Boar information?

Monkey Spanker

I've just found out that there are a group of Boar within a mile or so of my house!! :eek: Nobody knows where they came from as there are none anywhere near here. They are not welcome in the area due to outdoor pig units etc.. and the chap that shoots the land has been asked to remove them all. He has so far shot a small male. They are not on any of my ground yet, but i want to be a little more prepared in case they move after the harvest which is quite likely. Also, I cover the deer RTA's in this area and might meet Mr Large Piggy one dark night on the side of the road. :eek: Can anyone recommend any good books about boar as I would like to broaden my knowledge and be as prepared as possible. I realise that I cannot become a great boar expert/hunter from just reading a book, but i have to start somewhere!
Oh, before anyone asks, I do have a slot on my ticket for a 30.06 for boar! I just haven't bought one yet! :oops:
Thanks in advance.
MS :)

Hello MS

Type in WWW.britishwildboar.org.uk There is a lot of info there and they may have links to books.

I believe Standbuck was joking about the .243 for boar as we all know the minimum caliber is .270 Boar must also be on your certificate it is not covered by vermin.

PREDATORCONTROL said:
Hello MS

Type in WWW.britishwildboar.org.uk There is a lot of info there and they may have links to books.

I believe Standbuck was joking about the .243 for boar as we all know the minimum caliber is .270 Boar must also be on your certificate it is not covered by vermin.
Cheers, I've already looked at that site which is pretty good. The vital organ section in the shooting bit is interesting as they are obviously a bit different to deer! I would still be interested in any books though but suspect most are in 'German' or similar?
I do have boar actually stated on my FAC too which took a small amount of negotiation seeing as we didn't have any locally at the time!
I don't even have a .243 so no need to worry. Normally use a 25.06 which would probably do the job but I'd rather get something a bit bigger. Some of the reds around here are too big for a 25.06 really! I think the 30.06 is clearly the 'way ahead'! ;)

Amazon also has this book. Wild Boar in Europe By Laurent Cabanau
(available second hand) I have this book and I've read it and it's very good on the Biology and other aspects.
A lot depends on how 'tame' these boar are. So many farmed releases are F1 crosses so have a lot of domestic in them. My experience is from Europe with true wild baor (well past 100 shot now ) and we could learn a lot from them. Once these pigs know they are being shot at, high seat is the only solution.

Stand Buck said:
270 is NOT the minimum calibre there is no min calibre in the UK for boar.

I have a friend in Dorset who uses nothing but .243 for the boar on his land.

I was only joking with MS though :lol:

blimey stand buck
i don't doubt the ability of a .243 on boar
but certainly feel you need big cahooneys to use that as your preferred calibre of choice :evil:

i presume he has boar as a condition for the .243
and what dog does he use for follow up work??

wild boar and high seats

I agree with countrysports5 high seats are necessary but not our little ones. I used to work on an estate in germany we built free standing ones that were quite high certainly bigger than your 3 meter jobs. Wild boar are very clever but greedy so a lot of shooting is done at feed stands.
Unfortunately when you start to get a population appearing everyone and their dog wants a piece of the action using all sorts of calibers. This is the best way to eradicate them or scatter them and usually people go for the big males and lead female sows creating unrully juvenils which cause more problems.
I was in the chip shop today and overheard a guy say he was off shooting boar tonight. hmmm just the sort of silly action that goes on no respect for unwritten seasons etc .
Your have the right idea MS read books ask questions and keep in mind that they are a highly regarded game animal on the continent. After all they have been continually hunting them since before the advent of rifles :)

If you get called out to a RTA involving boar never follow a injured boar with out a dog. If you use a dog that will pull down deer and it thinks it will do the same with a boar you end up with a injured or dead dog. Never ever enter thick cover looking for a boar you need a trained dog to flush or bay the boar. If the boar is laid injured by the road side always approach the boar from behind.
The spread of boar in Sweden has been partly due to naughty hunters trapping and releasing them around the country. Boar are quite ease to trap till they wise up.
I'm will be looking for a puppy to train for tracking deer and boar for a mate of mine in England this year so in a couple of years there should be at least one trained boar tracking dog in the UK ;)

Have a look at this
http://vimeo.com/8078233

PREDATORCONTROL said:
Hello MS

Just had a look at the website. Plenty of info on there and they don't seem to be too biaised either way as to the control of our boar population.

Has anyone watched the video on there of the driven boar shooting? Would anyone with knowledge of that discipline be able to comment as to whether they are a reasonable representation of driven shots? Seems like plenty of them are shot well back :cry:

Novice

As i under stand it the video clip is from several driven shoots. Driven shooting is great sport ask all those people who go fron the UK to Foreign parts to shoot boar. Lets face it there are many "stalkers" in the UK who have a job to kill a deer cleanly while it is standing still. Shooting boar over fed stands is a good way of shooting boar but it has been noticed here in Sweden that once the novelty wears people don't go so regular and boar soon wise up to that as well.

As has been mentioned before on several threads about shooting them with unsuitable weapons.

Some body takes a shot at a boar and wounds it and it runs off. Several miles away and several days later on a pheasant shoot the line of beaters enter thick cover with there spaniels and young lads in the beating line. In the thick cover is layed the wounded boar. Whats going to be the outcome? What are the news papers going to say?
Boar aint going away and you will not be able to shrug your shoulders after taking a shot and say " I think i missed" like many do with deer.
So stop worrying what they do abroad and think how the Stalkers in the UK are going to handle the boar problem thats coming. It won't just be by shooting them from high seats.

Me and my brother have been shooting pigs in the uk for about six to Severn years.
The following is some of the things we have found.
Generally if you have pigs visiting ground fairly regularly they will normally respond to being fed quite easily.Chopped or whole maize seem to be favorite but i know boys who have had success with barley.make sure you bury feed or you will feed all the local badgers,deer and birds.
If your feeding close to a wood that doesn't belong to you you can draw them to where you want by moving the place you feed them about 50 yards every couple of days to where you finally want to shoot them. I prefer to get them 150 to 200 yards from the wood to allow for runners.A word of warning it doesn't take many pigs to make a lot of mess.Check with the land owner before you start feeding.
High seats are not necessary but advisable i have shot them sat under hedges,sat in barns or just sat on a bank over looking baiting points.
Pigs might not see you but they will wind you ,once they do you will hear a loud grunt and see there little piggy arses disappearing into the distance.
Once you get them feeding don't shoot them to soon, let them get confidence they will be easier to shoot when there feeding confidently they seem to be very greedy and almost oblivious to there surroundings when there is large group of pigs feeding with confidence.
As for calibres we have shot them with .270 .308 and 300wsm
if i was buying a rifle to be used mainly on pigs i would opt for .30 cal.I have had no problems with the .270 and the biggest pigs we shot have been with .270 but i always seem a little more comfortable with the .300 in my grubby little mitts.
Try not to shoot big sows shoot the piglets of her normally she will bring them back to the feed at least a few times therefore allowing you to shoot a couple.
Finally before you shoot a monster think how you are going to retrieve it big pigs are pain in the arse to move i learnt this the hard way :oops:
I must say that i do not proclaim to be an expert not by a long chalk .I hope what i have wrote is some use or of interest to someone despite my spelling mistakes and bad grammar.Perhaps Mr davies would like to add something to what Ive wrote rumour has it he's managed to scrape the odd one down now and then :D
ATB SEAN

Back