Too wet for ducks

Alan413

The duck pond at the estate that I do the beating for. Asked me in I wanted a pop at some duck coming in to the pond. I was well excited. The keeper a Good friend off mine said they were eating 15-20kg of wheat a night. In other words a hell of a load of ducks.
Got there at 4 nice and early. We walked in and piped a couple off as they got of the pond. Then split up to go to our hides. Sitting there until 630 and not a sole came in after that what a shame. Wet and windy night I though they would have been pouring in. Maybe just to wet for ducks ha ha.
Think on the bright side my wee cocker got a couple of really good picks. Always fun Watching her work.
All in all not a bad wee night. And as they say "you can't shoot them sitting in your living room"
that's shooting

Had this a few years ago on a pond I used to feed
bag of wheat going each night
when I went to walk the ducks off in the morning so they would not stop there all day , there would be in excess of a hundred duck
arranged an evening flight and sat a few evenings prior to see how and where they flighted in to
the first few came in on dark and that was that
finally by midnight did the flight really start when they came in in their droves

Alan , we shot our pond this evening not expecting much as it was frozen on Monday . Manage to shoot 10 Teal 3 Mallard . A few pints after , a nice way to end the season .

Chill

Nothing better than flighting ducks. The whistle around you years best nose ever. Or the wee toot of a teal

The moon is still pretty full, so they most likely came in after dusk. I bet tomorrow they will steam in, in their droves to enjoy their end of season party - with the exception of the foreshore!

never shoot duck leaving a pond . You might find feeding less is better , put lots of food in and they have all night to come in , put a bucket full in every night and its first come first served so they have to rush in and you get an early flight

Well well it turns out you can get freshwater sole. Not in Europe though. When you read my post did you think I was an "R" sole?

Back