270 bullets for Moose

tusker

As the title suggest,s. What would the minimum wieght of bullet siutable for this beast. Also any thoughts on the make and type. I was thinking of Nosler Partitions.
many thanks, Tusker.

I don't hunt moose. (I just try to avoid hitting the stupid things when they are standing on the highway) but I would go as above: long, heavy, and well constructed. Last year on one of our "Hunting Channel" shows there was a fellow trying to prove the suitability of the 140 grain / .270 loads for moose. He shot that bull 5 times from 50 yards and it finally just fell over. Disgusting bit of poor shooting (and I believe he was no marksman) followed by a weak voiced exaltation of the load and bullet. My gut instinct would be to go for penetration on something that size.~Muir

I am in Leicester...so a bit away from Sussex. But I do have two part packs of both the standard, 150 grain Nosler Partition 150 grain and the now discontinued 150 grain Partion Gold. This having even more of the bullet shank back of the partition and, I think, the partion being extra strong.

I think that there are forty of each type. I would be happy to sell BOTH packs but, as you know, would need to be both face-to-face AND I'd have to enter them on your FAC.

I could however bring them to the Shooting Show at Stoneleigh next weeked...

I spend too much time reading this New Zealand based website:

.270 Winchester

I haven't tried them myself but he speaks highly of the 150grain Hornady SST, candle annealed and loaded to 2900fps...

Many thanks. P.M. sent.
Tusker
I am in Leicester...so a bit away from Sussex. But I do have two part packs of both the standard, 150 grain Nosler Partition 150 grain and the now discontinued 150 grain Partion Gold. This having even more of the bullet shank back of the partition and, I think, the partion being extra strong.

I think that there are forty of each type. I would be happy to sell BOTH packs but, as you know, would need to be both face-to-face AND I'd have to enter them on your FAC.

I could however bring them to the Shooting Show at Stoneleigh next weeked...

I don't know what the current production is but Speer used to make the Grand Slam bullet in 150 Grain that I would have thought would be a good choice for larger quarry like Moose. I also wonder about the bonded Fusion bullet?

Speer Grand Slams absolutely rock in the .270 - I bought tons of them for peanuts from Sloane's of Inverurie and use them in 130 & 150gn for pigs, Sika etc. They'd be a great bullet for moose, as they perform much like the Partition.

All of the above bullets will work well. One of my hunting buds has used a 270 with 150 gr Nosler Partitions for moose,elk and black bear for years with excellent results. The partition golds have a great reputation here, but finding them is a problem.
The 270 is a reliable killer on large game but as Muir pointed out, good shot placement is important. The same can be said of any calibre however and a 270 is a milder recoiling round which makes accurate bullet placement far easier.As paul at barony says moose are a strangely soft animal and not particularly hard to kill ( I've found elk and black bear far more tenacious of life) but they are large and a good bullet with deep penetrating capabilities is neccesary
Good hunting AB

Ahhh Lee unless they have improved them drastically then your one of the few that I have heard of that have gotten them to shoot well.

i have no complaints with them what so ever and i have shot some big lowland reds with them , and to be honest i would take my home loads and my 270 anywhere in the world and shoot anything accept dangerous game .

i have no complaints with them what so ever and i have shot some big lowland reds with them , and to be honest i would take my home loads and my 270 anywhere in the world and shoot anything accept dangerous game .

Lee those I know who have tried them most failed to get any repeatable decent precision grouping out of the Barnes bullets. I believe all but one has given up on them and are using other makes.

Norma do a 156 grain Vulcan load which is very good, I would say that would be a good one if you can get hold of some, I know Grahams had some in. Also Nosler do a good 160 gr partition that hits like sledgehammer and penetrates very well if you're into home loading. If you are handloading depending on range I would personally try and keep velocity under 2700 fps to prevent bullet failure I hear Moose are pretty hardy but that's just me I've never hunted moose but I have been to Africa and hunted larger game there. Also where do you plan to hunt, if you don't mind me asking as I think in some countries there is a minimum bullet weight of 10 grams for Moose.

regards

Snag

Last edited:
140 gr Barnes TSX , 150 gr Swift A-frame , 150/160 gr Nosler Partition , or the 156 grain bullets by Sako or Norma.

See if you can talk someone out of some of their stash of "failsafes".
I horded several hundred in this caliber as did many others when they were discontinued.

Cheers Sharkey

My friends in Norway use Norma Oryx exclusively in all their rifles for shooting moose. Having seen the sweet jar 2/3rds full of recovered heads in the slaughter house I would agree with their choice. Norma Vulkan are another good choice

in terms of quality the Partitions, oryx's etc are always quoted
(I am lucky to have a stash of Partition Golds!)

Nosler do a 160gr Partition in .277

what about the Woodleigh range of Protected point and heavier weight bullets they do for .270 for larger African and Australian game?
They do a 180gr Protected point

Protected Point

Woodleigh Bullets 270 Winchester (277 Diameter) 180 Grain Protected

a 160-180gr doing 2500fps is IMO more useful on a Moose than a 150gr doing 2850fps

Back