Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Which calibre is best for fox and deer?

Which calibre is best for fox and deer?

Hi Folks

The purpose of this post is to help a friend whom is looking for some advise on which calibre to get for fox and deer in the UK.

I use a .270 and love it! It will drop any UK deer and as for a fox, well I've never seen one survive a hit from a .270. I also think it a beautifully flat firing round and depending on the number of grain bullet you choose you can drop anything from a fox to a healthy size boar and even a stag but that's enough from me. Now it's your turn, So please give your opinions and thoughts.

I'm aware that in some counties in the UK the .270 is not deemed suitable for fox according to the police but we are dorset based and our FAO is happy for .270 to be used on fox.

I look forward to you your comments

Many thanks

Suppose If I was looking for one gun to do both then I'd go for the 6.5X55 Sweed. Nice flat, easy shooting calibre.

I do like my .308 too.

Section 161 of the Highways Act 1980 (England & Wales) makes it an offence to discharge a firearm within 50 ft of the centre of a highway with vehicular rights without lawful authority or excuse, if as a result a user of the highway is injured, interrupted or endangered.

25-06 will fit the bill perfectly but then so will a .243 or .30-06 lots of choices out there to choose from

I could just imagine the look on my FLO's face if I asked to use my 30.06 for fox

7mm rem mag has just become my new fox/deer gun used to be .243 then 30.06 but this is the one for me now if i'm going after fox.

Anything as long as it's legal and you are accurate with it!

We always have the calibre debate but when you look at LOS Drop etc it really doesn't make that much difference - I personally think things like bullet choice, stock length and scope height are probably more important than calibre as these determine accuracy and the effect on impact/bullet deformation.

I like my .243... But it's a sako 85 so why wouldn't I! Fits me nicely and never had a fox or roe run, have lost a fallow but that was my fault.

i'll get a cheap .308 when I've got some money - reason being you can get them cheap and ammo is easy to get/load.

My favorite is the .260 rem. I don't need to sing its praises !
    Last edited by splash; 29-01-2013 at 12:22.

+1 on the 6.5 x 55. Good all round calibre, soft on the shoulder and extremely accurate round

Thanks Alwyn for starting this thread, I don't really want this to be an "Oh dear another calibre thread" thread. I am trying to choose the correct rifle/calibre correctly the first time, I don't want to do another variation

My FEO is happy to grant me a .270 but a few people are suggesting the .243 and the 6.5x55, so here are my points of view.

1 .243 is great starting rifle and is minimum for deer, but I feel (maybe wrong don't knock me) think it is the "just enough round".
    I don't want just enough, only to want to upgrade in a short time, lots available and not expensive, and rounds cheap too.

2 6.5x55 seems to be the next step up and well worth a look at, cheap rounds and rifle cheap are available too, but this seems more a target shooting rifle (so would I get a rifle that has had 5000 rounds through?). This seems to be a round thatís very close to the .243 in ft/sec

3 .270 seems to be the best round for me anyway, ft/sec is high I know but this seem to be the best alternative to a 308 (which I can't justify at the moment and think would be way too much for me anyway). These are available but are not the cheapest and the rounds are not the cheapest either, but how many are you realistically going to blast away in day?

So there you have my argument/opinion for this thread, hope that helps justify the thread?

7mm-08 Remington
    140 gr BTSP for deer because it's bigger and slower, 1.2" high @ 100 yards & 1.2" low @ 200 yards
    120 gr SP for Fox because it's lighter and faster, 1.1" high @ 100 yards & 1.1" low @ 200 yards
    But then either will do nicely for both and more.