410 shot pistol

I dont no

hello, i am looking for some information and hopefully someone on here can help. I have a slot on my FAC for a 410 shot pistol, but i cant find one.

I have tried on line, local shops and york guns.
i have also approached a section 5 gunsmith who says it isnt possible to shorten a shotgun, nor can a rifle/ pistol become a shot pistol.
American stuff all has rifling (for .45) so isn't allowed in this country.

I have thought of a judge or a derringer but i want at least 6inches of barrel after the cartridge as I want to actually use it.

If i can chose i would like it to be screw cut for a moderator (yes i have that too), and a removable choke (like the american stuff)

i know i dont ask for much! any info would be appreciated.

That's going to be some bit of kit if you can find one, I wish you luck. Do you mind me asking what you have it for? Ratting?

I have already spoken with viking arms, thay said they couldnt help me. Maybe I got them on a bad day.
There is a humane dispatch guy (Bradshaw) who said he use to have them, but not any more.

Hence why I am asking on here.

(jubnut - yes, and rabits all close range stuff)

Last edited:
Who says that you cannot have a rifled shot pistol on a FAC?

ChrisC might be your man

Section 4 of the 1997 Act says you can have a section 5(1)(aba) short firearm BUT it must be a smoothbore. This is why the taurus judge importer guy savage had smoothbore variants made which then pushed it into another category ie a revolver gun and they were then confuscated as Section 4 only applies to section 5(1)(aba) firearms.

I once saw a break barrel .410 pistol it was quite old with bakalite grips,quite a unique piece,if you can find one this sounds what your after

You may find one at one of the classic/antique arms fairs. I doubt that any original would have any choke in it tho'.
There are plenty of muzzle loaders available if you fancy that option. Slow to reload but lots of fun & you can shoot shot or ball out of them.

Ian

Yorric & nemo - Thanks, I have used the one of the old belgium ones, double with bakerlight grips.
Land keeper - High impact over short distance on a moving target.
BASC FD - Thanks I will give that a go.

It does amaze me that it is so dificult to sorce one of these.

I had a Belgian made hammer 410 pistol years age with a curved rounded wooden grip, In lovely condition I thought it would be ideal for rats/ferreting. In the end I sold it as although it was a really nice gun I hardly ever used it, in fact I hardly shot anything with it, rabbits just seemed to ignore it!

In the days when coppers did FAC renewals I had a real row with one who said I clearly didn't need it as there was no ammo listed for it on my FAC. I pointed out that I had a 410 shotgun as well and could buy all the cartridges I need by just going into a gunshop and getting them. He was going to confiscate the pistol but I phoned up the Licensing office you told him not to be a dickhead!!

that's exactly my point they don't offer that facility:lol: i used to work for a man with an amazing collection of firearms, which included a double 410 pistol, it was the most demoralizing thing i have ever used , have you ever had the recurring dream where whatever you shoot at keeps running , i have i think that 410 pistol was the gun that instilled that dream in my head , the only thing i ever found it was good for was making noise and euthanasia of sheep

High Impact, from a shorter barrel?

Have you been on the 410 website? If not, you NEED to do so...as the ONLY way to achieve good stopping power using a shot pistol will be with home-made buckshot ammo
BUT
You will then have the issues of a reduced shot charge not patterning very well - so it'll be a LOT of practice needed to determine what distance the gun/load combination is effective at, then sticking to ranges within that distance

contact chrisc on here he sells them he section 5 dealer. i have one to purches but i am feeling it not sutiable for the job i reqiure it for?

many different uses from terrier work to dispatching wounded deer to humane dispatch of livestock ( cattle and sheep) police granted a 410 pistol as they thought it would do the job and to see how i get on with it! but on speaking to other users its not quiet up to some of the jobs required so am reaplying for a centerfire pistol of .38 or 357 or .44 cal.

it's a good tool for sheep , end of dig scenario ,as far as anything further than 15ft forget it (that's with normal shot sizes available in .410)

thanks to all for the pointers on where to look and who to ask.
i spoke with chrisc today he doesnt have anything at the mo but is going to keep his eyes open. we did have a good chat tho.
I think I am looking for a single barrel falco (with 10 -12 inch barrel) or something simalar.

Back