a guthook . I've been using something along this line for over 10 years . Had this one for about 4 years and before that I had a three bladed Beretta knife that was a clip point knife blade , a guthook blade and a saw blade .

The dual purpose kinda knife has come in handy for me in more ways then one !

Of course it's excellent for gutting Sika , whitetail and black bear as well as skinning . But the guthook works like a zipper when it comes to opening the body cavity and last but not least the saw blade is always usefull when I use a climbing stand up a new tree !

I carry two . But only one for use , the other is a knife I sort of carry for good luck .
+1
i use a buck with guthook and carry a folder buck 110 just in case i lose it and a steel in sack
i also have a pair of pruning shears for ribcage work or other on my belt kit :british:

Last edited:
2, which seems to be the norm ;) from comments above. A Fallkniven F1 which does most of the work and a folding Buck with gut hook.

I carry two, one in a knife pocket. The other fitted onto my rifle sling with tape, have been know to leave my main knife at home!

Al

I take a mora orange handle knife which i always have attached inside my smock with paracord onto the d-rings and on my belt a buck woodsman which is my lucky charm!!

Interesting to see that the Gerber knives used in the video are made in the USA but the Gerber crap i use, er sorry own, are made in china.

Ian.

its because you bought cheap gerber mate , I know I've done the same . But if you spend considerably more , as I did for my brothers birthday you can buy the gerber gear made in Portland Oregon . It's good stuff too , shame they had to devalue the brand with crud .

When stalking I usually carry three, they being a Buck Cross Lock, Boker Tree brand with stag handle that lives in the knife pocket of my stalking trousers and a knife in my day pack which may be Boker Arbilto, Frost Apache or a Sheffield made knife. That way I always have a back up even if the day pack is left in the vehicle as has happened more than once..

I think the answer to this is far too many. On my person I have one on my belt, one in a pocket in my stalking smock and a third (Opinel) in my trouser pocket. I also have a Sagen sawin a smock pocket. Then in a bag I carry in the car with replacement wipes, gloves, cable ties etc.etc. there are three spare gralloching knives and a spare Sagen type saw.

But there's are always enough to lend one to a forgetful friend.

Simon

Back