Graphic images of head shot gone wrong!

Jelendeer

Hi everyone,

Just like to draw your attention to the dangers of head shooting wild deer.

We have posted an article on our blog entitled The Dangers of Head Shooting Deer, and included a couple of graphic images to reinforce - especially to newcomers into the profession/sport - why great care should be taken to ensure precise bullet placement and consequent humane treatment of animals, and to avoid where possible the head shooting of wild deer unless it is an absolute necessity.

You can view the article by clicking on the following link:

THE DANGERS OF HEAD SHOOTING

Included in the article is a simple checklist that can hopefully help people to avoid inflicting this type of suffering on deer.

DISCLAIMER: Please be aware that the images in the article are graphic, and some viewers may find the images upsetting, offensive and/or disturbing. if you feel that you may be affected by such images, then PLEASE DO NOT VIEW THEM.

Best Regards,

Mike.
(Director - Jelen Deer Services) Jelen Deer

Not trying to score points but I would have added waiting for some minutes in readiness. Approaching within 30 seconds was a mistake. Easy with hindsight I know.

interesting post, coincidentally, I was in a local game dealers this week (they have an attached shop) whilst talking to one of the butchers, he stated they would not buy deer that had been heart/lung shot! apparently he considered it to cause a loss of value to the carcass! personally I think it encourages people to take headshots that otherwise they wouldn't.this post shows the consequences of a near but not quite on-target shot.

Good post, game dealers have a lot to answer regards taking heart lung shot ,theres nothing thats hard to trim away , and if you weighed it it would be a tiny amount , any new comers be safe and respectful to your quarry and heart/lung them .

I bet the fella that hit it in the jaw was relieved to hear it had finally been dispatched humanely...

If head shootings your thing and you shoot enough deer i guess the above must be inevitable at some point..

Good post.

I have argued with a professional highland stalker on many occassions of the drawback of head shots.
I have seen both hinds and calfs require second (and at times third) shot to down after a misplaced head shot.
Engine room for me all the time unless VERY close

ATB

CVK

Causing non fatal injuries is part of the job if you shoot enough deer (or not enough) whether you aim for the body, neck or the head.

We will never agree on this subject on here but sometimes folk forget that non fatal injuries are not solely as a result of head shooting.

The most important lesson beyond all the talk and argument is that whether it is an intended chest, neck or head shot you are going to take, is to know not only your limitations, but to also use the correct equipment and bullet for the intended job, and to learn what offers the ideal opportunity in decreasing this risk and to not be pushed into taking the shot for any reason!

Last doe (and my first) that I shot was a head shot - not intentionally!!!
The shot was on for a normal broadside chest shot with the doe, head low, looking in my general direction - not spooked or anything
As I squeezed the trigger the doe seemed to move her head back as is to scratch something or possibly look round behind her.
The shot caught the head went thro' and into the top of the shoulder.
Luckily it went thro' the brain and killed the doe immediately.
I normally take a photo of all my kills but this time it was not a pretty sight and i refrained.

Ed

Causing non fatal injuries is part of the job if you shoot enough deer (or not enough) whether you aim for the body, neck or the head.

We will never agree on this subject on here but sometimes folk forget that non fatal injuries are not solely as a result of head shooting.

The most important lesson beyond all the talk and argument is that whether it is an intended chest, neck or head shot you are going to take, is to know not only your limitations, but to also use the correct equipment and bullet for the intended job, and to learn what offers the ideal opportunity in decreasing this risk and to not be pushed into taking the shot for any reason!

Jamross,

Well said I feel. On the basis that we accept any shot can go somewhere other than where intended, it seems there was only one actual faliure here; that being the shooters faliure to reload and remain ready to fire for an adequate length of time (if at all by the sound of it).

Whoever the shooter was has learned a valuable lesson and fortunately the beast was picked up in the end.

It amazes me the number of people that do not reload as soon as possible after taking the first shot and are often unwilling to accept that it is a good idea even after DSC1 etc etc etc., Most probably change their minds after the first time a beast tries to get up again.

Aside from the occassional coup-de-grace shots that I have made on almost expired animals, this could have happened to me once, fortunately I had listened to what I had been told and the second round was just about in the chamber before the first brass hit the ground. Second shot finished the matter in a second or two.

Last edited:
The Game Dealer might whinge about having loss of meat, but that's nothing compared to what this poor b*gger went through...

If you get this demand in the future, show him/her the photo, and ask how much respect they have for what we try our hardest to achieve - 1 shot and drop.

I appreciate that they are running a business, but come on... Cut out the waste and pay me on what's left as I'd rather keep my integrity and show respect for my quarry (MY quarry, not theirs, mind you).

Just my opinion

Cheers
i.

i had this chat many years ago with a good stalker now in the happy hunting grounds ,at the time i was young and trigger happy and thought i could shoot the eye out of a knat at 100yrds i was insisting that head and neck shots were the only way to go . He listened to me and just said 'take the shot that kills the beast not the shot that might ' his reasoning was that is you put a shot through the heart lung area it will die fIarly rapidly if not there and then , if you take the jaw off or crease the neck it will still be alive days later , having found a couple of jaw shot deer over the years it's not a shot i would take again unless i had to

I want to view this vid, but I know I mustn't, I know I wouldn't sleep soundly till the thing faded, I do head shoot, but I limit myself to close encounters.

I want to view this vid, but I know I mustn't, I know I wouldn't sleep soundly till the thing faded, I do head shoot, but I limit myself to close encounters.

There are a couple of photos, but pretty graphic. I'd suggest lining up an episode of Peppa Pig on youtube to counter the nustiness :)

Cheers
i.

The most important lesson beyond all the talk and argument is that whether it is an intended chest, neck or head shot you are going to take, is to know not only your limitations, but to also use the correct equipment and bulletfor the intended job, and to learn what offers the ideal opportunity in decreasing this risk and to not be pushed into taking the shot for any reason!

jamross. You couldn't have put it any better. Fortunately most people who are at this job full time soon learn that not only is there the feeling of guilt that you caused a beast to suffer but it also eats up a lot of energy and time to deal with the wounded animal. This is why we need to practice shooting all the time to keep our skills honed. I shoot a lot of deer and when I told a client that I still go and practice he looked at me and said "why do you need to practice when you are shooting so many" My reply was "I can shoot so many because I practice" . As you say shoot within the ability of your tools, conditions and self. If then there is still a mistake made then you have to deal with it the best way you can. That's where a good dog comes into its own.

The thought of blowing an animal's lower jaw away is something that gives me the willies, even when I'm just potting bunnies with the .22
Must be a hellava way to go.

If you shoot enough, no matter how careful, one day you will wound.
So be extra careful and reduce this risk to almost zero.
This can happen as well with centre chest shots, but there is more margin for error

Three main problems with headshots
1 very small lethal target area
2 the animal can move its head suddenly as you take the shot.
3 from the side view the lethal area is only about 10 percent the rest is jaw nose etc.
so no side shots

apart from that a good head shot is the mostinstant and humane shot ....but also the most likely to fail
if you are going to take the shot consider a whistle to get the beast looking straight at you.

and of course shoot...reload...shoot.... reload
if in doubt shoot again
safety on
check the beast is dead
now unload

Back