Longe range courses

Henry Straker

Does any one know of a longe-range rifle course that is held in the UK? I am particularly interested to learn about all the factors that will influence a bullet's flight path (500m plus) however insignificant, how to measure and make suitable allowances for them.

Longrange

I have pursued a few leads on courses but none have got me anywhere. Riflecraft presently aren't able to do anything because of technical issues with the range they use.

I would be really grateful if anyone could just show me a dry run of what they do when taking a 600 meter plus shot. I am looking for a quick intro so as I am familiar with the various facets I need to consider and subsequently study up on in my own time. What equipment is used, what variables are you measuring and how are you compensating for them etc. etc.?

I'm sure that Lee @ Border barrels would be happy to advise you either by e-mail or a short chat on the phone, he was the other half of the team on Griff's long range weekend, he was also a gold medal winner in Canada, once you have it explained , it becomes a lot less daunting, & Griff & Lee had everyone on the course achieving first round hits @ 600 for starters, Probably the best weekend I have spent shooting that didn't involve live quarry! Just a shame Griff isn't planning another anytime soon. Steve. 8)

Was trawling the web & found a guy shooting deer @ 1000+ yds in NZ, using a7mm/404 suppressed, longrangeshooting.com he even humps a table/bench gear on his back up the mountain! :eek:

another one you can try,is WMS-firearmstraining.org .its in mid wales,has at least 4 1000yards ranges,so you can shoot out to that distance at all angles you can think of, :eek: .bin there myself can expect to shoot at least 100 rounds++.good relaxed instrutor,good safe surroundings,and bloody good fun,full size steel animal targets,(would be surprized at the hold off on a 600yard roe deer target)worth a look at least,good luck. :Dnot saying to shoot a beast at that range,just interesting to see the elervation needed.

finnbear270 said:
At these distances, holds are better achieved using a mildot or other ranging reticle.

Nope

you are better dialing in for the drop.

Providing you have the right equipment - although we are talking steel targets not live animals..

WMS is an excellent venue by the way.

Your opinion :lol: , I find it quicker to tailor a load with a chrony & some good software, like EXBAL, & just raise the rifle to the correct range bar or Mildot. I dont reckon on getting all the clicks right in the pi**ing rain is an option. 8)

Whatever works for you best.

I prefer using chronograph then setting out targets at known distances and working out drop, then comparing bullet drop with ballistic programme to make sure predicted (software) reflects actual drop.

Longer winded way, but this works for me.

Dialing in - yes it can be a PITA, but if you have dialable turrets (like the PM11's I use) they work just fine and are easy to read in any conditions.

Horses for courses - no way is "best"

:D

Redmist said:
Whatever works for you best.
Horses for courses - no way is "best"
:D

Quite true, but if were talking long range shooting a lot of people on here would do well to listen when you offer advice on the subject. ;)

ATB

Tahr

Yes that would be Greg Duley and Editor of NZ Hunting.

I read his articles with great interest and in his latest mag I have just read about a system he uses to verify his actual dial up values against the dial up via his Ball software (he uses Infinity V6) which I have never come across on any of the forums.

Very knowledgable bloke and I very much enjoy reading his articles.

He is currently running a series of articles called PYR (pimp your rifle) where he starts off with a stock Remi XCR in 7mm Mag and then gradually accurizes it starting with homeloads to crown to replacing the stock etc etc and then eventually re-barrels in 7mm SRUM (not a short mag cartridge btw).

I am using a 7mm Mag XCR which has been accurized for long ranging at the moment so have been following his articles with great interest.

Sorry for the off topic tangent btw.

Cheers

JB

Back