Confused

Bertie Dastard

One of my permissions gives me written authority to control Deer, Fox and Vermin using my .308 Winchester. My certificate is conditioned the same.

I have recently applied for a .223 slot for Fox and Target shooting.

Talking to my shooting buddy earlier, Who has permission on the same land. He says that when he asked for the same thing (last week) His / My FEO told him he would need another letter allowing .223 to be used on the same permision

Surely if 308 is ok then why not .223 :confused:

The Farmer uses a .270

I know that there are many differences between conditions imposed depending on the issuing force but where I am its requested that your written permission is caliber specific.

Last edited:
If the land owner has given you permission to shoot the land and the police have passed the land for a center fire rifle it shouldn't matter how many rifles you want to use on the land

Sussex clear land "up to" a certain character - so land I have cleared for .243 is fine for 222 or 223

One of my permissions gives me written authority to control Deer, Fox and Vermin using my .308 Winchester. My certificate is conditioned the same.

I have recently applied for a .223 slot for Fox and Target shooting.

Talking to my shooting buddy earlier, Who has permission on the same land. He says that when he asked for the same thing (last week) His / My FEO told him he would need another letter allowing .223 to be used on the same permision

Surely if 308 is ok then why not .223 :confused:

The Farmer uses a .270

they are treating your app as if you had no permission and are unlikely to grant on the basis of an older letter that might only have mentioned the larger caliber and maybe not foxes. They worry that if they grant and the landowner hasnt agreed for foxes to be shot they will be criticised. All rather petty but you do have to show good reason for initial reason to own it.

I doubt they will refuse my application as I am a member of two clubs with full bore ranges.
My permissary letter definately states Fox.
If they want another letter to allow it for Fox. I will get one when we go in April. (The variation might not even be back by then)!!!
Hornady SST 150g 30 cal flavour will work just as well until then.

I would have thought they would approve of using a lesser caliber for lamping !!

Remember that for every caliber you apply for you will be required to demonstrate good reason, ie landowners authority to use it on their land.

For that very reason, when I give someone permission to shoot on my land, I never specify caliber. I just write any legal caliber.

Back